NEurope
Hero-of-Time

MGS V: Phantom Pain

Not had time to read the thread but I just wanted to let you all know. I am teh hype.

I always thought I'd get a PS4 for Metal Gear (why I got a PS3 too) but this morning I ordered the shmexy red/gold special edition and HD collection for PS3. I'm thinking of playing the lot - will be breaking out the PS1 this weekend.

Maybe even Metal Gear Solid on the Gameboy & Portable Ops for the commute to work.

HYPE!

well...I won't be back here untill Tuesday afternoon at the earliest. Thats what I get for using ShopTo

I so wish the HD collection was on the PS4, dam not being backwards compatible!

I'd also love a HD remake of Twin Snakes!

Why do people feel like shopto HAVE to deliver their order early, the release is the release date, just wait like everyone else.

I'm guessing because if they don't deliver early, people will just order with another company that does instead.

Shopto/GAME etc are dispatching Saturday morning. On a bank holiday weekend.

Got mine from Simply Games today. Players an hour or so. Well chuffed I can now play this over the Bank Holiday.:yay:

Somebody just tell me right now if your mission buddies can die permanently - I haven't heard anything since Kojima mentioned it last year but I'm not taking that dog anywhere unless I know she's coming back.

Great game so far. But i'll wait till later to post more impressions.

I had two bits where i had to restart the game. Maybe a day 1 patch is due? The installing thing is odd. Is that because of the xbone and last gen? Normally PS4 installs in the background.

Up to about 8 hours played so far. Last mission I did took just under 2 hours but I've got to admit, it made me feel like a stealthy badass for once (until the last section). I think the last one I did was the 6th mission.

Also, unfortunately at least so far it seems like people's worries about the amount of Big Boss VO were right. There's a lot of characters talking to him but not a lot of him replying. Sometimes it really does feel like you are playing a game with a silent protagonist. I dont necessarily blame Kiefer Sutherland, I just think Kojima should have known better than to cast someone who probably costs too much and wont have the time to come back for multiple recording sessions when things need to be added or changed.

The one thing I'm not entirely happy with is the saving. I did a load of stuff at Mother Base last night but because I didnt start a new mission afterwards, when I reloaded it just took me back to when I first got back to Mother Base.
Ah crap. Not played it today yet, but that means everything I did on Mother Base last night has reset too. :sad:

Does it not save when you exit to the main menu then?

Also, what's the deal with there being credits after every mission (or at least the few I've done so far)? Please tell me that doesn't happen every time... :blank:

Konami might have removed Kojima's name from the box art, but damn! He made sure it'd be seen plenty in-game. As usual. :heh: I might start keeping count, it could be a Guinness world record. :laughing:

Got mine from Simply Games today. Players an hour or so. Well chuffed I can now play this over the Bank Holiday.:yay:
Nice. :)

What did you make of the opening section?

I was surprised to see the character creation thing, guess that's just for the online stuff, right? Has that featured in other Metal Gear games?

Also, any idea what the deal is with entering your birthday? I'm assuming it'll make something cool happen on that day, so entered mine as September, just so I won't need to wait until next year if so. :D

Ah crap. Not played it today yet, but that means everything I did on Mother Base last night has reset too. :sad:

Does it not save when you exit to the main menu then?

Also, what's the deal with there being credits after every mission (or at least the few I've done so far)? Please tell me that doesn't happen every time... :blank:

Konami might have removed Kojima's name from the box art, but damn! He made sure it'd be seen plenty in-game. As usual. :heh: I might start keeping count, it could be a Guinness world record. :laughing:

Yeah it has it after every mission, I think they were trying to make it feel like episodes of a TV show.

And unfortunately no it doesnt save when you leave to the main menu. I've just started loading a new mission now everytime I want to quit from motherbase.

In love with this game. :) Cant stop thinking about it.

Why is it taking so long for everyone to get the game? Hurry so we can talk about the story stuff sooner :heh:

I'm not really feeling it at the moment. I have no idea why this TV episode structure has been introduced to the series. It brings absolutely nothing to the game other than having credits pop up after every mission. Very annoying.

