NEurope
Cube

Rise of the Tomb Raider

There's also a sequel to Guardian of Light called Temple of Osiris. 4 players this time.

I wonder how carefully worded that was and its maybe a timed exclusive? MS would have to give a lot of money to get that just on Xbox given how much better games are selling on PS4.

I wonder how carefully worded that was and its maybe a timed exclusive?

I can't remember exactly how he said it but maybe it was like

"Rise of the Tomb Raider will be coming to Xbox One exclusively in 2015", as in, other consoles will get it in 2016?

But what would be the point in the trick phrasing? We'd know the truth long before the game was released.

I can't remember exactly how he said it but maybe it was like

"Rise of the Tomb Raider will be coming to Xbox One exclusively in 2015", as in, other consoles will get it in 2016?

But what would be the point in the trick phrasing? We'd know the truth long before the game was released.

We always get the trick phrasing though. Got it at E3 with Sony and the GTA V stuff as well.

I mean I have an Xbox One so I wont have to miss out on the game but I would have prefered to play it on my PS4.

Everything im hearing though seems to be saying that its an actual exclusive.

That's a great move from MS. They need exclusive titles.

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher

Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

Even if this is an actual exclusive I still won't buy an Xbox One, not even for a sequel to Tomb Raider which is a really fantastic game.

It's simple... if Crystal Dynamics really want to make their money on this game then they'll bring it to PS4 as well. : peace:

Well it's the only way they'll be getting any of my money in any case, the same probably goes for a growing number of PS4 owners on this forum too which surely outnumbers the number of Xbox One consoles which is why I find it so hard to believe that this will stay a genuine exclusive, we'll be seeing this game a mere few months after it's 'initial' release for sure. ;)

----------------------------------------

After reading the above post, maybe not then... oh well, I won't be buying any more Tomb Raider games in that case. :p

From Crystal Dynamics Tumblr

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we've just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I'd like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we're creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today's announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we'll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we're going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher

Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

Taking a multiplatform series and making it an exclusive (even if eventually turns out it's only timed), is a dick move. And it does the opposite of make me warm to Microsoft.

But that's fine, I guess I won't be buying this.

This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

This is the least convincing thing I've read in a while.

"They drove a literal truck of money into our office, what else were we supposed to do?!"

The game is effectively cancelled for me.

Then again, Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall were all "exclusive".

Is Microsoft's money really that much more than what they would make when releasing the game on PS4, too?

Well, I don't care. The series just died for me. Won't buy a console just for this game.

Shame, though. Was really looking forward to it.

Edit: Uncharted 4 will be better, anyway :laughing: :p

Uncharted 4 will be better, anyway :laughing: :p

Amen to that.

: peace:

#DemiseoftheTombRaider

:p

Actually, I'm pretty certain that this will be on PC around six months after Xbox One, and that it can't be mentioned until a few months after the release of the Xbox One version.

Unless this is a "timed exclusive", consider the game no more. Shame, i was looking forward to playing the sequel as i enjoyed the relaunch.

Edited by Jimbob

This is clearly the right move if they're looking to grow the series after the success of the previous game.

I feel sorry for their PR person who has to make this sound like good news, though. "It's okay, guys! You're still getting Temple of Osiris! The game's not that good anyway."

The new next gen version of Tomb Raider has sold twice as much on the PlayStation 4, as the UK charts get a new number one.

In what is the first post-launch test for the new consoles the PlayStation 4 version of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition has emerged as by far the most succesful, taking 69 per cent of sales compared to 31 per cent for the Xbox One.

If that was the case with the last Tomb Raider how much money did Microsoft throw at them to get exclusivity this time?

It really is a dick move, I just hope Sony don't lower themselves to this level and do the same with another title.

I cant fault Microsoft for doing it. They are a business with a console that is still failing to sell what they need it to and this is a way to try and fix that. I would have no problem with Sony doing something like this either, its not their job to keep the rest of the gaming community happy. Crystal Dynamics are the ones who allowed it to happen.