NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

Am I the only one that's really disappointed they've included custom recordable sound effects? I can easily imagine the types of obnoxious, off-putting stuff we'll get in the community. I'm also frankly amazed Nintendo, being Nintendo, included it. It just seems like the last thing they'd put in a game, let alone a Mario game.

When uploaded the custom sounds don't go with it

I expected that'd be the case given Nintendo are Nintendo as you say - it's a shame it can't be shared between friends with the sounds at least as tbh that's probably the better application for it(local will be amusing, I guess, but I feel we're increasingly moving away from local gameplay). I think the silly giant bomb usage is a great example of it though - simple yet amusing, not particularly offensive and no major deal really.

Great news

Speak for yourself...

It absolutely shoots dead some of my more wacky ideas...

And all because people can't be sensible...

Speak for yourself...

It absolutely shoots dead some of my more wacky ideas...

And all because people can't be sensible...

I just think it would ruin the community. Silly sound effects would be shoehorned into every other level just because people can. I'm not saying people like yourself and others wouldn't use it sensibly, but I do think it would open a huge can of worms.

I'm still convinced that there are other styles hidden in there somewhere. Though maybe not easily obtainable else we'd know about it from those who don't understand embargoes

kFKvZnY.jpg

There's a very conspicuous gap there. They could have separated theme evenly, but they instead decided to have that gap. I tested and they can fit two more styles into that

kizg7bA.jpg

So, if they ever do, my money is on the Super Mario All Stars look and the Super Mario Land 2 Look

tALSfx7.pngJFYbLad.pngss_sml2.gif

I'd still say there are only four styles. It would look a little strange if they were spaced out to fill the sidebar. You could also ask yourself why the eraser or robot are grouped at the top and not spaced out on the right hand side.

Having said that, if the game is very popular they could always introduce DLC with a couple of new styles. Super Mario Bros 2 would be incredible and something people would pay for I think, given the amount of new material it would involve.

I've said to @dazzybee I'd love the Super Mario Bros 2 style, its a look I adore (especially in its Advance update) but realistically I'm finding it hard to see Nintendo actually doing it.

I just think it would ruin the community. Silly sound effects would be shoehorned into every other level just because people can. I'm not saying people like yourself and others wouldn't use it sensibly, but I do think it would open a huge can of worms.

Then at least let us share them directly with friends and take it away for random uploads. Nintendo treat us like idiots.

I genuinely wish they never added the feature, never expected it, it was a beautiful surprise. Then they smash it to pieces.

I'm still convinced that there are other styles hidden in there somewhere. Though maybe not easily obtainable else we'd know about it from those who don't understand embargoes

kFKvZnY.jpg

There's a very conspicuous gap there. They could have separated theme evenly, but they instead decided to have that gap. I tested and they can fit two more styles into that

kizg7bA.jpg

It reminds me of the spacing in Mario Kart 8 where there was pretty obviously space left for downloadable cups! I suspect something similar here :hehe:

While something like a Super Mario Land or Super Mario 2 theme would be cool, it wouldn't surprise me if they created some sort of Zelda theme or even Metroid. If they do stick with Mario games, though, would a Yoshi's Island theme be out of the question..? ::shrug:

DLC styles would be rad. I'm down with that.

Hopefully with new item elements too

@Serebii

There are six level themes. I'm pretty sure they use the same layout as that. Which would explain the gap.

@Serebii

There are six level themes. I'm pretty sure they use the same layout as that. Which would explain the gap.

But they could have organised it better so there was more of a gap between each game. That's what is suspicious

Consistent design is better, as they can also use the same code and assets. It's just like building a website: similar menus use the same style. Basic website design.

Here's my most recent level: The Ultimate Test. A bit of Mario maths for you!

Here's my most recent level: The Ultimate Test. A bit of Mario maths for you!

Wow, that's really impressive!!! :bowdown::bowdown:

Wow, that's really impressive!!! :bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks! You'd never guess I was a primary school teacher, would you? ;)

It was fun coming up with the various punishments for getting a question wrong, not that you can really see much of it in the video.

Very very clever. I'm upgrading my prediction to Mario maker as the best game ever made!

Is anyone reviewing this for N-Europe? I'm keen to hear some more thoughts/levels to keep my hype going for the next 2 weeks! :bouncy:

EDIT: Kotaku posted an article about some semi/automatic levels coming out of the game(one looks familiar) but rather I'd like to give a shout to another vid they posted too - an automatic SMW rom hack done with some rhythm aspects to it too. I'm still super excited for SMM, but this is a testament to the idea that's been around for a long time;

Edited by Rummy

It's 2 o'clock in the morning... the perfect time for a ghost level, and an automatic one at that! This one definitely took me the longest to do!

Oh yeah, and I'll just leave this here too... :)

144187CF-35A3-47DF-99AA-E76DA19E4AEB_zps0nimaga1.jpg

5th! :yay: