NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Smash Bros Invitational(spoilers, obvs) - Midnight tonight!

Jeez, the piledriver trick on the Boxing Ring wasn't cool. Don't bring cheap tricks into it.

Man, was I happy that Gonzalez won :yay:

Absolutely amazing event. Nintendo really nailed it. The chat room was so good, with all of us losing it ( in a good way ) when ZSS got the win.

I was so pleased MM got to pull off his final smash and the crowd erupted when it happened.

This has been the icing on the cake of a fantastic day for Nintendo. There's still more to come as well!

I don't want to criticize anything (because it was pure awesomeness), but NINTENDO......why not announce a character here?

Oh my lord that was amazing! So glad I stayed up for this! This has been the best E3 for years, so hyped I don't think I can sleep :p

I don't want to criticize anything (because it was pure awesomeness), but NINTENDO......why not announce a character here?

I do think this should've been Palutena's moment.

Oh my lord that was amazing! So glad I stayed up for this! This has been the best E3 for years, so hyped I don't think I can sleep :p

Ditto. What a day. And now I must collapse...: peace:

Great show, but the whole Melee fan wankery was so disgusting... These guys clearly have no clue how to play 4 player... No clue how to do anything out of Fox only, No items, Final Destination... They sucked so bad in 4 player... Even Zelda Williams did better!

That Mega Man player who purposely avoided picking up items was the worst! The Worst! He blatently threw the match so that Fox would win!

And the audience that voted for Fox over everyone else in the previous round... So transparent... Fuck them! He was the worst player BY FAR!

Kirby also got totally robbed in that last round. The ZSS player totally did not deserve to win (Time wasting wanker!)

BTW: How much do you want to bet that Sakurai is going to fix the Punchout stage so that Kirby's suplex throw doesn't bounce off the lights? ;)

It was awesome, my only complaint is that the players should have practiced using items more :p They clearly didn't know how to use them and the one guy actually avoided picking up the Fairy Bottle which completely heals you when he had about 120% :eek: Also no one seemed to know or care that you can attack Yellow Devil to make him explode and damage all the other players...

The ZSS player did well throughout the tournament, making good use of items and played smartly in the final against Kirby. Would you prefer it if he tried to attack Kirby when he had a clear positional disadvantage and lose the match entirely? Running the timer to go into sudden death was the best thing he could've done.

Kirby's up throw bouncing off the lights isn't a problem unless you're at high % and if you get caught by it at that point then you deserve to be KO'd :D

Kirby's up throw bouncing off the lights isn't a problem unless you're at high % and if you get caught by it at that point then you deserve to be KO'd :D

No, it was pretty bad. The percentage didn't even need to be high at all. It definately came across as a developer oversight moreso than an intentional tactic...

Also yeah I know that the smart thing to do would indeed be to time waste and hope for sudden death, but that's just such a cheap and lame way to assure a chance of victory, especially in a tournament like this it just rubs me the wrong way :blank:

Also I know it's unrelated but I did think it was kinda weird how some stages were far more polished (visually speaking) than others. The Mega Man and Battlefield stages looked so much more complete than any of the others (especially Skyloft, which had like no detail in the clouds at all). I know it's an unfinished E3 demo, but it was pretty funny to see :p Especially when I'm sure we've seen it looking more detailed before in other builds (I suppose they're probably not as stable and obviously in a tourney like this, they can't risk anything going wrong - though I did notice some weird pauses and stutters at the end of each match - ahh, unfinished E3 build software :laughing: )

Edited by Dcubed

Good show last night. Not sure if staying up until 2:30am to watch it was a good call, mind you. So tired this morning.

Good show last night. Not sure if staying up until 2:30am to watch it was a good call, mind you. So tired this morning.

Ditto. What a final though!

Kirby also got totally robbed in that last round. The ZSS player totally did not deserve to win (Time wasting wanker!)

You having a laugh? Hugs practically camped his way to the finals. I love it how the commentators essentially told on him. All he did was avoid the fights for the best part of the matches. Love it that he got beat!

Playing defensively for a few seconds is a perfectly valid strategy. I mean, it's either that, or rush into a likely death for little gain.

I think what I liked the most about this tournament, gameplay-wise, was seeing how characters like ZSSamus move as if they were in Melee.

You having a laugh? Hugs practically camped his way to the finals. I love it how the commentators essentially told on him. All he did was avoid the fights for the best part of the matches. Love it that he got beat!

Well pretty much everyone did it at some point. I meant he didn't deserve to win in that final match itself...

This was pretty entertaining. :D

It was cheesy and full of awkward moments, but definitely something that Nintendo should look to do more of in the future I reckon.

Also, was I hearing things (it was pretty late) or did one of the commentators frequently refer to a stock as a sock? :heh:

Playing defensively for a few seconds is a perfectly valid strategy. I mean, it's either that, or rush into a likely death for little gain.
It wasn't a few seconds though, the guy tried his best not to fight the entire way to the final. He was either staying out of the ring, hiding behind the yellow devil, or hanging off the edge where ever he could. And then he'd come out and grab a final smash. Tosser. Eventually the commentators saw it, but even then he just carried on, except playing up to it then.

Great show, but the whole Melee fan wankery was so disgusting... These guys clearly have no clue how to play 4 player... No clue how to do anything out of Fox only, No items, Final Destination... They sucked so bad in 4 player... Even Zelda Williams did better!

That Mega Man player who purposely avoided picking up items was the worst! The Worst! He blatently threw the match so that Fox would win!

And the audience that voted for Fox over everyone else in the previous round... So transparent... Fuck them! He was the worst player BY FAR!

That Mega Man VS Fox match was by far the low point of the night.

He clearly stood on an Assist Trophy with Fox nowhere near and didn't use it!

The true hero of the night was Zelda Williams. Way to shut up the people thinking she would suck!

That footstool jump on Link! Completely bamboozled him into getting him stuck under the stage!

DAT DOUBLE HOME-RUN K.O!

friday-damn.gif

(Accurate representation of our reaction to that)

Also, Greninja is just as glorious as I hoped he'd be. All those substitutes used to dodge Final Smashes!

BTW: How much do you want to bet that Sakurai is going to fix the Punchout stage so that Kirby's suplex throw doesn't bounce off the lights? ;)

Most of them don't even play as Fox, dude. And the whole 'pro's only play FD thing' is so wrong I don't even know where to start :heh:

Anyway, awesome finale. Loved the event and the guys that kept holding up the Pikachu signs!!!

Also, can we take a moment to relive the Megaman Final Smash moment?

Nintendo won E3.

Gutted I missed this last night. Has Nintendo put it up on youtube or is there highlights anywhere?

Am I the only one who thought Zelda Williams bringing a Majora's Mask with her was on instruction from Nintendo? How many teases!!!!

It wasn't a few seconds though, the guy tried his best not to fight the entire way to the final. He was either staying out of the ring, hiding behind the yellow devil, or hanging off the edge where ever he could. And then he'd come out and grab a final smash. Tosser. Eventually the commentators saw it, but even then he just carried on, except playing up to it then.

...I was talking about Zero Suit Samus in the final match :heh: I hated that Kirby player as much as anybody else.

Sign in to follow this