NEurope
Cube

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Don't worry guys, Sony's got an exclusive in the form of The Agent from Rockstar. Can't wait for that.

Just reading the Giant Bomb article on it and Patrick mentions how Tomb Raider was originally considered a sales failure. I'd forgotten about this and even though the sales failure part was tied to Square Enix pinning their hopes on it making Max Payne 3's money back as well, this could go a long way to explaining why they felt the need to actually partner up with MS for this. You would assume they would probably have paid a big sum of money and probably be paying for all advertising as well which would bring costs down considerably.

"They drove a literal truck of money into our office, what else were we supposed to do?!"

Ha, so true. What an unreal level of cack this decision is. I can't even begin to understand the level of moneyhatting that must have had to happen to secure this. Pretty sure that given TR originally launched on the PlayStation that there'd be more of a userbase there, so to make sure they only sold on X1...Christ. Serious money-hatting indeed.

Either way, totally anti-consumer. The two consoles are effectively worlds apart for your average consumer (£350 initial fee plus potential £30-40 per year online subscriptions). People really don't want to get both.

You have to reel at the level of bullshit in the message

Today's announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming.

Because Microsoft's consoles have always been the console of choice for action adventure games as opposed to shooters, ja?

(PS. Yes I am butthurt by this, go easy)

I'm going to share a sadface emoticon with @Fierce_LiNk here, who I know will be equally devastated.

:(

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Just reading the Giant Bomb article on it and Patrick mentions how Tomb Raider was originally considered a sales failure. I'd forgotten about this and even though the sales failure part was tied to Square Enix pinning their hopes on it making Max Payne 3's money back as well, this could go a long way to explaining why they felt the need to actually partner up with MS for this. You would assume they would probably have paid a big sum of money and probably be paying for all advertising as well which would bring costs down considerably.
Not sure why you're on MS' side on this. There's nothing good about this move. Even if you're an Xbox One owner, you would've gotten this title anyway.

It was only considered a sales failure by Squeenix's unrealistic standards. Clearly a sequel has been in development for a long time before MS' money came into the picture, so it can't have been considered that much of a flop.

Not sure why you're on MS' side on this. There's nothing good about this move. Even if you're an Xbox One owner, you would've gotten this title anyway.

It was only considered a sales failure by Squeenix's unrealistic standards. Clearly a sequel has been in development for a long time before MS' money came into the picture, so it can't have been considered that much of a flop.

Im not on MS' side at all. I would prefer this to be a multiformat game and think its a crappy move from Square Enix. I just dont blame MS. Theres a difference.

What do you guys think the chances are that this will still eventually release on PS4? Seems like there's just so much extra money to be made.

What do you guys think the chances are that this will still eventually release on PS4? Seems like there's just so much extra money to be made.

I think it probably will come eventually but the way people who should know have been talking on twitter, this doesnt seem to be like a 6 month exclusive deal so we could be waiting a few years.

b2n8f.jpg

Now you are going too far. Dont go blaming poor Lara for this! She apparently has a shit load of therapy bills that need paying.

Well, if Patrick felt that Tomb Raider was a sales failure then i'm not sure how making it exclusive to Xbox One will help it. Yes, Microsoft throw money into promotions and stuff. But i have this feeling that even with exclusivity that this just won't sell well enough.

I'm not criticizing Microsoft here (even though a mini-Twitter rant earlier kind of edged that way).

Don't worry guys, Sony's got an exclusive in the form of The Agent from Rockstar. Can't wait for that.

Any need to post in this thread or just fanboy point scoring.

I have a PS4 but seeing the level of the reaction from Sony fans over this is really sad. Exclusives are not new and whether MS paid a whole heap of money or not kinda irrelevant.

Both platforms will have exclusives just has its been that way for as long as I can remember. Why people get so emotional over it I don't know.

Edited by liger05

Well, if Patrick felt that Tomb Raider was a sales failure then i'm not sure how making it exclusive to Xbox One will help it. Yes, Microsoft throw money into promotions and stuff. But i have this feeling that even with exclusivity that this just won't sell well enough.

I'm not criticizing Microsoft here (even though a mini-Twitter rant earlier kind of edged that way).

Patrick didnt feel it was a sales failure, Square Enix did. This was widely reported back then.

Im sure it wont sell as well on one platform as it would on multiple but there are obviously numbers we are not privvy to which would be the point where it would tip the scales to make it worth it. I would assume that along with whatever money MS gave Square Enix to make this exclusives, MS will also be paying for all the advertising as well which would probably make it a very attractive offer given that last years game was very well thought of but didnt sell what they hoped (and yes, the sales figures they were hoping for were unrealistic to begin with).

Once again I am not saying any of this is a good thing. Just wondering if these are the reasons why such a deal would be made.

Patrick didnt feel it was a sales failure, Square Enix did. This was widely reported back then.

Im sure it wont sell as well on one platform as it would on multiple but there are obviously numbers we are not privvy to which would be the point where it would tip the scales to make it worth it. I would assume that along with whatever money MS gave Square Enix to make this exclusives, MS will also be paying for all the advertising as well which would probably make it a very attractive offer given that last years game was very well thought of but didnt sell what they hoped (and yes, the sales figures they were hoping for were unrealistic to begin with).

Once again I am not saying any of this is a good thing. Just wondering if these are the reasons why such a deal would be made.

They clearly had there reasons and I think its so unfair for people to start having a go a MS.

MS have to do what they feel is best to make there platform a success. They are not holding gun to the developers head.

MS have done some dick moves in the past but this isn't one.

Part of the reason Tomb Raider didn't sell well must have been that people didn't know the series wasn't mediocre anymore.

Now they know it's really good and they want more of it. S-E are going to miss out on some serious sales if it really remains exclusive, and I think this is really bad publicity. This is basically just silencing money, as opposed to the good kind of backing/exclusivity where a console manufacturer cultivates a company and helps them to develop games. From the looks of it, a good chunk of this game must be done or at least fully planned out. Such a fucking shame.

MS have done some dick moves in the past but this isn't one.

It depends whether the amount of money they channeled into it is good value for the amount of sales they'll end up getting (my guess is not, this must have been a megaton moneyhat), and whether it remains an actual exclusive.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Part of the reason Tomb Raider didn't sell well must have been that people didn't know the series wasn't mediocre anymore.

Now they know it's really good and they want more of it. S-E are going to miss out on some serious sales if it really remains exclusive, and I think this is really bad publicity. This is basically just silencing money, as opposed to the good kind of backing/exclusivity where a console manufacturer cultivates a company and helps them to develop games. From the looks of it, a good chunk of this game must be done or at least fully planned out. Such a fucking shame.

Shame for who? You can still play the game you just need to buy an XB1 to do so and that's the whole point.

Whether it works out for MS, we will see.

It depends whether the amount of money they channeled into it is good value for the amount of sales they'll end up getting (my guess is not, this must have been a megaton moneyhat), and whether it remains an actual exclusive.

Even it works out not good value it still wouldn't be a dick move it would just be a bad business decision.

capcom-5-750x400.jpg

Yes, that's a good example of the complete opposite of this situation. :heh:

That's exactly what's so baffling about this decision. Square-Enix have already done the hard bit, spent a lot of money reestablishing the series and made a profit out of it's release. They're relying so heavily on this game to rescue the publisher one has to wonder if the publisher deserves to survive.

Shame for who?

Seriously?

You can still play the game you just need to buy an XB1 to do so and that's the whole point.

In which case, I won't be buying it, and I'm sure that's the case for many more too. It's too expensive to buy both consoles so early into the cycle. And not just that, I actually don't want to.

I highly doubt this is going to bring the money back for Microsoft. Given the Remastered version of TR sold at 2:1 (PS4:X1), the amount of money they must have had to throw must have been colossal. They're wiping off a potential two-thirds (more if this counts PC) of their customers. How much must that have cost?

This very much seems like a guaranteed loss-making move with the ultimate intention to make the console seem more appealing and relevant. I really don't see this working on its own, though. People know the PS4 is a more powerful console and for various reasons it's beasting the X1.

My opinion, but on its own I don't see this working.

Wow, just got in from work to see this news, poor form from all those involved really. Thing is, with how Microsoft was supporting new IP like Sunset Overdrive and bringing out the Halo collection I was considering getting a Xbox One sometime in the future, but when crap like this is pulled with a popular multiplat, do I still have the urge to support them? Not so much.

Edited by Map

Any need to post in this thread or just fanboy point scoring.

Ha. As in an Xbox fanboy for mocking PS4 owners who will miss out on the next Tomb Raider? Or as in a PS4 fanboy who is mocking the the fact that Microsoft have shafted consumers?

Neither is the case, it was only intended as a lightly amusing, obscure reference to a game I, nor any other PS3 owner, got to play. Nothing more.

You don't know me, Liger05! How dare you!

Crappy crappy decision, since the end of ps exclusivity (well they were on pc) the game has been multiplatform and supposedly struggling so now it's become exclusive for the console that is struggling? Might have as well become Wiiu exclusive!

Inevitably it will come to other platforms but my god people won't want it, the amount of ill feeling right now is toxic....square enix may overtake EA as most hated company at this rate!

Edit just read the full post.... Temple of Osiris? That's meant to be recompense? That's Just ridiculously funny

Edited by Agent Gibbs