NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Digital Event E3 2014: BYOP

It was one big game for 2014 away from being perfect :)

Not true.... I expected more gamepad innovation from Miyamoto's games. I expected some VC announcements of some kind. I expected to see more of Zelda.

But then we got Splatoon and Mario Maker... And everything they did show was amazing. Easily the best anyone had to show and gets me really excited for 2015... in fact the whole industry looks exciting in 2015!!

Easily their best E3 since 2010, but not on that same level for the fact that most of the lineup isn't coming till next year. Still, even this year's lineup is looking good really. It's already looking better than last years' one and there's still time for more to be added on top of that too :)

But really, it can't be stressed enough just how great a show they put on here. The new format was a rousing success all around! :D A massive improvement from last year, to the point that I don't miss the lack of a live conference at all! (Ok, so the 3rd day of Treehouse Live could've done with less repeat showings of games we'd already seen and more time spent on other indie titles that weren't there, but it was still a great show that went a long way to drumming up interest in these games and helping to highlight and humanise the developers and the people within NOA Treehouse itself!)

Here's hoping that they make it a standard for the years to come! Maybe they can bring over more people from NOE next time too! (A live public Q&A with the Treehouse/NOE folks would also be great!)

Edited by Dcubed

Of course the one thing thats still on my list of irks with the WiiU is the lack of support of some of its features so i hope we get a nintendo direct soon that mentions Gamecube etc VC content (although i suspect this will be held until smash and the gamecube adaptor is released) and T fucking Viii!!!!! god damn it its like some aweful prick tease there on the screen and the menu's taunting us saying come touch me....for nothing nada zip........

But certainly the best covered e3 in years, with some amazing games announced from everyone not just nintendo, but i do feel Nintendo came out on top purely on their amazing format which would be the equivalent of say a 12 hour conference

Software I'd say it's close

It most definitely wasn't, IMO. Last year for instance, was better I think. 3D World, Smash, MK8, Donkey Kong, Wind Waker, Pokemon, A Link Between Worlds, X

They had a fantastic E3, especially in terms of coverage, but if we had last year's games with this year's format it would have been even more glorious.

I was a little disappointed with the software this year. Loads of great looking titles, but it was short one major one.

It most definitely wasn't, IMO. Last year for instance, was better I think. 3D World, Smash, MK8, Donkey Kong, Wind Waker, Pokemon, A Link Between Worlds, X

They had a fantastic E3, especially in terms of coverage, but if we had last year's games with this year's format it would have been even more glorious.

I was a little disappointed with the software this year. Loads of great looking titles, but it was short one major one.

Well if you're counting games that weren't due to be released in the same year that they were announced (since you're including games like Smash and MK8), then you have to also include the games that are due in 2015 and if that's the case, I have to agree with Serebii; this year's E3 lineup is much better.

Remember; X, ALBW, Pokemon X&Y and TWW HD were actually announced well before E3, so they weren't actually new announcements back at E3 2013... (Likewise, Yoshi's Wooly World and X aren't new announcements here either, but this is our first major look at them so they're basically the equivalent of ALBW and TWWHD at E3 2013 - and I think it's safe to say that they're a more interesting combo than ALBW and a remaster)

Edited by Dcubed

We'd seen a few renders of Wind Waker but gameplay wasn't actually shown off until E3.

Let's compare the reveals:

2013: Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong TF, The Wind Waker, X

2014: Zelda U, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Kirby, Mario Maker

I know which year I prefer

Just gonna give this Gametrailers recap a watch, see what these guys made of it

EDIT: LOL at the dumb Mii faces comment :p

Edited by Retro_Link

We'd seen a few renders of Wind Waker but gameplay wasn't actually shown off until E3.

Let's compare the reveals:

2013: Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong TF, The Wind Waker, X, Wii Party U

2014: Zelda U, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Kirby, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World, Starfox Wii U, Project Guard, Project Giant Robot, Project S.T.E.A.M, Pullblox World, Mario VS DK Wii U, Bayonetta 1 Wii U, Devil's Third, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Party 10, Fantasy Life

I know which year I prefer

Yeah, 2014 ;)

If you take out the games from last year, the likes of Bayonetta 2, X, Yarn Yoshi, Smash, etc. then the games announced this year aren't very impressive. Miyamotos games are dire, don't care for Mario Party, Captain Turd or Mario Maker. Splatoon might be good, we'll have to wait and see. Same with Kirby. Plus most of the games aren't out until next year. Zelda, God knows if that makes 2015. Other than Zelda there was no huge game announced and I really wanted to see more of it. Where's Metroid, F-Zero? Couldn't they have shown something from the new Fatal Frame? Mustn't be ready. Starfox wasn't ready....less said the better about that. VC, still waiting.

