NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

I did a big gaming event, left my wii u in lincln, desperate to get it back and play this and splatoon.... gutted!!!!

Oh, I made my Enter The Cave level easier for a tournament at the event, I think substantially easier - two people completed it all day.... still too hard....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130315

Huzzah!!! Checkpoints at last! :D

With the addition of mid-level checkpoints, users now have the option to add flags to their levels, allowing players to start at the selected point if they lose a life – rather than having to start over at the beginning of the level. Players can choose to edit and re-upload their own levels, or create new levels from scratch using this feature. Shaking an arrow sign item from the course parts palette will allow you to place a checkpoint flag.

Following the update, players can also insert power-ups that are dependent on Mario’s status. For example, by attaching a Super Mushroom to a Fire Flower and placing it inside a block, Mario will receive the Super Mushroom when he is small, and the Fire Flower when he is large.

The software update also introduces Event Courses in the game’s Course World online hub. Event Courses will feature levels from partner creators outside Nintendo. One of the first Event Courses will be “Ship Love,” the winning level from the “hackathon” event that was held at Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park earlier this year. Facebook is the first outside partner in the United States to design a level for Super Mario Maker; employees had the opportunity to design and present their creations to a panel of judges before the winning level was selected.

The level that was featured in the final round of the Omegathon event at this year’s Penny Arcade Expo event will also be available for players to experience shortly after the update goes live. New Event Courses will be added to the listing on an ongoing basis, some of which may even feature new Mystery Mushroom transformations. Additionally, a new Official Makers section in Course World will be added after downloading the update, featuring specially selected courses, including some created by Nintendo.

Edited by Dcubed

Some event courses will give Mystery Mushroom costumes. Guess this is how the CoroCoro, Famitsu and Game Center ones will be given.

Edited by Serebii

Awesome update! :yay:

Hopefully they'll add Star Coins at some point too.

Did they really have to make a more challenging version of Gnat Attack though? It's already pretty damn challenging. :heh:

Welp, I'll have to reupload all my levels.

I've wanted checkpoints for a long time! Context sensitive items are also very much appreciated!

Wonder if that will work for the Propeller Mushroom/Feather/Super Leaf as well?

Did they really have to make a more challenging version of Gnat Attack though? It's already pretty damn challenging. :heh:

Eh, I finished Fly Swatter (I refuse to call it Gnat Attack) on my second attempt. I appreciate the harder version!

It took me well over 50 tries to beat Gnat Attack. When I finally did, I did so with 1 second remaining on the clock.

So... yeah, this'll be hell. :P

Star Coins

Followers' levels to fill the 100 mario challenge

Leaderboards

Notifications on new levels by followers

Search for course names and by item, theme etc

Adding comment NOT favourite them; in fact Favourite different to starring too

Youtube uploads

Friends a section on 'makers'

That'll do :)

Really looking forward to this update, loads of levels where I give up right at the end because it was a chore to get there. Also think a limit set by the designer of how many lives they have (gives some importance to extra levels too then)

Eh, I finished Fly Swatter (I refuse to call it Gnat Attack) on my second attempt. I appreciate the harder version!
Having seen the way you play a few games now, that doesn't really surprise me. :hehe:

We can't all be such pros though. ;)

You ever play it on Mario Paint? It's been a while since I have, but I'm pretty sure it was way easier than the SMM version.

Having seen the way you play a few games now, that doesn't really surprise me. :hehe:

You ever play it on Mario Paint? It's been a while since I have, but I'm pretty sure it was way easier than the SMM version.

Yeah, I aced the Mario Paint ones, but Mario Maker is just evil. I can't tap that fast

Yeah, I'm a bit mad.

Yes, I have played the Mario Paint version, and you're right, it's much easier. But they are kind of different games. MP being more of a bullet hell kind of game and SMM being a touch things quickly kind of game.

Both are great fun though!

EDIT: You know an update is good news when my own mum sees it and goes "Oh, it's about time. I wondered why there were no checkpoints"

You heard it here first. Latest Mario Maker update officially "Approved by Glen-i's mum"

Edited by Glen-i

AVWHQrFap5taU.gif

I read horror stories on Gamefaqs about it and then beat pretty easily. I was left wondering what the issue was? :D

I haven't played this for a few weeks and am not feeling particularly inspired to create at the moment. Hopefully going on to check out the new update will lure me back in when it drops :hehe:

How do you get gnat attack up and running?

When you delete stuff while creating a level, randomly the item you delete turns into three flys. You just have to swat them all and the mini game starts up.

When they mentioned the checkpoints, I was thinking "what's stopping people putting it in a place you can't complete the game from" then it popped up with "you have to complete it from the checkpoint.

How do you get gnat attack up and running?

When you delete stuff while creating a level, randomly the item you delete turns into three flys. You just have to swat them all and the mini game starts up.

Alternatively, you get a muncher, keep shaking it until the three flies appear.

This always works.

That's great news! But I'm still hoping for slopes and more music options to really get me back into the game.