NEurope
Hero-of-Time

MGS V: Phantom Pain

So we'll all find out tomorrow anyway but here's the dirty fingerprints the nefarious Michael Transactions has left on this game, via the Giantbomb forums. You'll want to give yourself a moment to vomit blood.

2778156-4169846588-MGSV-.jpg

Basically you get your 1st FOB for free but you can buy up to an additional 3 using your "Mother Base Coins". You can also use them to speed up weapon & base development in the campaign. There is no way to earn them through gameplay.

Personally I wish I could cut this from the rest of the game like a malignant tumor and take a shit on it.

Basically you get your 1st FOB for free but you can buy up to an additional 3 using your "Mother Base Coins". You can also use them to speed up weapon & base development in the campaign. There is no way to earn them through gameplay.

Personally I wish I could cut this from the rest of the game like a malignant tumor and take a shit on it.

Are you sure about that because they specifically said there was a week or so ago.

Are you sure about that because they specifically said there was a week or so ago.

That's what's been stated by the community manager as of a couple of days ago.

Maybe there's been some wires crossed but I wouldn't bet on Konami being particularly generous with the system in any case. We'll know for sure soon enough, at least.

Edited by gaggle64

I've got about 7 games Im happy to put in my top 10 so far, couldnt tell you what order yet though:

Witcher 3

MGSV

Batman Arkham Knight

Rocket League

Life is Strange

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Kerbal Space Program

You not into Bloodborne, Brah?

After spending yesterday afternoon just doing side missions and hitting random outposts, I finally moved the story forward. I'm now up to episode 13.

Tin Foil hat time. I don't think i'm playing as Big Boss at all and that some switcheroo has been done. This has always been in my head ever since I watched the Grey Fox theory video that someone made last year. This would explain why he doesn't really talk much as he's not really Snake.

The biggest ! for me was when I rescued/nabbed Huey. He had the AI Boss core from Peace Walker and she said that he wasn't Snake. Of course, Huey played this down and said its just an AI but even in Peace Walker the Ai and Big Boss had a connection.

I was also looking at the logo and didn't even realise until the other day that the V is actually 1 !! split into 2. Maybe i'm over thinking things but this is Kojima we are dealing with.

Loved the scene when the Diamond Dog soldiers were practicing shooting on Mother Base. When Ocelot gave the show off soldier the speech about looking fancy while shooting was an awesome nod to MGS3. Big Boss didn't react to this, which again could support the theory that you aren't actually him.

This was also a bit of a nod to MGS3. It felt like I was fight The End again. She took some doing but I eventually took her down. It was annoying that I nearly had her knocked out ( was using tranqs her ) only for the rainbow to heal her.

The cutscene that followed was brilliant. Dat sniper shot.

Loved this episode. It did take a while but it was very satisfying just sneaking into the base and taking care of business.

When getting Huey out I couldn't figure out how to use the mini Metal Gear. I could use it myself but couldn't get Huey on board as well. I ended up just carrying him all the way back to the landing point.

The game really is a big version of Peace Walker. That game was also light on story at times but it wasn't as spaced out due to the length of the missions.

I'm really enjoying the game now and have found myself just enjoying the playground i'm in. I've had a few hilarious moments happen, as well. My favourite being when I had to take out some guards around a tank.

I killed all of them apart from one. I ran after him and started shooting but didn't realise I had my tranq gun equipped. After two shots I seen he didn't go down and then realised what was happening. The enemy pulled a grenade out, pulled the pin and was just about to throw it when my traq shots kicked in and he ended up falling asleep with a live grenade in hand. BOOOOM. :D

Another great moment was using the fulton system on a vulture I had used a tranq on. The sound effect as it got shot up into the air was hilarious.

@Happenstance...

How do you get the dog? I notice that you have the trophy for it.

@Happenstance...

How do you get the dog? I notice that you have the trophy for it.

I just came across him as I was in the middle of a mission in Afgantistan. Noticed him running towards me as I was up a hill. Couldnt tell you where but I expect he is programmed to pop up until you fulton him.

Loved this episode. It did take a while but it was very satisfying just sneaking into the base and taking care of business.

Took me a while to figure out as well. You get on the mini Metal Gear first then it can pick up Huey.

When getting Huey out I couldn't figure out how to use the mini Metal Gear. I could use it myself but couldn't get Huey on board as well. I ended up just carrying him all the way back to the landing point.

After spending yesterday afternoon just doing side missions and hitting random outposts, I finally moved the story forward. I'm now up to episode 13.

Tin Foil hat time. I don't think i'm playing as Big Boss at all and that some switcheroo has been done. This has always been in my head ever since I watched the Grey Fox theory video that someone made last year. This would explain why he doesn't really talk much as he's not really Snake.

The biggest ! for me was when I rescued/nabbed Huey. He had the AI Boss core from Peace Walker and she said that he wasn't Snake. Of course, Huey played this down and said its just an AI but even in Peace Walker the Ai and Big Boss had a connection.

I was also looking at the logo and didn't even realise until the other day that the V is actually 1 !! split into 2. Maybe i'm over thinking things but this is Kojima we are dealing with.

Loved the scene when the Diamond Dog soldiers were practicing shooting on Mother Base. When Ocelot gave the show off soldier the speech about looking fancy while shooting was an awesome nod to MGS3. Big Boss didn't react to this, which again could support the theory that you aren't actually him.

And concur, In the Prologue, Ishmael the other patient was the only one speaking with Kiefer Sutherland's voice, since that point and the plastic surgery i thought that you aren't bigboss/snake, you are like MGS2 a random soldier taking part in a giant training exercise to see if a perfect soldier can be created through a situation! in MGS2 they recreated shadow moses for Jack, Solid Snake & Liquid are clones of Big Boss sent into a mission to see if dominat or recessive genes have an effect on creating a perfect soldier - with MGS V i've formed the theory you are just a grunt who has had that plastic surgery (whilst one of the many injections knocked you out) to make you look like Boss, coupled with psychological messing by obvious psycho mantis, to have suggested memories and knowledge of Big boss (but just enogh;

This is to have a two fold test, see if perfect soldiers can be created through psychological means, but also to provide a sacrificial lamb for Cypher,The illuminati,the la lei lo le lo

I've even speculated it leave the door open for it to not actually have been Boss who died in MGS4, it could be another psychological clone

I've just reached the end of Episode 5

I'm seriously loving this. The control system isn't as bad as i thought it would be, seeing as i have recently played Ground Zeros, so knew what i was expecting. The hospital escape prologue mission was fun, more so with seeing who i believe is Psycho Mantis and the Devil (yes, i said Devil). If that turns out to be a boss battle, we are dead. Unless it rains for 40 days and nights.

The early main missions (and probably them all) do restrict you to an area once you get in, however once the mission is done the map re-opens up and free-roam occurs. I enjoyed one in particular, where you had to extract the chap whom made your arm. Planned my route in and cleared a secondary route just in case, which was needed. Did most of the available side-ops missions, which varied from Prisoner extraction to extracting a sheep (yes, a sheep). Using the fultron to extract is fun, i have already tried to extract a cargo container, a jeep and a mounted gun (just got the upgrade to do guns).

Before i finished up last night, i spent some upgrade points on the Motherbase. I now have 3 platforms extending out and 2 Control platforms along with at least 1 upgrade on the rest of the buildings. I do like you get a jeep to transport between each platform, and the ability to use the helicopter to drop between sections as well. Have also upgraded my helicopter with some stuff, got some new guns and upgraded my horses armour. Going to do the possible last mission in Chapter 1 tonight, and free explore whilst doing some more side-ops later.

Played this for most of yesterday.

Holy fuck. What a game. I was impressed by Ground Zeroes and this is a step beyond that. The gameplay feels so utterly divergent. Like how Assassin's Creed claims to have many ways to tackle a mission but really you just have to choose between three routes, this is completely free-flowing.

