NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

This might seem like a dumb question but... do you think there'll be enough fun to be had if you're way too lazy to make levels? Like just playing other peoples' levels, etc.

Absolutely.

You know, as long as you have an internet connection, you'll have countless levels to play.

PROTIP: The best levels are going to be the ones in the style of NSMB.

Spin hovering, Wall jumping and Ground Pounding open up more possibilities than the other styles.

This might seem like a dumb question but... do you think there'll be enough fun to be had if you're way too lazy to make levels? Like just playing other peoples' levels, etc.

I reckon so but I'm still hoping for a lot of integration of some social aspects to it somehow(which we probably won't get).

However I'm not planning to personally get too creative with this - simply because I'm not really - but I'm looking forward to playing the levels other people have made and also getting my mates round to check it out.

On which note I've actually finally gotten round to preordering it just now - apparently £30 at Base but went with the £40 on Ninty store for the T-Shirt...not sure if I really want it or not but thought might as well not miss out on it for a tenner.

Those Mario Paint vibes... :love:

And baby face's HD debut. :grin:

I am hyped to the absolute max. :bouncy:

I thought of you as soon as I saw the music blocks bits - as if you didn't already want this game enough eh!

I don't like the daily unlock thing. They should do a "cheat code" for experienced players.

The music thing looks awesome, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what people can do with those blocks.

Just watched the video - not keen myself but I can see why they're doing it.

Edited by Rummy

There's a thing called the 100-Mario Challenge in the game. In it, it gets 100 random levels from the online pool and has you play them with 100 lives. The further you get, the better you are. You can even unlock Costume Mario skins by doing it :)

There's a thing called the 100-Mario Challenge in the game. In it, it gets 100 random levels from the online pool and has you play them with 100 lives. The further you get, the better you are. You can even unlock Costume Mario skins by doing it :)

That... sounds awesome... :D

Is it definitely 100 levels? I thought it never said but just mentioned 100 lives.

Is it definitely 100 levels? I thought it never said but just mentioned 100 lives.

Valid point. Apologies

Valid point. Apologies

No need to apologise. Still a great idea though. Wonder if you can set times and lives? Leaderboards!!!

That's the one thing missing from this almost perfect game, setting online leaderboards. It would be amazing to create a level and set a criteria for high scores - speed, lives, most coins the fastest etc

GAME have a pre-order bonus now

widget_Super-Mario-Maker.jpg

I still prefer the NUK T-Shirt

No need to apologise. Still a great idea though. Wonder if you can set times and lives? Leaderboards!!!

That's the one thing missing from this almost perfect game, setting online leaderboards. It would be amazing to create a level and set a criteria for high scores - speed, lives, most coins the fastest etc

You can set time and if it autoscrolls (with three stages of speed)

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Look a few posts up....

Ah sorry. I missed that. When I loaded the page it went to Shorty's post. Sorry.

Yeah I don't think it said 100 levels but even just a run of say 10-20 randoms(or even more, if you wanted - hey! make it customisable!) would be good fun for a quick sort of 'hmm I fancy some Mario maker' sort of run. Not necessarily too short, but not necessarily too long either. If they could make some kind of randomised code for the levels/order selected so you could go back at another time or challenge your friends...could be another interesting thing.

Oops. Starting typing my above post a while back but only just posted. Basically I agree! I really want to see something like that in it to keep it going, or try to beat friends etc. but I'm just not sure if it's something they'd think it of use to do.

Edited by Rummy

Yeah I don't think it said 100 levels but even just a run of say 10-20 randoms(or even more, if you wanted - hey! make it customisable!) would be good fun for a quick sort of 'hmm I fancy some Mario maker' sort of run. Not necessarily too short, but not necessarily too long either. If they could make some kind of randomised code for the levels/order selected so you could go back at another time or challenge your friends...could be another interesting thing.

Oops. Starting typing my above post a while back but only just posted. Basically I agree! I really want to see something like that in it to keep it going, or try to beat friends etc. but I'm just not sure if it's something they'd think it of use to do.

There's also a 10-Mario Challenge that has a selection of a few levels that are built into the game :)

There's also a 10-Mario Challenge that has a selection of a few levels that are built into the game :)

Yeah I saw that bit too, but considered that compared to the 100-mario it might be a bit thinner and just a quicker showcase. I suppose it depends really on the levels, and indeed, the lives - what about some of those silly stages that give you lots of them? Will it count in 10/100?

You can set time and if it autoscrolls (with three stages of speed)

Yeah I know, which is utterly brilliant, but I want it tide to online leaderboards :) It would just add that bit extra to really make sure I play this game for the next 15 years!!!

I'm so going for that badge set. They aren't the best pins I've seen, but better than a t-shirt I'd never wear.

I'm tempted to finally put down a preorder on this due to the GAME exclusive pin set, though probably more for the case they come in than the actual badges :heh:

i don't need nintendo to regulate which items i use first like some sort of tutorial i do not like the idea of 9 days to unlock

Edited by Agent Gibbs

They had a demo booth for this game yesterday at Manchester Arndale. I'll take some pictures if it's still there today.

i don't need nintendo to regulate which items i use first like some sort of tutorial i do not like the idea of 9 days to unlock

I'm not keen on the idea myself. It echoes my feelings towards the way the Splatoon content has been handled. I've paid for the game and as such I should have access to all the content on the disc when I see fit, not when a company dictates its the right time.

Yeah what's with Nintendo's recent strategy of treating people like idiots? I don't need to be spoon fed things, and neither do kids, they work stuff out quicker than most adults.

Yeah what's with Nintendo's recent strategy of treating people like idiots? I don't need to be spoon fed things, and neither do kids, they work stuff out quicker than most adults.

I don't think it's treating people like idiots. It's more an attempt to keep games relevant for longer.

I can see why they're doing it here. So many options instantly would turn a lot of people off as they'd not know what to do. A different, non-time related, way of unlocking may have been better but this isn't a massively bad thing and it's not treating people like idiots, it's more giving the game a learning curve that would otherwise not exist in the game.

Funnily enough, other games have things unlock gradually too...it's called progression. You're required to use the previous assets in order to unlock the rest, there's just also a time based element. Simple as that.

Edited by Serebii

Keeping the game relevant for... nine more days?

Well that was more for Splatoon, but yes.