NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

I just watched the World Championships footage and it looks ridiculously fun :grin: The amount of trolling this game will provide is almost certain to be unparalleled :heh:

Online is part of the game. We can just sponge off RedShell and Sprout! :D

Oh thanks! No, I get it. I'm not creative enough for you lot!

I'll have you know one of my WarioWare D.I.Y games won one of those theme challenges Nintendo did!

Also looking forward to some really creative utilisation of mechanics. I'm sure that @RedShell and @Sprout will not disappoint. :)

Right! That's it! You two are on my "Not allowed to play my levels list!"

Edited by Glen-i

Online is part of the game. We can just sponge off RedShell and Sprout! :D

Also looking forward to some really creative utilisation of mechanics. I'm sure that RedShell and Sprout will not disappoint. :)

5f0.png

Not that I don't appreciate the compliments, but the last thing I did with a game's creative elements was a Smash Bros stage, where I took Ine's bird from her Whistle drawing and shoved a cannon up its butt. I don't think I'm as creative as people think I am. =P

I don't think I'm as creative as people think I am. =P

You're probably more creative than @Glen\-i. That dude is just the worst...

:p

Right! That's it! You two are on my "Not allowed to play my levels list!"

Oh :( Don't be salty. I'll gladly try out your levels...

...when @RedShell is dead. God forbid.

This game will be fantastic if the level sharing mechanisms make it easy to find the top levels from the community. Some kind of tagging system to categorise the levels people make perhaps, to separate out the Ikaruga-esque levels from the traditional levels for example. Being able to find the great creations will be crucial.

That stage last night had me howling. Brutal but insane to watch. Like Ninja Warrior SMB style! Can't wait to get stuck into this.

I love the way they trolled the guy with a hammer bros. in a ? block. It's little wonder Nintendo miss their deadlines!

This game will be fantastic if the level sharing mechanisms make it easy to find the top levels from the community. Some kind of tagging system to categorise the levels people make perhaps, to separate out the Ikaruga-esque levels from the traditional levels for example. Being able to find the great creations will be crucial.

True. Similar to LBP would work.

Can someone post this footage because I'm tired and old and lazy.

Super Mario Maker comes with some pre made courses on the disc.

[TWEET]610607476086558720[/TWEET]

I enjoyed watching it at the championships. Im tempted to pick it up but im not creative in the slightest.

Gah! Why did we have to change the thread title! The 'Super' in this really annoys me, as I limit that to the 'Super' series/era and this is spanning all of it! Why can't Nintendo just fuckoff with a prefix for once!!

I enjoyed watching it at the championships. Im tempted to pick it up but im not creative in the slightest.

Yeah I'm kinda the same(and I've messed about with rom mods in the past, and quickly realised I'm lacking) - but I think the game and its content may provide some excellent inspiration and at the very least you can play other people's content. I wonder if there's ways to take and edit levels once you've completed them, so you could add or change things that might spring to mind. Tbh at the very least, if not that creative, it's going to be fun even just making some mild troll levels with/for my friends.

I think this game lends itself nicely to a league potentially.

I'm really hoping that when you get a stage you can see the times your friends completed it in, maybe even the mario form they held at the end... would it be too much to be able to see a replay of them completing the level (unlocked once you have done it yourself, naturally) a bit like nes remix?

but if we had 4 levels a week, say one theme could be open "water" the next week "labyrinth" or "climbing".. "prickly" etc. people opt into the league, and get points based on some criteria, maybe fixed or perhaps changing each week.

I think this game lends itself nicely to a league potentially.

I'm really hoping that when you get a stage you can see the times your friends completed it in, maybe even the mario form they held at the end... would it be too much to be able to see a replay of them completing the level (unlocked once you have done it yourself, naturally) a bit like nes remix?

but if we had 4 levels a week, say one theme could be open "water" the next week "labyrinth" or "climbing".. "prickly" etc. people opt into the league, and get points based on some criteria, maybe fixed or perhaps changing each week.

This is exactly it. The game needs this sort of features for the less creative and to keep people going. Setting up a 4-level challenge for friends/generals and having a leaderboard of it for the week or so would be bloody fantastic - I imagine a lot of people here would be interested in getting involved in it too. The plus side of something like this is it isn't time pressured either - i.e thursday night league every week at 8pm; you can tackle it at your own convenience within the time period!