Still there was a lot to be positive about. Treehouse was brilliant. Easily the best aspect of E3. The presentation was good, great opening with Reggie and Iwata. Robot Chicken references were great too. The Smash tournament was terrific. X looks amazing, Bayonetta 2 coming along nicely plus delighted we're getting the original. Warming to Hyrule Warriors, so much better than it's initial reveal and it's a fine homage to the series.

There are some huge gaping holes though. Everyone's ignoring that nothing from 3rd parties was announced bar Devil's Third and that's rough as hell. I'm a Wii U only gamer and I'm not impressed with that situation. They didn't talk about that at all. I didn't see anybody press them about that and what they're doing to fix it.

Bar Smash, I don't think there's anything else for me this year.

Yoshi and Hyrule Warriors weren't revealed here and Bayonetta + the Miyamoto stuff hardly counts :P But I take your point, I forgot about Devil's Third and the party stuff from both years.

2013: Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong TF, The Wind Waker, X, Wii Party U

2014: Zelda U, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Kirby, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World, Starfox Wii U, Project Guard, Project Giant Robot, Project S.T.E.A.M, Pullblox World, Mario VS DK Wii U, Bayonetta 1 Wii U, Devil's Third, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Party 10, Fantasy Life

;) more like it.

Anyway I think the Gamecube had a better E3 year, and maybe the Wii too?

Edited by Retro_Link

Yoshi and Hyrule Warriors weren't revealed here and Bayonetta + the Miyamoto stuff hardly counts :P But I take your point, I forgot about Devil's Third and the party stuff from both years.

Well you did cheat by including TWWHD and X (which fit into that same category), so I'm just playing fair here ;)

;) more like it.

Anyway I think the Gamecube had a better E3 year, and maybe the Wii too?

If you're going to do that you need to cross Wind Waker HD and X off the 2013 list. Let's all play fair now : peace:

Plus, at E3 2013 there was plenty of disappointment around SM3D and DKC

Edited by electrolite77

If you're going to do that you need to cross Wind Waker HD and X off the 2013 list. Let's all play fair now : peace:

This is a good point, people were pretty disappointed with Mario, in hindsight it sounds stupid but we were. And Donkey Kong wasn't what we wanted from Retro!

Why do they need to be crossed off? It was the first time we'd seen gameplay footage of either.

I just think 2014 has some great titles like Splatoon and Captain Toad. 2013 had the big hitters + great 3DS content like Pokemon and A Link Between Worlds.

If last year's games had been in this year's format, it would have been amazing. Don't get me wrong I loved Nintendo's E3 this year but I think people are being a little unfair on their showing last year.

What terrible lighting, that was so horribly unscripted, they should have figured out what they were going to say beforehand. Some of them aren't even looking at the correct camera! Terrible.

[/Ashley]

;)

Well excuuuuuuse me princess for expecting them to give a shit about the work they do.

;)

Right, this has been bugging the hell out of me...

What does BYOP stand for?

Bitch You On Prozac?

Right, this has been bugging the hell out of me...

What does BYOP stand for?

Bitch You On Prozac?

Bring Your Own Penguins.

Bring your own post!

Donkey Kong wasn't what we wanted from Retro!

It really wasn't. :blank: Pity there is no word of a GOOD DKC this year to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Just be me on my own marking that occasion will it...? Yeah. You guys suck (sometimes). : peace:

It really wasn't. :blank: Pity there is no word of a GOOD DKC this year to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Just be me on my own marking that occasion will it...? Yeah. You guys suck (sometimes). : peace:

Maybe Nintendo will put the DKC trilogy back on the VC to celebrate. :D

Bring your own post!

Ha, I love Donkey Kong and loved Tropical Freeze. But we were all platformed out and wanted a wii u showcase from Retro!

Saw this on Gaf, from a few E3s back and it cracked me up:

yzxAURh.jpg

+

Oh shit did he really do this:

Z7kWJLN.gif

Da Boss!

Pity there is no word of a GOOD DKC this year to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Just be me on my own marking that occasion will it...? Yeah. You guys suck (sometimes). : peace:

Dramatic-WTF-Donkey-Kong-Reaction-In-Wiis-Super-Smash-Bros.gif

Tropical Freeze is at the pinnacle of 2D platforming. The art, the music, the variety, the fidelity. The tempo of that game and the way it is built for consideration, exploration as well as time-trials is perfect. The genius of Retro in full swing. They brought back Dixie and even revitalised Cranky. I'm surprised you didn't think it was good. :confused: