NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

Doesn't Mario Maker show what they've been doing for the past 30 years? The fact they can just reskin the original game into NSMB at the flick of a switch shows very little has changed in all that time. Well the building blocks at least.

Edited by Wii
left out a few words

Doesn't Mario Maker show what they've been doing for the past 30 years? The fact they can just reskin the original game into NSMB shows very little has changed in all that time. Well the building blocks at least.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

True but it does explain why people are fatigued at this point.

Facepalm. Each new game has introduced new mechanics that didn't exist in previous titles. Retrofitting old games to include them doesn't mean the games haven't changed, it means we have a basic Mario level builder that can swap art styles.

Doesn't Mario Maker show what they've been doing for the past 30 years? The fact they can just reskin the original game into NSMB at the flick of a switch shows very little has changed in all that time. Well the building blocks at least.

No. Absolutely not.

I think we all underestimate just how difficult it is to come up with compelling level designs that are fun and provide just the right challenge. If anything, it's a testament to just how good Nintendo are that they've managed to keep producing such amazing platformers over 3 decades :hehe:

I think we all underestimate just how difficult it is to come up with compelling level designs that are fun and provide just the right challenge. If anything, it's a testament to just how good Nintendo are that they've managed to keep producing such amazing platformers over 3 decades :hehe:

Exactly. There's a difference between making a platformer and making a polished, clever, fun platformer.

Exactly. There's a difference between making a platformer and making a polished, clever, fun platformer.

copy-and-paste.jpeg

I jest...or do I? ::shrug:

Nothing directly to do with the game itself but it's cool none the less and not sure where else to put it.

Super Mario Bros. on the beach in Puerto Vallarta, México

Mario Maker Analysis - Nintendo Direct Trailer (Secrets & Hidden Details)

Yoshi in Mario Maker?! Tour of Mario's 30th Anniversary Website

Mario Maker “Make & Play” video

What they've done with the audio while creating stages is absolutely amazing. icon14.gif:love:

I slowed down the spedup section of the above video, and every object you can drag around messes with the Mario theme music in unique ways. You can also hear the voice singing "wings" and "coin" when those get added to the scene. :hehe:

I can honestly say that I'd happily purchase Mario Maker just to play around with this musical aspect of the stage creator. :D

I'd previously wondered what they'd do for 'new' enemies not present in the older games with regards to the skins and it's nice to see they've retro'd them to fit. Assuming they'll be doing the same with items and that's strangely kinda nice for me. Is there any details on likely pricing and sharing features for this? Online leaderboards/times etc? The social aspect of this could make this a really compelling title if it's done right.

I'd previously wondered what they'd do for 'new' enemies not present in the older games with regards to the skins and it's nice to see they've retro'd them to fit. Assuming they'll be doing the same with items and that's strangely kinda nice for me. Is there any details on likely pricing and sharing features for this? Online leaderboards/times etc? The social aspect of this could make this a really compelling title if it's done right.

That right there is what's going to make or break the game for a lot of people. The download/upload times especially need to be fast for these feature to be worth while.

It needs background downloads/uploads... It would be amazing if you could set specific challenges with online leaderboards for you levels - most coins, quickest time, fewest deaths etc But I think that really is asking a bit much :)

I can't imagine downloading a level will take that much time. The parameters/code for each level wouldn't be that meaty a download. I can see Nintendo running special competitions and giving us a few of their own levels in there as well.

I liked seeing the Mario World end goal in that clip, give me that over the flag pole of SMB/NSMBU or the exit stage right of SMB3 any day.

I liked seeing the Mario World end goal in that clip, give me that over the flag pole of SMB/NSMBU or the exit stage right of SMB3 any day.

YES!

Hope we can also create our own Bonus Stage. : peace:

Background downloading is a good shout Dazzy, even though as Ronnie says I can't see them being hueg downloads. I played a lot with ROM editors back in the day and there was one guy called FuSoYa that managed to blow SMW wide open into a really customisable game via his editor Lunar Magic which was also quite easy to use - the idea of this as a glorified ROM hacker put me off a bit at first but then considering the social aspects of it it can really be great.

Here's some of my speculative ideas:

Background downloading - a daily level challenge. Or weekly. Or monthly for a bastard hard/really replayable one. Essentially though you get home and bam, you're ready to go. Possibly even a quick launch for the Gamepad(ie just get going with that, no need for the TV etc).

Leaderboards - With each level comes all time leaderboards and daily/weekly/monthly. The lesser ones are just to reward those of us who won't necessarily chart too high on the all-time ones y'see :p. Quick and easy/fast viewing of friend's scores(Zen Pinball used the simplicity of scoreboards and in particular friends to an excellent effect iirc), ease of viewing post level as you cross/are crossing the finish line that gives you a 'ah just one more go then' sort of feel.

Challenges? - possibly add in 'challenges' not for any reward but just as an 'other' sort of leaderboard. Again they renew every X duration(maybe daily) and it'll just sorta be how many you've accomplished. Obviously here the grand reward is those who play more regularly get more! I haven't thought through the implementation of this too much though.

Big focus for me for any of this would essentially be a slick and fast, heavily online for essentially a non-multiplayer setting, integration of online features.

YES!

Hope we can also create our own Bonus Stage. : peace:

Indeed. My concern is the lack of pipe shortcuts etc. Hopefully we can do them

Mario Maker Analysis - Nintendo Direct Trailer (Secrets & Hidden Details)

Yoshi in Mario Maker?! Tour of Mario's 30th Anniversary Website

This guy is a genius.

This game looks incredible, so much content!!

I had another idea on the social aspect! Difficulty ratings! When a user creates a stage they can maybe assign their own difficulty rating, but when other users COMPLETE a stage, they can rate it with their own difficulty rating. Then over time people can find stages they think they might like the challenge of etc. You can see the creator's rating, average user rating(maybe even one line reviews tied into miiverse, some tiptop miiverse integration could be good also) and friend's ratings? If you find a user who shares similar idea of difficulty for a stage with yourself you might be more inclined to check out more of their stages.

It'd be quite cool if they could take on a different world's setting per rating, but that'd ofc take away some of the creator's design ability, and isn't neccessarily wholly applicable anyway.

Watching the NicoNico stream from the stage show today. You can make such awesome levels

It needs background downloads/uploads...

This is not the game that needs background uploads. As discussed I these levels won't be too big, but Mario Kart TV is painfully slow to upload, after rendering the video it should upload during sleep mode.