NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Smash Bros Invitational(spoilers, obvs) - Midnight tonight!

Am I the only one who thought Zelda Williams bringing a Majora's Mask with her was on instruction from Nintendo? How many teases!!!!

Funny you would ask that.

Mega Man Final Smash reaction:

Loved this moment, even though KDJ obviously just ran into the attack for the fans. Everytime a Smash ball appeared, the fans went wild for MM to grab it. :D

Well pretty much everyone did it at some point. I meant he didn't deserve to win in that final match itself...

I think we are getting things mixed up here. Hugs was Kirby not ZSS.

Hugs was just a douche all the way through. The Punch-Out stage was the worst as he just sat on the right for ages. So happy he got beat!

I'm still buzzing off this event. :)

This was just sooooo amazing to watch live I have no words.

I really hope NINTENDO will host more of these things.

Getting to see the Megaman Final Smash was one of the best moments of the night. Also cheered loud when Kirby caught all three of his opponents in his Final Smash and sent them all flying. Glorious chaos. Those moments sum up why I could never play Smash Bros. without items.

In the moment I was pretty unhappy with the way the final played out, but can't really blame Zero Suit for evading Kirby during those last few seconds. Kirby did douche it up something fierce in earlier matches while Zero was pretty much a constantly entertaining threat.

From the final it was also nice to see 'competitive' Smash might have some legs with this game after the overall disappointment with Brawl. I don't care about playing Fox vs Fox on Final Destination without items, but a lot of people obviously do.

Getting to see the Megaman Final Smash was one of the best moments of the night. Also cheered loud when Kirby caught all three of his opponents in his Final Smash and sent them all flying. Glorious chaos. Those moments sum up why I could never play Smash Bros. without items.

Good man! For Fun is the way to go!

I am slightly worried about the fact that the game uses the Brawl engine. Recovering back to the stage looked effortless and I didn't see a single kill due to the fact that a character couldn't make it back. It still feels a bit too floaty and I'm seeing many impressions from people there saying it won't really be competitive because, despite their being hit stun, it's very difficult to follow hits up as the knock back is too large (especially from throws). Hope it doesn't stay that way though...It will be a great party game either way but just needs a few tweaks to make it a great fighting game.

I am slightly worried about the fact that the game uses the Brawl engine.

I'm not! But I'm the minority of people who think that Brawl is more fun than Melee...

I am slightly worried about the fact that the game uses the Brawl engine. Recovering back to the stage looked effortless and I didn't see a single kill due to the fact that a character couldn't make it back. It still feels a bit too floaty and I'm seeing many impressions from people there saying it won't really be competitive because, despite their being hit stun, it's very difficult to follow hits up as the knock back is too large (especially from throws). Hope it doesn't stay that way though...It will be a great party game either way but just needs a few tweaks to make it a great fighting game.

My impressions:

-I did see people dying in the bottom (but mostly due to successful edgeguarding, true). However, most stages had low platforms/high ceilings, or were walk-off, which could explain it.

-Combos were a tad...inconstant. ZSSamus had this stun combo that only worked at times, but can easily chalked up to the players not having much practice yet;

-Some characters looked as floaty as Brawl, but fast characters like ZSSamus moved at Melee speed, which leaves me hopeful. Even Bowser looked faster than in Brawl.

-Finally, there are stories being reported about Nintendo representatives honestly writing down the players' suggestions (which included reducing lag when you land in the middle of an aerial move (a-la L-Cancelling), and adding dash-dance options)

Yeah, like you say, it seems like those needed tweaks will be made.

-Finally, there are stories being reported about Nintendo representatives honestly writing down the players' suggestions (which included reducing lag when you land in the middle of an aerial move (a-la L-Cancelling), and adding dash-dance options)

Intriguing, although given the mindset of most of those people. I'm not sure this is entirely a good thing.

At least for me...

My impressions:

-I did see people dying in the bottom (but mostly due to successful edgeguarding, true). However, most stages had low platforms/high ceilings, or were walk-off, which could explain it.

-Combos were a tad...inconstant. ZSSamus had this stun combo that only worked at times, but can easily chalked up to the players not having much practice yet;

-Some characters looked as floaty as Brawl, but fast characters like ZSSamus moved at Melee speed, which leaves me hopeful. Even Bowser looked faster than in Brawl.

Hope so! I just tweeted a Prog (the commentator) and he seems 100% sure it will be a great fighting game. Fingers crossed. Smash is my favourite fighting game and without jumping on the 'Melee is better than Brawl' bandwagon, I just want a game that has combos and a great meta game.

Intriguing, although given the mindset of most of those people. I'm not sure this is entirely a good thing.

At least for me...

Well, making the game better balanced and more fluid won't ruin it for people that preferred Brawl or just want to play around with items. In fact there was a recent 'What was wrong with Brawl' thread on Neogaf and even the casual fans were all saying it was just too slow and it took too long to get a kill.

Anyway, rewatching some of yesterdays stuff...the crowd hype was incredible. Jesus.

The only negative was Geoff :heh:

Well, making the game better balanced and more fluid won't ruin it for people that preferred Brawl or just want to play around with items. In fact there was a recent 'What was wrong with Brawl' thread on Neogaf and even the casual fans were all saying it was just too slow and it took too long to get a kill.

Anyway, rewatching some of yesterdays stuff...the crowd hype was incredible. Jesus.

The only negative was Geoff :heh:

I guess...

