NEurope
Cube

Rise of the Tomb Raider

I have a PS4 but seeing the level of the reaction from Sony fans over this is really sad. Exclusives are not new and whether MS paid a whole heap of money or not kinda irrelevant.

Both platforms will have exclusives just has its been that way for as long as I can remember. Why people get so emotional over it I don't know.

Some exclusives are fine, such as when a developer decides to develop for one platform (like what originally happened with Resident Evil 4 and the Final Fantasy games on PlayStation) or when the game wouldn't exist without being financed by the company (such as Bayonetta 2 and games like Alan Wake).

However, in this case, this is just a shady business practice where Microsoft are paying Square Enix to not release it on PS4 and PC, just like they paid EA to not release on PS4. Both games were in development for PS4, too, which makes it even worse.

In this situation, Microsoft and Square benefit (Square in the short term, potentially harmful in the long term), no fans benefit and lots of fans miss out on the game.

Edit: To further my point, Platinum's Scalebound being exclusive to Xbox One is fine, as it isn't a shady deal done half way into development.

Edited by Cube

Well, this just rounds off a shiiiiit day.

Last night, the tragic death of Robin Williams, which put me in a shitty mood for at least this morning. Such a hero.

Then, I was due to visit two friends and their 8 month old kid at noon. Half past 11, I'm being held up on the dual carriageway by an endless row of traffic. Another accident perhaps? No. According to the radio, there was a cow on the loose. A cow that had jumped over a fence. I'm in the car, listening to the radio and assuming that this will minutes to sort out. 12 o'clock, I'm still there. Messaging my friend to let them know that I'll be late. Jokes are flung back and forth about the cow. Half past 12. I'm still there. 1 o'clock, still there. 1:30, STILL THERE. We hadn't moved for one whole fucking hour. I arrive at my friend's house at least 2 hours later than when I should have arrived. So pissed off.

I don't check the internet for the whole afternoon until I pick up Ine from work. We're just about to drive on a mega-busy roundabout.

"So...are you ok?"

"Meh, dat fucking cow."

"...you haven't checked the internet, have you?"

"No. Why? WHO HAS DIED NOW?"

"I'll wait til we pass this roundabout."

We pass it. And then she drops the bomb about Tomb Raider.

One word to describe this day, and I never, ever use this word: CUNT!

What is this shit? Why is it an XboxOne exclusive? Why? Are they purposefully trying to ensure that this game sells as few copies as possible?

Fucking load of shit.

I haven't lifted today, I haven't eaten enough, so I'm starving, pissed off at spending more than two hours sat in a car on a non-moving dual-carriageway, pissed off at this game, at the death of Robin Williams.

To top it off, Man United are putting in a bid for Rojo who I thought was a bit gash at the World Cup when we should be going for Vidal, Cuadrado, Hummels or we should have bought Garay ages ago. 16million quid apparently. Seriously, fuck off.

Fuck this day. Fuck this thread. Fuck Hollywood and FUCK YOOOOOOOU.

We pass it. And then she drops the bomb about Tomb Raider.

One word to describe this day, and I never, ever use this word: CUNT!

What is this shit? Why is it an XboxOne exclusive? Why? Are they purposefully trying to ensure that this game sells as few copies as possible?

Fucking load of shit.

I haven't lifted today, I haven't eaten enough, so I'm starving, pissed off at spending more than two hours sat in a car on a non-moving dual-carriageway, pissed off at this game, at the death of Robin Williams.

To top it off, Man United are putting in a bid for Rojo who I thought was a bit gash at the World Cup when we should be going for Vidal, Cuadrado, Hummels or we should have bought Garay ages ago. 16million quid apparently. Seriously, fuck off.

Fuck this day. Fuck this thread. Fuck Hollywood and FUCK YOOOOOOOU.

I'm with ya man, this and Robin Williams, if it weren't for being offered a job today I'd be down in tragic alley right with you.

This is shitsauce in a shell. Similar kinds of practices like when Rayman went from exclusive to multiplatform are just so much better than this, since at least everyone then gets to play. This blows.

