NEurope
Hero-of-Time

MGS V: Phantom Pain

So I finally return to this game after a 2 week break, and I'm greeted with this ridiculousness:

:laughing:

Yeah, the enemy soldiers in that vehicle run into one of their buddies, then act like they're under attack and go on alert! :o

How unfair is that? :heh:

Anyway, I've now unlocked mission 41, which I believe is close to the point of no return...

...for Quiet.

:(

Kind of annoying how you have to lose her in order to finish the game. Not that I'd probably replay this game much in the future, but it would've been nice to still have the choice of Quiet as a buddy if I decided to go back to it at some point. :blank:

BTW, looks like that game breaking glitch has been fixed with the latest patch. :)

ARRGGGHHHH!! Mission 45, why are you so annoying?! :shakehead

Must have attempted it around 20 times already, but still haven't been able to do it. Got the gunship to appear a few times but those Goddamn tanks and their insta-kill missiles would always end up getting me. Even when I was behind cover!

:indeed:

I clearly need to be better prepared for this mission, but it doesn't seem like I can return to Mother Base now. :o @Hero\-of\-Time, am I stuck stuck with my crappy rocket launcher and whatever I can pick up in the mission itself now? :blank: Really hope not, because I'm probably screwed in that case. :blank:

BTW, @drahkon, how goes your MGSV playthrough, or are you still taking a break from it?

@drahkon, how goes your MGSV playthrough, or are you still taking a break from it?

Right now I have a weird - let's call it - play-schedule :laughing: I have played Diablo 3 and Destiny the past few days. Now I've started The Witcher 3 again...juggling all three is proving to be difficult.

MGSV is still on hold. Maybe I'll switch Diablo 3 with Metal Gear...

Right now I have a weird - let's call it - play-schedule :laughing: I have played Diablo 3 and Destiny the past few days. Now I've started The Witcher 3 again...juggling all three is proving to be difficult.

MGSV is still on hold. Maybe I'll switch Diablo 3 with Metal Gear...

I see. :hehe:

What mission were you at with MGSV?

What mission were you at with MGSV?

If I remember correctly I've just unlocked Mission 41 (or 42 or 43? Not sure which...)

ARRGGGHHHH!! Mission 45, why are you so annoying?! :shakehead

Must have attempted it around 20 times already, but still haven't been able to do it. Got the gunship to appear a few times but those Goddamn tanks and their insta-kill missiles would always end up getting me. Even when I was behind cover!

I clearly need to be better prepared for this mission, but it doesn't seem like I can return to Mother Base now. :o @Hero\-of\-Time, am I stuck stuck with my crappy rocket launcher and whatever I can pick up in the mission itself now? :blank: Really hope not, because I'm probably screwed in that case. :blank:

BTW, @drahkon, how goes your MGSV playthrough, or are you still taking a break from it?

If you can redo the mission then it might be worth going back to Motherbase and researching a more powerful rocket launcher. The one I used wasnt brilliant though, you just have to make sure you keep firing quickly. I barely used cover during that mission, just kept running around so I was never in the same place when they fired.

If I remember correctly I've just unlocked Mission 41 (or 42 or 43? Not sure which...)
Ah, so you're not far from the point I'm at. Well, depending on what Side Ops you've done... I think. It's kind of unclear how some of the later missions unlock. :blank:

If you can redo the mission then it might be worth going back to Motherbase and researching a more powerful rocket launcher. The one I used wasnt brilliant though, you just have to make sure you keep firing quickly. I barely used cover during that mission, just kept running around so I was never in the same place when they fired.

That's the thing though, I appear to be stuck in the mission! I can restart the checkpoint and that's it. Returning to the title screen and starting the game from there also sends me back to the same checkpoint. :shakehead

Will try your suggestion of moving about a bit more though, see if that helps.

Can't believe an action based mission like this is giving me more trouble than any of the stealth based ones though! Crazy.