I'm not the biggest fan of open world games and this being VERY open was always going to be an issue for me. I much prefer the linear approach of the other MGS games or even the mission based gameplay structure that Peace Walker used.

It's early days yet but it hasn't pulled me in like previous MGS games have.

I'm not really feeling it at the moment.
That's a shame, I imagined you'd be drooling all over the shop. :heh:

Definitely agree on the credits/TV episode thing though, as I mentioned before.

I mean it's not that bad as they're pretty quick, but that doesn't change the fact it's completely pointless. :blank:

Anyway, I'm actually really starting to enjoy the game now. Played a great session last night just free-roaming on horseback. Exploring the terrain, gathering plants etc, watching the sun go down... was proper chilled. :love: Almost felt like I was playing Animal Crossing! :laughing:

Qx0b4DF.jpg

Unfortunately the game crashed on me at one point (maybe it didn't like me faffing about :hehe:) but luckily when I started it up again I was in more or less the same spot. The auto save kicks in quite a bit during gameplay.

Did a few missions too. One of which saw me get jumped by a wolf:

Scared the shit out of me! :D

Fortunately I encountered a more friendly animal too:

y3au2Qj.jpg

Early days, but I'm really liking aspects of this game. Pretty sure this is going to end up being my fave Metal Gear. :)

Wish the PS4 recorded longer vids though, as I missed a funny moment where I tried to Fulton extract a soldier that was inside a building. :laughing:

I'm not really feeling it at the moment. I have no idea why this TV episode structure has been introduced to the series. It brings absolutely nothing to the game other than having credits pop up after every mission. Very annoying.

I'm not the biggest fan of open world games and this being VERY open was always going to be an issue for me. I much prefer the linear approach of the other MGS games or even the mission based gameplay structure that Peace Walker used.

It's early days yet but it hasn't pulled me in like previous MGS games have.

Exact opposite for me. Im loving the open world aspect. I finally feel like I can properly take my time, scout the areas and come up with a plan. Only issue at the moment is that the story doesnt feel as well integrated but im hoping it will start to ramp up the further I get into it. I just finished mission 10 this morning.

How story heavy is this game? It looks absolutely stunning to me, but I've never, ever played an MGS game before.

How important is it to play the other games beforehand? Is it like a Witcher 3 experience where the game essentially fills you in on the details in the previous games or you can work it out yourself, or is it much more complicated than that?

How story heavy is this game? It looks absolutely stunning to me, but I've never, ever played an MGS game before.

How important is it to play the other games beforehand? Is it like a Witcher 3 experience where the game essentially fills you in on the details in the previous games or you can work it out yourself, or is it much more complicated than that?

You could probably get by just by playing Ground Zeroes. That gives you a quick recap of MGS3 and Peace Walker. Ground Zeroes is really essential playing though as this is a direct continuation of the events in that game.

Just arrived from Shopto! Man that case is so much better than the crap it's meant to come with, still should say a hideo kojima game though

Mine arrived from Shopto this morning as well but had to go out (damn you real life!) anyway back now and ready to play!

Oh man, so did mine. Now I wish I hadn't agreed to cover that Sunday shift. Ah well.

Mine also arrived. Sold it straight to my mate who was chuffed to get it early. I kept the steel case though. :D

My Shopto order came through today too. Quickly finished Ground Zeroes, time to get cracking on Phantom Pain!

The missions have been brilliant so far. They really spent alot of time making the game and designing the missions. Its definately not your typcial open world game where missions tend to be basic story points or collectathons. You have many optional aspects too. Think a better MGS4 but bigger playground with many paths and flexibility.

Umm no. I am playing the game. The credits are not annoying at all. They flash by very quickly you wont catch the names (its that fast!) and its only at the ranking part where you get your rank. Its not annoying at all.

Umm no. I am playing the game. The credits are not annoying at all. They flash by very quickly you wont catch the names (its that fast!) and its only at the ranking part where you get your rank. Its not annoying at all.

Umm Yes. Now ( pay attention as this next part is key ) FOR ME I find them intrusive and unnecessary. You don't mind them? Great. However, I do.

My copy arrived as well, see Shopto (or more like, the Royal Mail) delivered 3 days early for a change. Don't have the time to start tonight, shall play as of tomorrow morning.