I'm with ya man, this and Robin Williams, if it weren't for being offered a job today I'd be down in tragic alley right with you.

This is shitsauce in a shell. Other kinds of practices like when Rayman went from exclusive to multiplatform are just so much better than this, since at least everyone then gets to play. This blows.

My order of shitness for today is:

1. Robin Williams. Why God, why?

2. DAT FUCKING COW.

3. Going after Rojo when there are a dozen or so players we would be better off with.

4. This Tomb Raider bollocks.

Anyway, if it's not coming to PS4, I won't be touching it. I have no desire to get a One. It's such a situation, though. Well done to MS for securing it, but...needlessly annoying.

Well, we're hoping it will come to PS4...eventually. Seems silly to ignore money lying on the table.

Crikey, you PS4 chaps are really throwing the toys out of the pram ;)

Seriously though I can't understand the whole "shady business" theory behind this. There's nothing shady at all, Microsoft have payed a lot of money to make this an exclusive! a lot of you saying you wouldn't buy a One for this, and hats fair enough, but I've seen a lot more reaction on the net saying "guess I'll be buying a One then" which is exactly what they're after. It's not shady or Microsoft playing bad, it's them trying to get their sales on par with the PS4 and doing whatever they can to make that happen.

It's not a full exclusive, but Sony gets exclusivity on the assassins creed franchise, missions you won't find on any other console, denying people who don't own a Playstation the full experience. Microsoft gets FIFA exclusives too, it's the way the industry works surely and to say Sony wouldn't do the same is naive. Fuck, Nintendo did it with Bayonetta 2!

Well, I think if Squeenix had decided to cease development on the new Tomb Raider ("welp, the last game only sold, like, four million copies, I guess that's that") and Microsoft had stepped in and paid for the game to be finished and the game would have been Xbone exclusive because of that, there would have been far less uproar.

But what do I know. PS4 owners are all big babies anyway.

It's not a full exclusive, but Sony gets exclusivity on the assassins creed franchise, missions you won't find on any other console, denying people who don't own a Playstation the full experience. Microsoft gets FIFA exclusives too, it's the way the industry works surely and to say Sony wouldn't do the same is naive. Fuck, Nintendo did it with Bayonetta 2!

The exclusive content for Assassin's Creed is also shitty, but at least it's just a bunch of rubbish missions.

Bayonetta 2 is a different thing altogether. It wouldn't exist if Nintendo weren't funding it (hence why Scalebound being exclusive is fine).

Square Enix have decided to tell over 60% of the Tomb Raider fanbase (based on physical sales of the reboot - digital sales will likely increase that amount) to fuck off while they line their pockets with cash, after already promising them the game and releasing an updated version of the first on the PS4.

Wow! That's damn impressive! Even if it's only timed, the size of the moneyhat involved must be utterly staggering! :o

And there I was thinking that the age of the 3rd party exclusive was well and truly dead! You have to admire MS' balls here!

Looks like it's gonna be a straight up brawl. ROT: Tomb Raider VS Uncharted 4 for 2015! Blades shall bleed and flame shields shall shatter as fanboys will take to each other's throats! Fun times ahead! :laughing:

Wow! That's damn impressive! Even if it's only timed, the size of the moneyhat involved must be utterly staggering! :o

And there I was thinking that the age of the 3rd party exclusive was well and truly dead! You have to admire MS' balls here!

Looks like it's gonna be a straight up brawl. ROT: Tomb Raider VS Uncharted 4 for 2015! Blades shall bleed and flame shields shall shatter as fanboys will take to each other's throats! Fun times ahead! :laughing:

To be honest I think it's not the fans that will be missing out but rather S-E. If the console sales trend continues then S-E are going to lose a crazy amount of money by not having it on the leading machine.

It reminds me of the Tales of Vesperia incident on the 360. It was totally a wrong move by Namco and the series eventually found its home on the Playstation 3.

