NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

No. In fact, as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to even find your friends, unless you either happen to see a level they've put up and you add them to your 'follow' list, or you get a code for one of their levels and make contact with them that way.

No. In fact, as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to even find your friends, unless you either happen to see a level they've put up and you add them to your 'follow' list, or you get a code for one of their levels and make contact with them that way.

Are you telling me you can't just select/search for a friend from a list and view/play all the levels he/she created?

You have to put each friend on your 'follow list'? Sounds like a hassle..

Yes, that seems to be the case. There's nobody on my friends list with the game, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere you'd be able to see your friends unless you decided to follow them.

Nintendo always have to balls up something!!

So what's the point of custom sound effects if you can't send them to anyone?!

You can send levels through Miiverse, from what I understand.

Edited by Cube

You can send levels through Miiverse, from what I understand.

But that means loading Miiverse up, which isn't a speedy process in the first place.

Surely there has to be an option within the game to send/receive stuff to and from an in game friends list, rather than having to do it via Miiverse?

Considering the levels from the media build won't be playable in the retail version, I thought I'd make a recording of my levels so far. No fancy video capture equipment though, I'm afraid - good, old-fashioned 'prop the phone up next to the GamePad and record' so the quality is pretty bad! You get the idea, though. :)

Neo Hills 1

My first level. A bit of a difficult start, but gets easier and has a secret area.

Neo Underground 1

My first underground level. I wanted to make good use of the propeller mushroom in this one!

I Need A P!

My attempt at creating the alphabet song using musical notes. The P Block is hidden underneath the note that plays for P in the alphabet!

Eat, Spin Then Throw Up!

I wanted to make a level where you needed to throw things upwards, which is only possible in SMW. The name came next, then I got designing

The Thwomps Have Wings

For this I wanted to try out different ways that winged Thwomps could be used as a stage hazard. I also wanted to try and make a proper boss fight at the end. Definitely my most difficult level so far... maybe too difficult!

Hype post right here bros. Honestly - I don't think I'd create much but seeing these creations of yours in a game series I've loved so much is absolutely fucking excellent. They're all great looking levels! Doesn't have to be bastard hard to be good! How long would you say you spent on each of them? Very much enjoyed that last level you made there with the Bowser battle - something new, something challenging, great stuff. Love the Winged Thwomp mechanic in it. I'm gonna be a mario appreciator more than a mario maker I think, just absolutely love seeing the fact you can make all this from scratch with a toolbox.

One thing I got to wondering from a couple moments in those levels though, and it isn't necessarily something new but can be frustrating - can you end up with timeout traps? You have to complete your own level to finish it, but for example in your first level what happens if you fall between the tall pipes and can't jump out? As a creator*, you know never to do it and so can finish the level and thus publish it - but as a player if you fall in there you're basically fucked(I guess similar with the hover hat thingy, if you lose it) - I'm presuming there's a 'quit' option rather than waiting for timeouts as I did as a kid in Mario; but it was something frustrating when I was playing a level when I was younger and I felt absolutely stuck to the point of waiting for timeout. Small as I guess a quit/retry option immediately negates the frustration, but just...hmm. Got curious then solved my own issue. Carry on, nothing to see here!

*In balance, a good creator would see these gaps/flaws and design an out but I highly doubt everyone out there will consider this.

Oh yeah, Gamexplain confirmed that the clock cheat works so you can unlock everything quickly.

But that means loading Miiverse up, which isn't a speedy process in the first place.

Surely there has to be an option within the game to send/receive stuff to and from an in game friends list, rather than having to do it via Miiverse?

Even Miiverse isn't that helpful, as you can only get codes from it - you can't just find a level you like there, click on it and load it up in the game. Really, the only way we're going to be able to share N-E levels easily between ourselves is to find and follow each other in game. It'll be like friends lists on Wii and DS all over again!:p

Hype post right here bros. Honestly - I don't think I'd create much but seeing these creations of yours in a game series I've loved so much is absolutely fucking excellent. They're all great looking levels! Doesn't have to be bastard hard to be good! How long would you say you spent on each of them? Very much enjoyed that last level you made there with the Bowser battle - something new, something challenging, great stuff. Love the Winged Thwomp mechanic in it. I'm gonna be a mario appreciator more than a mario maker I think, just absolutely love seeing the fact you can make all this from scratch with a toolbox.

One thing I got to wondering from a couple moments in those levels though, and it isn't necessarily something new but can be frustrating - can you end up with timeout traps? You have to complete your own level to finish it, but for example in your first level what happens if you fall between the tall pipes and can't jump out? As a creator*, you know never to do it and so can finish the level and thus publish it - but as a player if you fall in there you're basically fucked(I guess similar with the hover hat thingy, if you lose it) - I'm presuming there's a 'quit' option rather than waiting for timeouts as I did as a kid in Mario; but it was something frustrating when I was playing a level when I was younger and I felt absolutely stuck to the point of waiting for timeout. Small as I guess a quit/retry option immediately negates the frustration, but just...hmm. Got curious then solved my own issue. Carry on, nothing to see here!

Cheers for the feedback - I really appreciate it. : peace: Especially as my levels have only been tried by six or seven people online, and most haven't been completed. (The P-switch and Thwomp levels have only been beaten once, and the Yoshi level hasn't been beaten at all, even though I wouldn't really consider that one hard!)

I'm most pleased with the Thwomp one, mostly because of the boss fight, although it does highlight one annoying aspect of the game - occasionally, especially if a level is quite 'full', some enemies just won't appear for some reason. Three or four times I've tried the level, I've got to Boswer and the winged Thwomp above him just wasn't there, which meant the level was impossible to beat. Very annoying...

Speaking of unbeatable levels, you mentioned timeout traps. Yes, it is possible to quit out of a level if you're stuck, and if you're playing it as part of a 100-Mario challenge, you can hold down the minus button to skip it completely. However, I have been trying hard to avoid this kind of thing in my levels. The first one you mentioned, it's not possible to get stuck between the pipes, as you can just wall jump out, then run along the top. As for the propeller mushroom level, you're right, it is possible to lose it, but I think I've made places where you can at least jump into a pit / onto spikes to force a restart if you get into that position. Like you said, though, it's not easy to consider all possibilities, but I do try to! One way that people have been trying to make it so you can't permanently lose an item is by putting it in a pipe rather than a question block, so that it will always come back.

You also asked about how long it took me to make each level - I'd say between 30-90 minutes, depending on complexity, though of course you can make something simple in much less time if you want to.

Anyway, here's my latest level, which I haven't actually uploaded in the game yet...

A Song of Ice and Fire

Teaching the player to deal with fire, then ice, then both together!

Is Miiverse not like Mario VS DK where if you're browsing while in the game, there's a button that'll take you to the level?

Is Miiverse not like Mario VS DK where if you're browsing while in the game, there's a button that'll take you to the level?

Sadly not.. Crazy, eh? :shakehead

Even Miiverse isn't that helpful, as you can only get codes from it - you can't just find a level you like there, click on it and load it up in the game. Really, the only way we're going to be able to share N-E levels easily between ourselves is to find and follow each other in game. It'll be like friends lists on Wii and DS all over again!:p

2d173v7.jpg

Sadly not.. Crazy, eh? :shakehead

Could just be because it's a temporary community rather than the main one.

Shame to hear that.

Cheers for the feedback - I really appreciate it. : peace: Especially as my levels have only been tried by six or seven people online, and most haven't been completed. (The P-switch and Thwomp levels have only been beaten once, and the Yoshi level hasn't been beaten at all, even though I wouldn't really consider that one hard!)

I'm most pleased with the Thwomp one, mostly because of the boss fight, although it does highlight one annoying aspect of the game - occasionally, especially if a level is quite 'full', some enemies just won't appear for some reason. Three or four times I've tried the level, I've got to Boswer and the winged Thwomp above him just wasn't there, which meant the level was impossible to beat. Very annoying...

No worries, I genuinely really enjoyed seeing them! I wonder on my patience levels to not give up(ofc it looks easy when you do it...you know the stage!). Re: the non-spawns - I recall a couple times when it's happened in SMW(does it happen in a particular mode/style btw?) and you could sometimes managed to get it to happen by running back then forward a bit - obvs it affects the aesthetic of your level but you might have to try and account for the bug and let the player do that somehow? Ofc it's really shitty either way, as the player might not realise something's missing!

Speaking of unbeatable levels, you mentioned timeout traps. Yes, it is possible to quit out of a level if you're stuck, and if you're playing it as part of a 100-Mario challenge, you can hold down the minus button to skip it completely. However, I have been trying hard to avoid this kind of thing in my levels. The first one you mentioned, it's not possible to get stuck between the pipes, as you can just wall jump out, then run along the top. As for the propeller mushroom level, you're right, it is possible to lose it, but I think I've made places where you can at least jump into a pit / onto spikes to force a restart if you get into that position. Like you said, though, it's not easy to consider all possibilities, but I do try to! One way that people have been trying to make it so you can't permanently lose an item is by putting it in a pipe rather than a question block, so that it will always come back.

Ah! Didn't consider the wall jumps, right you are. I considered you might pop an invisible block down there or so though. The pipe idea to counter the losses makes sense too.

Won't be able to watch the latest level til I'm home again later, I look forward to it!

It is good. Shame they got an American to say "Mario" though :heh: There's no 'h' in there!

Edited by Ashley

Ehh, it's an ok ad. Nothing special really, gets the job done and that's about it.

There's not much that really stands out as being particularly memorable about it. Some nice looking CG, but not one that anyone is going to really remember :heh:

Just remember it's out on the 11th of September. The 11th of September.

NOT September the 11th.

DEFINITELY NOT 9/11.

THE ELEVENTH OF SEPTEMBER.

Edited by gaggle64

Just remember it's out on the 11th of September. The 11th of September.

NOT September the 11th.

DEFINITELY NOT 9/11.

THE ELEVENTH OF SEPTEMBER.

I'm sad to say I've already considered the tasteless levels that could, and quite possibly would, be made. I'm really hoping it won't happen though.

Am I the only one that's really disappointed they've included custom recordable sound effects? I can easily imagine the types of obnoxious, off-putting stuff we'll get in the community. I'm also frankly amazed Nintendo, being Nintendo, included it. It just seems like the last thing they'd put in a game, let alone a Mario game.

Am I the only one that's really disappointed they've included custom recordable sound effects? I can easily imagine the types of obnoxious, off-putting stuff we'll get in the community. I'm also frankly amazed Nintendo, being Nintendo, included it. It just seems like the last thing they'd put in a game, let alone a Mario game.

But for those who'll use it in the "correct" way - for example not using it to record as many expletives as possible - the potential is amazing.

It's a Catch 22 situation, I still think many good things will come of it. :)