Fuck Mission 45. :mad: Seriously, could it be any more poorly thought out?! The fact that it's possible to get stuck in such an unprepared state is just mind-boggling, how the hell did they not realize this during playtesting? :blank:

It's unlikely that I'll be able to finish the game now (with only 1 more mission to go) purely because of this. :(

I decided to have another go at it this morning, and was finally able to pass Mission 45.

Had to make use of the chicken hat for the first time though...

...but not the ordinary chicken hat. Although I did try using that a few times too, I found it actually made the mission even more difficult, because the enemies would just attack Quiet more and the "invisibility" was still quite limited, so eventually they'd end up attacking me like before.

But the game then offered me the choice of using the lil' chicken hat, a more effective version that actually makes you completely invisible! :o Well, until you fire your weapon. But yeah, using that I just ran up to most of the tanks and Fulton extracted them. :heh:

It's a shame I had to end up clearing the mission in this way, but I literally had no choice, and certainly gave it a good go beforehand. It's also good to know that the game does eventually provide a way to get out of that situation, even if it takes way too long to make the option available for my liking.

Anyway, will check out mission 46 tonight (hopefully there's no bullshit in that one) and finally get to see the real ending of the game.

I decided to have another go at it this morning, and was finally able to pass Mission 45.

Had to make use of the chicken hat for the first time though...

...but not the ordinary chicken hat. Although I did try using that a few times too, I found it actually made the mission even more difficult, because the enemies would just attack Quiet more and the "invisibility" was still quite limited, so eventually they'd end up attacking me like before.

But the game then offered me the choice of using the lil' chicken hat, a more effective version that actually makes you completely invisible! :o Well, until you fire your weapon. But yeah, using that I just ran up to most of the tanks and Fulton extracted them. :heh:

It's a shame I had to end up clearing the mission in this way, but I literally had no choice, and certainly gave it a good go beforehand. It's also good to know that the game does eventually provide a way to get out of that situation, even if it takes way too long to make the option available for my liking.

Anyway, will check out mission 46 tonight (hopefully there's no bullshit in that one) and finally get to see the real ending of the game.

Exactly the same way I had to check that mission of the completed list. I was equally as blown away as you at the revelation of

Little Chicken Hat

Helped massively though and yeah Fulton extracted the tanks away with that on.

After 100 hours... Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is "complete"! :yay:

DjtENey.jpg

Wasn't too keen on having to replay the first mission again

:zzz: but the way it uses the info you provide at the start of the game was a nice touch:

G5ULyPl.jpg

Yeah, against all odds I managed to beat this game! :hehe:

Has been a very interesting experience for me, one that has managed to change my opinion of stealth gameplay completely! :o

Apart from Mission 45 (not sure what happened with that one :indeed:) and a few other oddities here and there, MGSV is one of the most well designed video games I've ever played. The level of detail in the presentation and more importantly the game mechanics is nothing short of phenomenal, and even after 100 hours I know there is still a lot of stuff in the game that I haven't seen, and probably never will.

The potential for experimentation when playing this game is actually scary. To achieve such diverse gameplay in an open world setting seems like it shouldn't be possible, but somehow they pulled it off. MGSV raises the bar in a lot of areas of game design to incredible heights and it'll be very interesting to see if/how any game manages to surpass it.

Am I the only one bothered by how silent Snake is?

And when he does speak, Kiefer Sutherland doesen't seem to be in to it at all.

Am I the only one bothered by how silent Snake is?

And when he does speak, Kiefer Sutherland doesen't seem to be in to it at all.

Nope, its been complained about a lot. You are basically a silent protagonist for way too much of the game :(

Listen to the tapes, you literally can't get him to shut up

Maybe, but his silence in the cutscenes is really awkward. How he says nothing when Ocelot and Miller bicker and Snake just looks at them and seems to have no say in the matter.

when he first meets Quiet. He's just stone faced and silent throughout the whole ordeal. He says nothing when there's bickering on whether he should kill her or not, he says nothing when she gets out of her handcuffs and he says nothing when it turns out that she's still on the chopper, right behind him, holding a rifle. We find out that she's mute because Ocelot bluntly says it, rather than Snake talking to her without getting any response. If you didn't know about it from spoilers, you might first think that she's normal, since barelly anyone talks on-screen

But admittedly, Snake seems to talk a bit more, the further the game progresses.

when he first meets Quiet. He's just stone faced and silent throughout.