And concur, In the Prologue, Ishmael the other patient was the only one speaking with Kiefer Sutherland's voice, since that point and the plastic surgery i thought that you aren't bigboss/snake, you are like MGS2 a random soldier taking part in a giant training exercise to see if a perfect soldier can be created through a situation! in MGS2 they recreated shadow moses for Jack, Solid Snake & Liquid are clones of Big Boss sent into a mission to see if dominat or recessive genes have an effect on creating a perfect soldier - with MGS V i've formed the theory you are just a grunt who has had that plastic surgery (whilst one of the many injections knocked you out) to make you look like Boss, coupled with psychological messing by obvious psycho mantis, to have suggested memories and knowledge of Big boss (but just enogh;

This is to have a two fold test, see if perfect soldiers can be created through psychological means, but also to provide a sacrificial lamb for Cypher,The illuminati,the la lei lo le lo

I've even speculated it leave the door open for it to not actually have been Boss who died in MGS4, it could be another psychological clone

I listened carefully and both Ishmael and "Big Boss" are voiced by Keifer.

Played this for most of yesterday.

Holy fuck. What a game. I was impressed by Ground Zeroes and this is a step beyond that. The gameplay feels so utterly divergent. Like how Assassin's Creed claims to have many ways to tackle a mission but really you just have to choose between three routes, this is completely free-flowing.

You are telling me.

One one of the side-ops, i think it was near where you were dropped off by Ocelot. You go into a farm-like area, got the watch towers around the area and a large(ish) building where a prisoner was kept. Managed to get in without being noticed, planted C4 on the anti-air guns and the satellites. Got the prisoner out, but decided to give the guards something to do. So called in air support to the sounds of "Maneater" blaring out. Blew up the C4, sending the guards into a spin. Aircraft took out the guards, loaded up the prisoner and escaped.

Picked it up.

Oh my fucking God. I'm so excited :D:bouncy:

Edit: I can't deal.

titg.gif

Seriously, the best opening I have ever played/seen/experienced.

I still cannot deal.

Edited by drahkon

Is anyone else getting two or three side-ops missions not graying out after completing them? Is that just to make sure I can get points when I need 'em or what?

Is anyone else getting two or three side-ops missions not graying out after completing them? Is that just to make sure I can get points when I need 'em or what?

Yeah, it happened to one of mine. Think it was extract a skilled soldier mission. It was originally greyed out but it popped back up again.

I'm really disappointed by the Collector's Edition for this. To make it better all they would have needed to do is sort the packaging out.

Just completed the main story.

I........errrr........hmmmmmmm

EDIT:.................ok maybe not then. Sneaky Kojima!

Edited by Happenstance

Just completed the main story.

I........errrr........hmmmmmmm

EDIT:.................ok maybe not then. Sneaky Kojima!

How many main missions where there before you got what you thought was the ending?

31 episodes

Cheers. I was wondering how many they were but didn't want to look for the answer incase of spoilers.

Having a right laugh with the side missions at the moment. Just finished one where I had to rescue a sheep! :D

Cheers. I was wondering how many they were but didn't want to look for the answer incase of spoilers.

Having a right laugh with the side missions at the moment. Just finished one where I had to rescue a sheep! :D

I spent bloody ages on that one and still never found the sheep! Most annoying part was that I was doing some other mission and actually saw it straight away but was too busy to get it then!

I spent bloody ages on that one and still never found the sheep! Most annoying part was that I was doing some other mission and actually saw it straight away but was too busy to get it then!

It's right at the chopper drop off. You walk down the hill, turn right a bit and it's in a little pen being guarded by a soldier! :D

It's right at the chopper drop off. You walk down the hill, turn right a bit and it's in a little pen being guarded by a soldier! :D

Maybe I didnt see it on a previous mission then! lol

I've got to admit, I've kind of had the Metal Gear wind taken out of my sails at the moment. I might have to carry on with the game tomorrow, let myself calm down from "completing" it!

Did the Prologue and Episode 1 of Chapter 1.

I'll say it again: The Prologue was the best opening I've ever experienced. :bowdown:

And Chapter 1 probably gave me only a glimpse of what the game has in store. I took my time with the mission, but still went straight for the main goal because I wanted to unlock Mother Base :laughing:

1 1/2 hours later I completed the objective :D

Can't wait to spend more time with the game on Saturday and Sunday. Have to take a break until at least Friday due to obligations :(