To be honest I think it's not the fans that will be missing out but rather S-E. If the console sales trend continues then S-E are going to lose a crazy amount of money by not having it on the leading machine.
To be honest, I think that MS must've offered them enough to cover the potential maximum sales they stood to receive. I can't see any other reason why they would accept the offer, considering the fallout.

Well, I'll probably buy an Xbone one day, even if it's about 5 years down the line. I guess I've just got a really long wait for the sequel to one of my favourite games of last year!

To be honest, I think that MS must've offered them enough to cover the potential maximum sales they stood to receive. I can't see any other reason why they would accept the offer, considering the fallout.

Well, I'll probably buy an Xbone one day, even if it's about 5 years down the line. I guess I've just got a really long wait for the sequel to one of my favourite games of last year!

Reading on Gaf it seems like it could be a timed exclusive just for the holiday season next year. A lot of the press seem to be trying to get an straight answer from Microsoft.

It was probably something to do with risk. They've secured the revenue now to cushion them if something goes tits up in the development stage. Sure they won't make as much in the long run, providing the game turns out well, but they've guaranteed themselves jobs and future projects. I imagine a 6 -12 month exclusivity contract would do the job for Microsoft if they can convince consumers that it is a long-term exclusive.

Sony & MS are both guilty of the practice, and both would do more of it if they could. It just so happens that the exclusive stuff Sony gets amounts to a mere bucket of shit, hence the butt-hurt over big deals like this.

Crikey, you PS4 chaps are really throwing the toys out of the pram ;)

Seriously though I can't understand the whole "shady business" theory behind this. There's nothing shady at all, Microsoft have payed a lot of money to make this an exclusive!

Shady ain't the right word.

The problem that people perceive, like has been said, is how Microsoft's tactic is essentially to take a stranglehold on the franchise rather than nurture it. It leaves a bit of a sour taste and it's a totally anti-consumer move.

At least in the case of other exclusives there is an understanding that the company involved is supporting the studio and helping it produce content, financially or otherwise. In this case they've already been developing their game and the money is just to shut the other outputs down. So it's understandable that people should be annoyed about it (people who seem to be relishing it are coming across as fanboys, tbh).

Well, I just don't see this working for them from a sales point of view (due to the insane levels of moneyhatting that must have been involved). They know their console is pretty unattractive right now (notice their figures are usually consoles 'shipped') and this is their way of getting more customers. They know if they can convince people who haven't dived into next gen yet to get their console then there's a decent chance they'll stick with it if they start subscribing/playing with friends. Just don't see it working with TR though.

Closing thoughts on MS here, summarised pretty well by someone over on EG:

Sony: "We need some exclusive games, so let's invest in talented developers like Naughty Dog and Team Ico, stick with them, and encourage them to produce ground-breaking games that push our hardware to the limit."

Microsoft: "We need some exclusive games, so lets throw a sack of money at a publisher to bribe them not to release an already-announced, nearly-finished title on competitors' superior hardware."

Both very valid business models that you'd never call 'shady'. But I'll be damned if I don't have an opinion about it. :p

Edited by Sheikah

Reading on Gaf it seems like it could be a timed exclusive just for the holiday season next year. A lot of the press seem to be trying to get an straight answer from Microsoft.

I don't think we'll get a straight answer from Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics.

After Dead Rising 3 and Ryse, I suspect part of the deal is that they have to pretend the other versions don't exist until a certain time after the Xbox version is out.

Yes, that's a good example of the complete opposite of this situation. :heh:

Ah, to clarify that post - like the Capcom 5 - there is no way Tomb Raiser will remain exclusive. .

Even if it turns out to be a timed exclusive; the idea that it's going to be 2016 at the very earliest that a lot of fans of the series and reboot is quite disheartening :sad:. That said, even with Rise of the Tomb Raider potentially going head to head against Uncharted in Holiday 2015, there is no doubt which title I will be playing and going back to. The Uncharted teaser still gives me goosebumps for how good it looks.

Ah, to clarify that post - like the Capcom 5 - there is no way Tomb Raiser will remain exclusive. .

I guess it would be pretty funny if they announced a PS4 version before the game is released on the Xbone.

I was reading some comments earlier, there were people bashing Sony for not letting Microsoft have Uncharted. I guess these people didn't see the memo with Naughty Dogs being exclusive to Sony.

Overall, this decision to not let Rise of the Tomb Raider come out on PS4/PC for the "Holiday 2015" period is pathetic. Oh well, hopefully it's a timed exclusive. There are some saying it's permanent exclusive, if that's true then who knows.

Shady ain't the right word.

The problem that people perceive, like has been said, is how Microsoft's tactic is essentially to take a stranglehold on the franchise rather than nurture it. It leaves a bit of a sour taste and it's a totally anti-consumer move.

At least in the case of other exclusives there is an understanding that the company involved is supporting the studio and helping it produce content, financially or otherwise. In this case they've already been developing their game and the money is just to shut the other outputs down. So it's understandable that people should be annoyed about it (people who seem to be relishing it are coming across as fanboys, tbh).

Well, I just don't see this working for them from a sales point of view (due to the insane levels of moneyhatting that must have been involved). They know their console is pretty unattractive right now (notice their figures are usually consoles 'shipped') and this is their way of getting more customers. They know if they can convince people who haven't dived into next gen yet to get their console then there's a decent chance they'll stick with it if they start subscribing/playing with friends. Just don't see it working with TR though.

Closing thoughts on MS here, summarised pretty well by someone over on EG:

Both very valid business models that you'd never call 'shady'. But I'll be damned if I don't have an opinion about it. :p

Absolutely, opinions are what makes this place interesting! :)

My only issue with what you've said is the presumption that because it's Microsoft they aren't nurturing it helping, just putting money in to ring fence it from other platforms.

The quote from the chap from Crystal Dynamics suggests that Microsoft will be doing everything they can to make this game as good as it will be and helping them with lots of things.

Put another way, if Microsofts money, up front, helps the developers realise their vision and create the best game they can make which based on the past game has the potential to be really something, then it is the consumer who will benefit the most. Granted that consumer has to own a Microsoft product, but in terms of what we actually want, which is an amazing game to sink your teeth into, if we get that then fair play to Microsoft for allowing the developers to create it, then it's up to people to buy the game and/or console to show that faith was worth it.

Anyway, if all you PS4 owners can now please leave this thread in an orderly fashion, @Hero\-of\-Time (if he plugs his One back in) and myself have an exclusive to get excited about...;)

(Jokes obvs)

(...is there really only 5 of us on here who own an Xbox One?!)

Put another way, if Microsofts money, up front, helps the developers realise their vision and create the best game they can make which based on the past game has the potential to be really something, then it is the consumer who will benefit the most. Granted that consumer has to own a Microsoft product, but in terms of what we actually want, which is an amazing game to sink your teeth into, if we get that then fair play to Microsoft for allowing the developers to create it, then it's up to people to buy the game and/or console to show that faith was worth it.

Sorry, there is no way you can spin this as 'it helps the consumer'. It doesn't, it screws over maybe 65-70% or so (the majority!) of fans who can no longer play it. It is honestly the worst decision they could have made in terms of benefiting the consumer. The average consumer is basically being shafted.

It's a pure and simple moneyhat and the announcement was basically in place of truth, which they obviously can't say. "Sorry, but when a fucken load of money was presented to us, we took it". I wouldn't look to any truth in Microsoft helping them make the game better. Their last game was mighty damn fine, they're clearly not in need of help in that department.

The quote from the chap from Crystal Dynamics suggests that Microsoft will be doing everything they can to make this game as good as it will be and helping them with lots of things.

The very same quote also suggests that Microsoft have barely supported Tomb Raider in the past, and they are making an effort to support the game (which could also indicate that they're doing nothing to help with development).

The whole thing is rubbish PR speak with no actual meaning.

I own both consoles and I'm a little annoyed I won't get theropods of 1080p now, I would have gone for the ps 4 version without doubt.

Ps4 owners will likely have uncharted out next Christmas anyway .