He's busy admiring the view, there's a lot to take in.

maxresdefault.jpg

He's busy admiring the view, there's a lot to take in.

maxresdefault.jpg

I witnessed this scene for the first time today...well...SEXY AS FUCK.

Anyway...after an almost three week break I had a major playsession today. 8 hours!

Managed to do a lot of Side-Ops, got an S-Rank on the first 6 missions, reached the Hero-Status, developed a shitload of weapons, customized a lot of weapons (I now own a semi-automatic sniper rifle with a grenade launcher attachement; because I can :D), extracted 6 soldiers with an S-Rank, upgraded my FOB (it's currently way cheaper than upgrading Mother Base)...

83 hours in, 62% total completion.

It amazes me how I'm still not bored of the game...and I haven't even messed around with my equipment and enemy soldiers.

I remember spending at least 50 hours with MGS 3 doing nothing but annoying enemies :laughing: I can see myself doing the same with MGS V...

Real life prevents me from playing the game for another at least 2 weeks, though :(

Remember Metal Gear Online is available tomorrow!

I'm so excited!

Looks amazing. :awesome:

Hopefully the servers won't go to shit tonight.

If you bought the day one edition don't forget to redeem your code for an XP boost!

maxresdefault.jpg

Metal Gear Online is a troll's paradise, and it's amazing

Don't be fooled by Metal Gear Online's ability to disguise itself as a typical, third-person multiplayer game. MGO has that special Metal Gear quirkiness you inherit from Fulton balloons, cardboard boxes, and D-Dog plushies. When an online match is filled with players who all have the items and abilities of Snake, one element of play is sure to thrive: trolling. But instead of trying to master the trolls, MGO embraces them, making its online matches unlike any other game.

Sure, MGO covers all the usual bases too. There are game modes reminiscent of traditional multiplayer modes like deathmatch, domination, and capture the flag. It has all of the features to make an entertaining, generic multiplayer component: progression system, solid shooting mechanics, and tons of character customization options, but there's so much more to it than that.

Metal Gear Online gives you all of the moves and abilities Snake has in The Phantom Pain. You can slam enemies on the ground, interrogate them to find enemy locations, Fulton them off the map, knock people unconscious, and use them as bullet shields. The versatility is astounding, and having such a diverse moveset allows you to do all sorts of debilitating things to your opponents. If you have the skill, you can troll your enemies until they cry.

If you manage to get the jump on a lone sniper, you could sneak up, slit their throat and move on. BORING. Why not knock them out and mess with their mind instead? When they're unconscious, they view the world from a first-person perspective, mashing buttons to wake up. While that struggle happens, you can do things like, hmm ... place a C4 bomb right in front of their face while they're out, giving them a clear picture of what's going to happen when they wake. Just being able to add these small touches to your kills makes trolling something that should, no, must be done.

With more play in MGO you can unlock gadgets that will up your trolling game. As you play matches, get kills, Fulton other players, or tag enemies with your binoculars, you get experience points and GP (the game's currency), which you spend on items like guns, decoys, and Fulton mines. You can even purchase an adorable D-Dog plushie toy that stuns enemies when they look at it. As pink hearts float around their head, you just know they're seething with anger inside.

You can keep players in a stunned state using multiple gadgets. If you tranquilize an enemy and place a plushie in front of their face, they'll get a nice wakeup call: love struck by the cute puppy toy and frozen in place. That's your chance choke them out again, set bombs all around, or just stun them again to continue the cycle. Your enemy is at your mercy and there's nothing they can do about it.

In every match, one player is selected to play a hero character, each with special loadouts and abilities. If you're lucky enough to get randomly selected to play as one of the heroes, even more trolling options open up - and they're built right into the character's abilities. Ocelot uses his gunslinger skills to wreck opponents on the battlefield. If an enemy is tagged, Ocelot can shoot his pistols at any nearby wall, sending the bullets into their target with a ricochet. You don't even need to face other enemy players to kill them, giving you the chance to set up a perfect "gotcha" moment.