I mean, I love Melee. It's brilliant. Not denying that.

I just hope we still have infinite air dodging, I love that. It's one of the few things I absolutely despise about Project M. (The others being the terrible, boring stage changes and some questionable character changes. Toon Link and Squirtle's changes are just baffling, but the rest of the characters make up for that)

Oh, and Geoff made me laugh with his growing annoyance of Pikachu. Funny stuff.

I was surprised at how fast it was.

It definitely looks like it's leaning more towards the Melee side of things than the Brawl side of things.

If someone's camping in a 4-player match, you can only blame the other 3 in my opinion. Go after him goddamnit! Plus the Kirby guy did rack up kills pretty nicely, so it's not like he was only hiding the whole time...

Loved this moment, even though KDJ obviously just ran into the attack for the fans. Everytime a Smash ball appeared, the fans went wild for MM to grab it. :D

Hugs was just a douche all the way through. The Punch-Out stage was the worst as he just sat on the right for ages. So happy he got beat!

HE'S FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLDDDD!

and I didn't see a single kill due to the fact that a character couldn't make it back.
I did see Little Mac not make it back, but then he has shocking aerial moves/recovery.

One of my concerns was that other than NSMB and Pilotwings, that stages on display kinda sucked.

Actually Punchout was ok, but Animal Crossing, Skyloft and especially Megaman were boring as anything.

Really hope there's so more creative levels in their like Rainbow Ride and Pokefloats.

Edited by Retro_Link

I did see Little Mac not make it back, but then he has shocking aerial moves/recovery.

But DAT KO PUNCH!

Hilarious when he clocked the Luma with that. Cracked up there!

One of my concerns was that other than NSMB and Pilotwings, that stages on display kinda sucked.

Actually Punchout was ok, but Animal Crossing, Skyloft and especially Megaman were boring as anything.

Really hope there's so more creative levels in their like Rainbow Ride and Pokefloats.

I was fine with the stages (especially as stages are the few things we don't know much about, so I don't mind if they're a surprise on launch and we see just the same few for now) but just WATCHING that yellow devil looked annoying as hell. Ugh, I can't imagine actually playing it.

In some screenshots of the Megaman stage they show platforms going across the stage but the one in the tournament didn't have any of that... I imagine they're still working on it.

So I got round to watching all of this on Friday(tho ofc I'd already seen a few matches with you guys). I enjoyed it for the sake of seeing the game, though the obvious disappointing bits was the mad amount of final smash kills that ZSS guy got, and also seeing a few repeated bits of cheapness in places. We were all a bit tired though and possibly not giving it all the attention we could have(we skipped a few non-competition and 'fan favourite' matches), and tbh me and my mate were rather more distracted just discussing how beautiful the wii fit trainer lady(lilo?) was - it was even more the better that she played quite well given it's a brand new and fresh character. I also found the commentators a bit weak at times, though not really Prog, just the other two.

Twas nonetheless quite reassuring to watch, and realise the scale of it. This is Nintendo setting a bar just starting out with this game - I'm hoping it'll really give a new life to smash as a properly competitive game.

I'd agree with what a few others have said though - sometimes these guys looked like they didn't know how to play with items or in a 4-player match. One non-item thing that did bug me slightly was how much the yellow devil seemed to sort of interrupt play - but tbh I reckon I'd quite enjoy that stage and the devil when we play ourselves.

You DEFINITELY mean Hungrybox(and did earlier when you called him Hugs), Hugs is cool maaaan! Also he was Megaman. I did dislike Hungrybox a little when I saw the documentary, I disliked him even more seeing his playstyle in this at times. Avoiding stuff occassionally is one thing, but just completely trying to stay out is another. Especially when you're kirby and I wanna see you rock your moves!

I'm not! But I'm the minority of people who think that Brawl is more fun than Melee...

I really enjoyed what I saw! Also totes loved Brawl, probs more than Melee, but I'm happy to see this as a middle ground between the two in some places. The damage/KO threshold and speed, notably.

I also found the commentators a bit weak at times, though not really Prog, just the other two.

I've only seen the 41 seconds that made up the reaction to the Mega Man Final Smash and the commentator ejaculating has already put me off watching any more. I'm not sure what it is about the Smash Bros. series which seems to make American males constantly shout out the names of characters (See the Pokémon character reveal when Mewtwo was uttered approx. 2000 times), but Nintendo need to make some sort of patch to stop the effect.

You DEFINITELY mean Hungrybox(and did earlier when you called him Hugs), Hugs is cool maaaan! Also he was Megaman. I did dislike Hungrybox a little when I saw the documentary, I disliked him even more seeing his playstyle in this at times. Avoiding stuff occassionally is one thing, but just completely trying to stay out is another. Especially when you're kirby and I wanna see you rock your moves!

Aye, that's the dude I meant. Thanks for the clear up.

I didn't really have any issues with him during the Smash Bros documentary but I seriously hated him during the tourney, as did everyone who was in chat. :D

I've only seen the 41 seconds that made up the reaction to the Mega Man Final Smash and the commentator ejaculating has already put me off watching any more. I'm not sure what it is about the Smash Bros. series which seems to make American males constantly shout out the names of characters (See the Pokémon character reveal when Mewtwo was uttered approx. 2000 times), but Nintendo need to make some sort of patch to stop the effect.

That's every fighting game commentator :heh:

"Mag-FUCKIN'-Neto!"

Sign in to follow this