NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

No you did not. They were saying is very basic and clunky.

All they need to add is a search for it, then it'd be perfect. Though a search by player is doable through Miiverse and stages playable straight from there, which is pretty cool

Nobody thought to come in here after the Direct? I think that says a lot.

Anyway, Mario Maker allows you to create a sequence of levels.

mario_maker_sequence.png

Mario 30th Anniversary - Mario Level Maker Animation

Mario Maker 30th Anniversary Nintendo Direct Clip

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Nobody thought to come in here after the Direct? I think that says a lot.

It says not much information was given and what info there was shown was discussed in the Direct thread. Stop being a troublemaker.

I think it's nice that you can sequence the levels, I shall purposefully not include any of the 'New!' style levels though, I want mine to be all 80's and 90's inspired. :awesome:

This got me thinking though... if this is successful which I'm sure it will be and with Nintendo recently taking down the fan-made Mario 64 HD, what do you think the chances are of us getting a Mario Maker 2 on a future console - perhaps NX - which would allow you to make 3D Mario levels inspired by Super Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy?

Just a thought. : peace:

I think it's nice that you can sequence the levels, I shall purposefully not include any of the 'New!' style levels though, I want mine to be all 80's and 90's inspired. :awesome:

This got me thinking though... if this is successful which I'm sure it will be and with Nintendo recently taking down the fan-made Mario 64 HD, what do you think the chances are of us getting a Mario Maker 2 on a future console - perhaps NX - which would allow you to make 3D Mario levels inspired by Super Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy?

I wouldn't expect so. 3D Mario is a different beast to 2D. 2D is logical and has set pieces...3D Mario games are much more open.

I don't know about that. It would be so much harder to do and I'd say it would be extremely limited if even possible. The gap between 2D and 3D is colossal.

I personally like how they're doing things and sprites for various characters in this game that weren't in the previous one.

VeOY7bT.png

Super Mario Bros. style Wriggler & Thwomp. Thwomp was first introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Wriggler in Super Mario World. At the end is a standard sized Bowser, too, so we'll likely see some Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. style look for it.

Previously there was the concern that using certain things would result in it being incompatible with the style, but now we know better.

That is a neat little addition actually. Very much looking forward to playing around with this title.

It says not much information was given and what info there was shown was discussed in the Direct thread. Stop being a troublemaker.

You really are quite a fine one to talk. At least Wii is bringin thread-relevant things with him, rather than just aiming to have a pop at someone or their posts. It's happening too much around here lately, and I'm really getting sick of it. Really - what does your post add here?

As for the topic itself - wasn't the direct first revealing of the generations beyond just SMB1 and NSMB? I was enjoying the SMW and somewhat the SMB3 skins, but I still can't say this a title jumping out at me particularly. Is it priced yet at all btw?

I really can't wait for this game and hope it's the death of the NEW series. Well side scrolling mario's in general. Release a 3DS or NX version too. Have a Mario level builder app on smart phones/tablets and let us play each others creations. Maybe Nintendo could release paid for DLC of stuff they've created. But this is enough for a while I think.

Then in a few years, maybe they can relaunch 2D mario but really go bold with it in terms of presentation and such.

Have to second previous thread thinking that 3D is just too big and wild a beast to be able to simply 'create your own'. No doubt you probably can out there somewhere, but an official implementation is just too tricky to pull off imo.

I'm pretty sure they only showed SMB and NSMB at the first reveal and we hoped they'd have more skins.

Words cannot describe how happy I am that the Data Robot and its legendary tune from Mario Paint return for Mario Maker. :yay:

I actually hope it takes as long to upload stages as it did to save stuff on MP, just so I can listen to it more. :grin:

Obviously very much looking forward to Mario Maker, but I am quite puzzled by the September release. :hmm: Going on what they've shown so far (in fact, even when it was first shown) the game looks ready to roll, I really don't understand what's going to hold it up until September. ::shrug:

Perhaps impatience is clouding my judgement though. :D

I really can't wait for this game and hope it's the death of the NEW series. Well side scrolling mario's in general. Release a 3DS or NX version too. Have a Mario level builder app on smart phones/tablets and let us play each others creations. Maybe Nintendo could release paid for DLC of stuff they've created. But this is enough for a while I think.

Then in a few years, maybe they can relaunch 2D mario but really go bold with it in terms of presentation and such.

Why does 2D Mario need a relaunch? It had already got a relaunch with the NEW series with the Wii U version is the best. I actually found it as fun as SMW.

