NEurope
Hogge

Super Mario Maker

So I read a Swedish gaming page today and they wrote about this.

mario_maker_leak.jpg

Seems like it's a level editor for the original SMB. Perhaps it'll contain filters, like NES Remix. Perhaps it'll support more Mario games than SMB.

What do you think of this?

I tend to take anything pre-e3 with a humongous pinch of salt.

What do you think of this?
I think it needs to happen, that's what I think. :hehe:

Yeah, I'm very much hoping that it's real and more importantly that it's for Wii U, as it'd be a good start for finally making some use of the GamePad.

This is exactly the kind of thing that Nintendo need to get on Wii U, software with an emphasis on user generated content and customisation. ;)

so i could make my own super extended infinite leveled mario game........

I'm okay with this!

This popped up in another thread. The general consensus is "probably fake", as the situation in the photo doesn't seem to make much sense (why is "Mario Maker" alongside SSB? How come the poster was so out in the open, uncovered, a week before the event?).

That said, the concept itself actually sounds like something Nintendo would do, which gives it a lot of credibility.

I like this idea alot, the WiiU needs titles like this! The gamepad is perfect for user generated content!

It's probably fake, but I love little titles like this.

Now hurry up and make Wario Ware: DIY 2

My only complaint is that another 2D type experience is the last thing the Wii U needs.

This screams fake.

Like someone else said, why would it be the only pillar not to have a Smash picture on it. And Smash always utilises 4 characters in its promotion. Thus the 4th has been photoshopped out.

Also the Mario Maker picture is extremely poor. You wouldn't just half the picture as brick at the bottom :p you'd put info, or another screenshot there.

Edited by Retro_Link

Still got a gut feeling this might be real. At any rate, it's definitely far more convincing that the whole print a piece of paper with a list of game titles and have 'NINTENDO -_CONFIDENTIAL " written on it that seems to have become a fad lately.

Coins on top of a cloud doesn't seem very Nintendo + that hand looks really weird. Longest thumb ever?

Also the font is terrible, you'd expect them to use a Mario type font.

And maybe call it Super Mario Maker at least, in reference to the NES game, or given that they aren't shy of bad titles Super Mario Bros. Maker.

Also the font is terrible, you'd expect them to use a Mario type font.

And maybe call it Super Mario Maker at least, in reference to the NES game, or given that they aren't shy of bad titles Super Mario Bros. Maker.

Ahh. Now while I do think it's fake for a whole host of reasons (that @Jonnas helpfully repeated for me :) ), the font isn't one of them... because...

Mario_Paint_-_1992_-_Nintendo.jpg

... It's actually quite a clever throw back to Mario Paint's title screen logo ;)

Still fake though :p

iHmm It's not quite that font though is it? and the words should be joined up :p

Huh? They're not joined up in that photograph... Think it's just the blurry image quality throwing you for a loop there... (another usual trademark of a shopped picture BTW - helps to mask shopping flaws)

Font is probably slightly off, but it's too close to be a coincidence IMO.

I think it needs to happen, that's what I think. :hehe:

Yeah, I'm very much hoping that it's real and more importantly that it's for Wii U, as it'd be a good start for finally making some use of the GamePad.

This is exactly the kind of thing that Nintendo need to get on Wii U, software with an emphasis on user generated content and customisation. ;)

See, while it would be cool, I don't really want it to happen any time soon because I'm sick of seeing Mario platform games getting milked in recent years (we've had 4 in the past 2 years, counting NSLU, for goodness sake!) He needs a good long break for the next few years IMO - even something like this feels like too much...

Edited by Dcubed

I don't think the font is a big problem, the usual Mario writing would look terrible on that 8 bit screen.

Huh? They're not joined up in that photograph... Think it's just the blurry image quality throwing you for a loop there... (another usual trademark of a shopped picture BTW - helps to mask shopping flaws)

Font is probably slightly off, but it's too close to be a coincidence IMO.

No but they are in that title screen you posted. That's my point, it's not much of homage if it's trying to be one.

I don't think the font is a big problem, the usual Mario writing would look terrible on that 8 bit screen.
Yeah that would, but I would have thought they go with a NES font, maybe with 'Maker' in a different newer font.

Super_Mario_Bros._NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

No but they are in that title screen you posted. That's my point, it's not much of homage if it's trying to be one.

Wait... we are looking at the same picture aren't we? The title screen of Mario Paint on SNES?

SNES-Mario-Paint-Title.gif

That is clearly not joined up. I can't see how anyone could think it is! I'm not going crazy am I?

That is clearly not joined up. I can't see how anyone could think it is! I'm not going crazy am I?
There's the same space, if not a bigger gap between the R and the I, as there is between the O and the P, so I'd say the words were joined up...

It is funny how exact that Mario Paint font matches up, hmmmm....

edit: actually no not that exact

There's the same space, if not a bigger gap between the R and the I, as there is between the O and the P, so I'd say the words were joined up...

Ok yeah, the kerning is a bit weird but I would just chalk that down to the SNES' limitations.

I don't think it was intentional... especially if you look at the JPN box art...

front_j.jpg

This thread sure took a weird turn :p

Whenever somebody finds something like, this, why are the pics so low res? :p who's even carrying around a camera this low quality these days?

On the other hand, why would you make up this? It could be real just because it would be such an unlikely, pointless fake.

This thread sure took a weird turn :p
lol yep it did :D

But again, that box art doesn't have a space :p

On the other hand, why would you make up this? It could be real just because it would be such an unlikely, pointless fake.
haha a very good point. This is about as dull as hype trains get! :D

Whenever somebody finds something like, this, why are the pics so low res? :p who's even carrying around a camera this low quality these days?

Rule #1 for making fakes: Go low quality. This hides all the blemishes

Rule #2: Go realistic. Going for the huge megaton is not the way to go, but go for something simple, or established, and people believe it.

haha a very good point. This is about as dull as hype trains get! :D

Speak for yourself.

If this was real. I'd be all over this. I'd take it over another NSMB game any day. (I'm assuming it'd be a lot like Warioware: DIY with Mario levels)