Alternatively, you can go in with Ocelot's shield, pistol, and sensor grenade loadout. When you toss the sensor grenade - which marks nearby enemies - and fire your pistol into the air, the bullets home into the marked targets, allowing you to block incoming fire with the shield and shoot curving bullets from safety. You make yourself tough to kill and make your enemies easy targets. Sure, it seems incredibly overpowered, but the hero abilities feel within character, making them a unique combatant and a blast to use.

Even MGO's game modes encourage the trolling mentality. Bounty Hunter mode has players racking up kills to reduce the other team's tickets, like you would in a standard Deathmatch, but as players dispatch opponents they also build up their bounty score. If that player with the high bounty score gets Fultoned by the other team, that score is refunded to their tickets. Eventually, the match turns and players begin to forego kills and go for stuns and Fultons - sometimes continuously stunning a high bounty player as they try to get a clear Fulton launch. Players start resorting to sprinting shield bashes, CQC ground slams, and precision tranquilizer shots. But those who get more creative can also find success. I saw one player equip a cardboard box on top of a hill, dive down the slope, and slide into two enemies like they were bowling pins. They were out.

Some of the best trolling can come from a simple taunt, which I witnessed during a Cloak and Dagger match. In this game mode, the attacking team plays the part of stealthy infiltrators, giving them stealth camouflage, non-lethal weapons, and the goal of capturing a data disk to upload into a terminal. The defending team, meanwhile has lethal weapons and must eliminate the other team. I saw a defending team eliminate all but one attacker, but when they finally found him ... they didn't kill him. The nearby defenders put the poor man to sleep with a gas grenade, attached a Fulton balloon and all saluted while his unconscious body floated away. Trolls.

Metal Gear Online doesn't put any constraints on your gameplay style, but rather sets you free with a diverse ability set and inventory. MGO makes no apologies for allowing the ridiculous and hilarious troll tactics players are capable of, and that's a great thing. This level of freedom in a competitive multiplayer game means you worry less about your kill-to-death ratio and focus on the exciting moments of the match - like getting revengeance on the guy that made a fool out of you last round. If you aren't trolling your fellow gamers any chance you get in Metal Gear Online, you just aren't doing it right.

@Cookyman, you play much online yet? I managed an hour or so last night, and was surprised at how well it was running for day 1! icon14.gif

Anyway, it's pretty damn sweet. Very different to the main game though, I don't think stealth tactics work quite as well when other players are involved. :heh: I definitely did better (still bad :grin:) when I was rocking a Walker Gear and just shooting everywhere like a nutter. :laughing:

Did manage a few moments of stealth though, one of which was particularly rad as I grabbed an enemy player and interrogated them right at the end of a match which ended up winning it for my team! :awesome:

It is bloody funny how you can mess with people when they're knocked out too. :D Also really weird when you get caught though, I was grabbed once by someone that was using stealth camo, and before realizing what had happened I thought my controller had broken! :hehe:

@Cookyman, you play much online yet? I managed an hour or so last night, and was surprised at how well it was running for day 1! icon14.gif

Managed about an hour last night and it's bloody impressive and fun. It ran pretty flawlessly although it wouldn't let you create parties.

Why are only 2 of us playing this? a shit ton of people got the game!

I also really like the FOB mode too.

The game overall just offers a ridiculous amount of content.

Managed about an hour last night and it's bloody impressive and fun. It ran pretty flawlessly although it wouldn't let you create parties.
Yeah, the interface is a bit weird too. Especially how there's no way to get out of the online mode without quitting the entire game. :wtf:Unless I'm missing something really obvious. :heh:

Why are only 2 of us playing this? a shit ton of people got the game!
No idea, quite surprising though. :blank:

Anyway, I'll probably be on this quite a bit (in-between sessions of Uncharted :hehe:) so hopefully we (and perhaps some other N-E players) can team up at some point.

I'm really shit though, so keep that in mind. :D

I tried online today and it was just stuck on trying to find a match, keen to give it a go though!