Nostalga does effect perception. I recently complete ALTTP and I didnt find it mindblowing and it will never have a special place in my heart. Why? Because I have played Zelda games afterwards. My point is that the Wii U version of the NEW series was a contender of the definitive 2D mario.

I think that if New Super Mario Bros U was released, exactly as it was in terms of stages etc., but with a different aesthetic, many would be hailing it as the second coming, Many just don't give it a shot because of the look. It was 2D Mario platforming at its absolute best, especially with New Super Luigi U DLC

Personally I found it rather unforgettable. Regardless of art style.

Unlike others, I think a 3-d version could be possible, look at minecraft, or closer to home, even Doshin the Giant for moulding a level. place a character and designate a "territory" over which it will roam, set it's parameters (how perceptive, aggressive and persistant it will be for example).

A bit like tipping stars, I can imagine a few template levels being included to help people get started, but I don't see why 3d would work any less well than 2d. Some people won't make good levels, others will.

Why does 2D Mario need a relaunch? It had already got a relaunch with the NEW series with the Wii U version is the best. I actually found it as fun as SMW.

Nostalga does effect perception. I recently complete ALTTP and I didnt find it mindblowing and it will never have a special place in my heart. Why? Because I have played Zelda games afterwards. My point is that the Wii U version of the NEW series was a contender of the definitive 2D mario.

Just because it feels a little stale, there's been so many of them, I think it could do with a break so when a new one comes out people will actually care. I think it could do with a new design approach too, again, it looks the same as all the other NEW games.

I personally love the games too (except nsmb2) but it's all too much. Think of the NES games even - 1, 2, 3 all very different. But is there much difference between U and DS original?

Mario maker allows them to have some time off and let us create our own levels, then Nintendo can come back and show us how it's done.

I think that if New Super Mario Bros U was released, exactly as it was in terms of stages etc., but with a different aesthetic, many would be hailing it as the second coming, Many just don't give it a shot because of the look. It was 2D Mario platforming at its absolute best, especially with New Super Luigi U DLC

Strongly disagree, the biggest problem with this series is that nothing changes; changing just visuals/aesthetic would not solve this. We'd still be trundling through the same world map style, the same boss structure, the same level themes, mostly the same power ups, same pretty much everything else. Such a stale franchise that continues to sell because it's Mario Bros.

Words cannot describe how happy I am that the Data Robot and its legendary tune from Mario Paint return for Mario Maker. :yay:

I actually hope it takes as long to upload stages as it did to save stuff on MP, just so I can listen to it more. :grin:

Obviously very much looking forward to Mario Maker, but I am quite puzzled by the September release. :hmm: Going on what they've shown so far (in fact, even when it was first shown) the game looks ready to roll, I really don't understand what's going to hold it up until September. ::shrug:

Perhaps impatience is clouding my judgement though. :D

Haha, I still have Mario Paint and the included mouse and mousepad lying around here somewhere. I loved the bug squatting game and the music creator mode! :bowdown:

Edited by markderoos

Personally I found it rather unforgettable. Regardless of art style.
Yeah, something is definitely up with NSMBU, but I can't quite put my finger on it... :hmm:

I've still not finished it though, and rarely find the motivation to even start playing. ::shrug:

Could just be that I'm a bit tired of platformers at the moment, but this is the first time I've ever played through a Mario game with such gigantic gaps in between each session. :blank:

Weirdest thing of all is that when I do actually play it, I have a great time. :wtf:

Haha, I still have Mario Paint and the included mouse and mousepad laying around here somewhere. I loved the bug squatting game and the music creator mode! :bowdown:
Mario Paint high five! : peace:

Kind of tempted to get my SNES hooked up and have another go on MP. I wonder what the last thing I worked on was like. :heh:

Dat 1 save slot. :hehe:

Remember having to use a VCR to record stuff? Those were the days. :laughing:

I havent really been following anything on this since the first announcement. Has it been said if the physics change when you change the skins or if its just cosmetic?

Mario Paint high five! : peace:

Kind of tempted to get my SNES hooked up and have another go on MP. I wonder what the last thing I worked on was like. :heh:

Dat 1 save slot. :hehe:

Remember having to use a VCR to record stuff? Those were the days. :laughing:

Man, I spent ages with the stamp/pixel art. Yoshi's in all different colours of the rainbow etc...

I think I'll give it a go tonight! :indeed:

I can't wait to see some of the fiendish levels other players put up :grin:

I'm sure I'll be having a go at creating a level or two of my own, but I fear that it will end up feeling a little too much like work :heh: Having said that, it would be awesome to have one of your levels recognised on Miiverse as something really fun to play :smile: