NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

From the Game Awards press release...

The public got its first look at Mario Maker for Wii U during the E3 video game trade show in June, and new details about the game, which lets users create their own Mario levels, were announced at The Game Awards. This includes the ability to tap the Wii U GamePad screen to change the look of the level design to a number of classic styles, including Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U. Each style includes game mechanics unique to the original game, such as ground-pound or wall-jump maneuvers. Players can integrate these mechanics into designs for the various titles featured in the game. This game will launch in 2015, which will be the 30th anniversary of the original Super Mario Bros. game.

Now THAT'S a game changer! :D

Sweet Zombie Jesus! Looking at this after the crushing disappointment that was Smash Bros Wii U's Stage Builder is just... wow! :o

And to think of the potential if they include more themes based on other games... (Didn't they hint at a Zelda based theme? ;) )

Great spot, I wonder if the physics will be changed between styles. They're pretty painful in SMB these days.

This game's quality will hinge on whether they put in an online marketplace for people to share their creations. I can't imagine it won't happen but hopefully it will be well implemented, ie voting for the best levels etc.

The reveal of Super Mario World as one of the themes available in Mario Maker has boosted my aniticipation immeasurably :yay:

I can't wait to see some of the levels created by others! I have high expectations of you in particular, @RedShell :heh:

Great spot, I wonder if the physics will be changed between styles. They're pretty painful in SMB these days.

This game's quality will hinge on whether they put in an online marketplace for people to share their creations. I can't imagine it won't happen but hopefully it will be well implemented, ie voting for the best levels etc.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned at e3 they knew this was an important aspect. The games lives or dies in the level sharing.

Yeah fingers crossed it's done well then. On a separate note, could you wall jump in NSMBU? They showed off that mechanic and it wasn't in any of the other three games?

Also, in terms of "can you string levels together?", they mentioned a few times that this will allow people to make their own "Mario games", which suggests that you can.

Wasn't really interested in this game despite how fun it looked, but seeing some of the level designs has got the creator in my going.

I'm more excited for this than I should be.

They better have a decent sharing feature. I won't be that creative. I want to play others, so long as they're not the terrible fanhack style. You don't need 15 billion cheep cheep.

Yeah I wouldn't bother making much either it'd be all about playing others' creations. I guess they would use Miiverse to implement it.

Yeah I wouldn't bother making much either it'd be all about playing others' creations. I guess they would use Miiverse to implement it.

We know they're going to have sharing, it's just a matter of how

I love the look of this game... but I have the artistic and imaginative flair of a teaspoon...

I'm so torn as to whether I should even want it... :confused:

Maybe not day 1, wait to see how sharing works.

And just had a thought.. if sharing is compatible with this, we could have an n-europe mario maker competition. Have set criteria for a level, people have a week, the level(s?) must be complete by a set deadline to have their submission accepted, and then n-europe judges, ranks their 3 favourite levels?

If nothing else, it could be a good way of getting a bunch of fun levels to play (assuming enough people on here will make great levels)

I love the look of this game... but I have the artistic and imaginative flair of a teaspoon...

I'm so torn as to whether I should even want it... :confused:

Well then just play other people's amazing creations!

Well then just play other people's amazing creations!

That's probably what I'd do. I do wonder if Nintendo will release their own levels?

So I read a Swedish gaming page today and they wrote about this.

mario_maker_leak.jpg

Seems like it's a level editor for the original SMB. Perhaps it'll contain filters, like NES Remix. Perhaps it'll support more Mario games than SMB.

For a comment on a 'dubious' rumour!

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Hmm I wonder what interest there would be in two 'tiers' of Mario Maker:

A full price (whatever that might be) where you get access to full tools

A cheap version where you can just search and play through other people's levels

Hmm I wonder what interest there would be in two 'tiers' of Mario Maker:

A full price (whatever that might be) where you get access to full tools

A cheap version where you can just search and play through other people's levels

That would actually be a fantastic idea :) because with the best will in the world I can recall buying a lot of these games which rely on user generated content - I'm looking at you Little Big Planet - and then I often don't end up really making anything worthy of note yet playing other people's creations is always fun. :D

Let's say if the whole game would be £29.99 then they could segment it into the 'Mario Maker' part while the playable section could be labelled as 'Mario Player' within the software so there could be the 'player' section sold for a much cheaper £11.99 or similar price with the option to upgrade to the full version later - all digitally of course - or Nintendo could give out free codes with the full version which would give free access to a trial version like how they did with Tamadochi Life which could encourage people to at least have a go at it. : peace:

Really good GameExplain analysis on this:

Edited by Phube

Oh boy it looks increeible they're giving us the tool, now give us the sharing power. Bundling levels to create your own games would be so good. How about multiplayer too like in NSMB U?

How long do you think it'll be before someone recreates the whole of a mario gsme with this. The most pointless act in history :)

Yeah, this has definitely gone from "Maybe" to "Insta-buy" for me.

It's pretty much Little Big Planet with better physics and a far easier to use interface! Everything I've always wanted!

Looking really good but I think the whole thing is going to hinge on how easy it is to share levels and download other ones.

The Mario VS Donkey Kong sharing system gives me hope for this

For those not in the know, sharing is done rather nicely.

There are various options in game to search via Popular, Friends/Followed Players and Latest (as well as Nintendo developed ones). You can also select players profiles and see their other stages.

That's not all, though. When you're playing the game and go into the Miiverse community, there's a small button on any post that's a stage (stages are shared in Miiverse community) which loads the stage up for you in an instant. If this is how they do it in Mario Maker, I'll be very happy.

That's interesting, because I saw the Radio Free Nintendo guys were saying that the system in Mario vs DK was really bad?

@Hero\-of\-Time, did I imagine that?

That's interesting, because I saw the Radio Free Nintendo guys were saying that the system in Mario vs DK was really bad?

There's no direct way to search based on title or direct for the person outside Miiverse but once you have a post by them, you can follow them, check their other ones etc.

It's not perfect, but it's a decent enough system, I especially like being able to start directly from Miiverse.

Edited by Serebii

No you did not. They were saying is very basic and clunky.