Gah! Why did we have to change the thread title! The 'Super' in this really annoys me, as I limit that to the 'Super' series/era and this is spanning all of it! Why can't Nintendo just fuckoff with a prefix for once!!

Uhhh...

Super_Mario_Bros._-_Title_Screen.png

Hmmm...

smb3_title.png

Well...

Super%20Mario%20World%20(U).png

Ehhhh...

maxresdefault.jpg

The series has always had the "Super" in it. Even before the SNES. It's your fault if you automatically assume Super = SNES.

The name change is perfectly fine. In fact, it makes a lot more sense.

Then think of it as new Super Mario Bros, new Super Mario Bros 3, new Super Mario World and new New Super Mario Bros U games with infinite levels all in one package.

Uhhh...

Super_Mario_Bros._-_Title_Screen.png

Hmmm...

smb3_title.png

Well...

Super%20Mario%20World%20(U).png

Ehhhh...

maxresdefault.jpg

The series has always had the "Super" in it. Even before the SNES. It's your fault if you automatically assume Super = SNES.

The name change is perfectly fine. In fact, it makes a lot more sense.

I did indeed later realise my folly - I forgot that 1+Lost levels were actually Super for some reason.

Basically - I'm a fucking idiot. (an idiot who still prefers it without the super though).

I'm starting to wonder whether they went a little too far with this. Dunno, the levels are starting to look like a mess with so many options and the amiibo integration is a little silly and unpolished looking. It looked amazing at the NWC but since then I've been having second thoughts. I suppose it's all down to the creator.

I'm starting to wonder whether they went a little too far with this. Dunno, the levels are starting to look like a mess with so many options and the amiibo integration is a little silly and unpolished looking. It looked amazing at the NWC but since then I've been having second thoughts. I suppose it's all down to the creator.

For what it's worth, I'm sure the best designed levels won't go overboard with making things insane.

I don't plan on making my levels mean-spirited at all. Good level design slowly builds up in difficulty.

You have to be able to finish your own level before you can upload it. That will reduce the amount of senseless craziness.

You have to be able to finish your own level before you can upload it. That will reduce the amount of senseless craziness.

It's gonna be much easier to finish a level you've designed yourself though - you know where the traps and pitfalls are already. Just think how mad the NWC levels were but that's because a lot of it was the classic trial-and-error nature of Mario. Not that I'm complaining as that's the whole game, but super hard/stupid troll levels could still be quite prevalent.

I didn't know the creator needs to finish their own level. That's great - even if it's almost impossible you know at least one person's finished it :D

I didn't know the creator needs to finish their own level. That's great - even if it's almost impossible you know at least one person's finished it :D

Yeah it's a thing that's been used before in user-creation stuff to avoid broken/impossible levels.

Anyway - I doubt many if any here have been watching Treehouse but they showed a bit of Mario Maker a little while ago. I was playing Splatoon so only half paying attention but some of the online aspects were shown.

Difficulty - iirc indicated by how many people have played/completed.

Popularity - iirc indicated by downloads? or possible stuff around a level by players(notes, miiverse etc). Sure it was downloads though.

Notes - once completing a level you can post and say something about it - you can actually leave little in-level hints too(which can be turned off by the user, or turned onto a 'TV only' setting; so a player could play on gamepad with them hidden and the TV hints can be seen by people in the room).

There was some other stuff and I kinda wished I wasn't on Splatoon so I could pay a bit more attention, but yeah...there's SOME infrastructure there from what I saw - need to see/know more but those worries of mine have been lessened(albeit only a little bit so far).

They were showing it live too btw - people on the E3 flaw being able to play and create and upload levels and add notes etc.

EDIT: Mario Maker's back on and they're playing through the stages from the NWC with the dudes who made them - then they brought up Miyamoto and Tezuka unexpectedly and they've apparently decided that they were impressed with the design and reaction to the 4 levels from the championship that they'll be included in the final release of the game. Quite a spectacular moment to end the day on!

Just confirmed that the NWC Super Mario Maker levels will be in the game! Can't wait to see if I can get close to finishing them!

Game just keeps getting better. Very pleased with the online features and the fact I can (try and) do a John Numbers hype run on that first NWC level.