NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Smash Bros Invitational(spoilers, obvs) - Midnight tonight!

Midnight tonight, it'll be streamed on http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

For those of us unable to watch the Invitational tonight, or those waiting to watch later on - I've decided to make this thread to keep all spoiler talk out of the general Smash thread!

For myself, I'll see you guys back in here on Friday/Saturday ;)

So guys, get your hype going! Who do you reckon's gonna be coming out on top? Which matches do you most want to see? HOW EXCITED ARE YOU FOR IT??

Confirmed players: (as stolen from here)

Masaya "aMSa" Chikamoto

Cristin "Crismas" DesSaro

Hendrick "DJ Nintendo" Pilar

Hugo "HugS" Gonzalez

Juan "Hungrybox" Debiedma

Ken "Ken" Hoang

Daniel "KoreanDJ" Jung

Neha "Lilo" Chhetri

McCain "MacD" LaVelle

Lilian "milktea" Wei

Sam "Peachyhime" McNaughton

Kevin "PewPewU" Toy

Kevin "PPMD" Nanney

Dakota "Rapture" Lasky

Kris "Toph" Aldenderfer

Gonzalo "ZeRo" Barrios

Announcers:

Matches will be announced by the following commentators

D'Ron "D1" Maingrette

Wynton "Prog" Smith

Bobby "Scar" Scarnewman

Playable Characters:

Mario

Rosalina

Bowser

Donkey Kong

Link

Zelda

Samus

Zero Suit Samus

Kirby

Fox

Pikachu

Greninja

Marth

Pit

Olimar

Little Mac

Villager

Wii Fit Trainer

Sonic

Mega Man

Da Rules:

-Before the tournament begins, the players will choose characters in random order. Characters may not be chosen by multiple players, and players cannot switch characters at any time.

-Each match will have 4 players. Matches will have 4 stock with a 5-minute timer. The top 2 players in terms of score advance; if there is a tie between 2 and 3, the number of KOs is the tiebreaker, and a further tie is broken by fan vote.

-The final match will take place on Battlefield, and have a timer of 8 minutes, as an explicit homage to the competitive Smash community.

-Items will be on medium for round 1, low for rounds 2 and 3, and off for the final.

-Stages are to be revealed at the tournament.

Edited by Rummy

I was unsure if I was staying up for this, but it'll only run until around 2:30am. Pretty sure I can handle a tired day at work tomorrow to see how the game operates.

I was unsure if I was staying up for this, but it'll only run until around 2:30am. Pretty sure I can handle a tired day at work tomorrow to see how the game operates.

I was 50/50, but I agreed I probs shouldn't stay up too late because I should really go to work tomorrow, also I wanted to watch with a crowd, so currently planning to catch up Friday with a few folks at mine.

Anyone else watching this?

Of course! My eyes will be glued to the screen until the very end! :awesome:

Of course! My eyes will be glued to the screen until the very end! :awesome:

Anyone else watching this? I am so hyped it's unreal.

You fucking know it!

I'll be watching with mah homeboy and mah girlfriend :D

and some sushi!

Hoping Fils-A-Mech shows up and has an epic showdown with the Doritos Pope!

Got a feeling Nintendo will announce some new characters in the digital event and then surprise everyone by saying they'll be in the playable roster at the tournament. Hoping Pikachu gets some love, but have a feeling the little rat will be passed on in favour of one of the more popular fighters.

Anyone else watching this? I am so hyped it's unreal.

Yup.

Had I not watched The Smash Brothers documentary I wouldn't have bothered but that thing opened my eyes about the whole competitive play aspect of the game.

Yup.

Had I not watched The Smash Brothers documentary I wouldn't have bothered but that thing opened my eyes about the whole competitive play aspect of the game.

I'm glad the documentary gave you an understanding of the competitive side of it :) I'm also glad the format of this tourny means it will show off the party AND the fighting aspects of the game.

I have to skip through Radio Free Nintendo podcasts just because of how offensive I find the comments made by James regarding competitive Smash.

I'm glad the documentary gave you an understanding of the competitive side of it :) I'm also glad the format of this tourny means it will show off the party AND the fighting aspects of the game.

I have to skip through Radio Free Nintendo podcasts just because of how offensive I find the comments made by James regarding competitive Smash.

Haha. James hates it, doesn't he? Like REALLY hates it. I don't even see why, I mean it doesn't effect him in any way, shape or form.

Haha. James hates it, doesn't he? Like REALLY hates it. I don't even see why, I mean it doesn't effect him in any way, shape or form.

'But that's not how it's played'.

It's a bloody fighting game AS WELL as a party game.

Jeez. He's an idiot :heh:

I'm really looking forward to this, got a can of red bull at the ready just to make sure I don't fall asleep watching the stream. I don't wanna miss a second :D

Ok I know I said I wasn't going to be back here til Friday and I wouldn't be watching this but it's like only an hour away and I might still be awake and I might dip my toe but my most important question is is this only likely available on the Twitch stream or possibly on Youtube as well? I kinda wanna run it on my Chromecast, but obvs that a Youtube only dealie at present.

Ok I know I said I wasn't going to be back here til Friday and I wouldn't be watching this but it's like only an hour away and I might still be awake and I might dip my toe but my most important question is is this only likely available on the Twitch stream or possibly on Youtube as well? I kinda wanna run it on my Chromecast, but obvs that a Youtube only dealie at present.

I'm keeping the Youtube channel open, just in case it airs the Invitational there.

I think it will, because Twitch is airing the same thing :heh:

I'm keeping the Youtube channel open, just in case it airs the Invitational there.

I think it will, because Twitch is airing the same thing :heh:

Heeeeeeee, I did a google and came across TwitchCast! I'm now watching MarioMaker twitch stream on my TV via the Chromecast, it seems! Feeling good given my original Plex channel plan failed. The Youtube channel is certainly much more helpful/easier for a Chromecast though.

Glad to see that you're watching it as well :)

Glad to see that you're watching it as well :)

ONLY for a bit. I need to stay ultimately spolier free so I don't ruin it when I watch it with other folks, but the first few matches can't hurt, then I can go to sleep and remain hyped for the next few days until Friday arrives!

Non-distinctive chat bugs me when there's so many of us! I shall get an IRC client in a sec, though I swear I am only staying for a bit. Honest.

Maybe.

This has been fantastic so far. The chat room, with the few of us who are in, has been hilarious. We have a shared hatred for Kirby. :D

No wonder, the guy isn't absorbing anybody!

Go, Lilo/Wii Fit Trainer!

No wonder, the guy isn't absorbing anybody!

Go, Lilo/Wii Fit Trainer!

Yeah, she's been outstanding.

Sign in to follow this