NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Iwata Skipping E3 Due to Health Reasons.

From Polygon.

The president of Nintendo won't be in attendance at E3 next week on the advice of his physician, a Nintendo representative confirmed to Polygon today.

Nintendo of America did not specify why Iwata, 54, was advised not to travel overseas in the immediate future, but said "it is business as usual for Mr. Iwata, and he continues his normal duties as president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. while he remains in Japan."

"As always, he will be actively involved in all of Nintendo's activities at the show," a Nintendo representative said.

I hope the guy is alright and it's not too serious.

Shit... that's not good... Poor guy is killing himself running operations at both NCL and NOA... :(

Explains why we haven't had any Iwata Asks interviews lately either... :(

Edited by Dcubed

Many of the people commenting on this around the net disgust me.

Hope it's not serious and he gets well soon. He's the best person in the industry, in my view.

Edited by Serebii

Could be a lot of stuff at his age, whatever it is I hope it's not serious.

As the "event" is digital anyway, I see little reason for him to be present, if he's ill even more so. Of course, this is Polygon - are there any reliable sources for this information?

As the "event" is digital anyway, I see little reason for him to be present, if he's ill even more so. Of course, this is Polygon - are there any reliable sources for this information?
Last year they had a digital event and yet Reggie and Iwata were there right? To talk to people behind closed doors and present certain things during the week.

Someone on GAF pointed something out.

Look at the MarioKart Direct. Something is up with his left eye and doctors advise not to air travel if you have some eye issues, so that could be it.

But we shouldn't speculate.

Edited by Serebii

Look at the MarioKart Direct. Something is up with his left eye
Pretty sure he's always had that. :blank:

Just hope it's nothing serious. :(

Yeah certainly hope it's nothing serious.

I guess we all see this happy go lucky, bit of a clown type character in directs and stuff, but he must be feeling the strain big time at the moment behind closed doors :(

Last year they had a digital event and yet Reggie and Iwata were there right? To talk to people behind closed doors and present certain things during the week.

Yes, I was talking from a consumer point of view, and assuming he could participate with pre-recorded segments/live from Japan.

I hadn't really considered it from a business point of view, so yeah I see now it's a bit more significant!

Either way, hopefully for him personally he'll recover quickly whatever the cause.

Seriously: Maybe this is why they are focusing on QoL too?

The masters are all getting older. They've had some innings though. Most artists drop the ball. Even The Beatles fell out and lost it...Nintendo operate like a machine!

Seriously: Maybe this is why they are focusing on QoL too?

The masters are all getting older. They've had some innings though. Most artists drop the ball. Even The Beatles fell out and lost it...Nintendo operate like a machine!

Erm, the Beatles never lost it. Even their last album was genius :)

Of course The Beatles never lost it. You have to have something in the first place in order to lose it. :heh:

Referring to Iwata, I'm sure he'll be fine. Quality Of Life indeed.

I meant as individuals and in the long term. ;)

Wishing Iwata a speedy recovery.

Maybe angry fans are likely to pose a health risk? :p

His eye has been funny for ages now.

DUDE, you can't say that kinda thing any more, jeez.

Pretty sure he's always had that. :blank:

Just hope it's nothing serious. :(

His eye has been funny for ages now.

Everytime I see him on a Nintendo Direct it always bugs me and takes me a while to focus elsewhere. I always think of this scene from Wayne's World 2.

Everytime I see him on a Nintendo Direct it always bugs me and takes me a while to focus elsewhere. I always think of this scene from Wayne's World 2.

And of course:

: peace:

Sorry if the eye comment is harsh. It pretty much comes up in conversation between the girlfriend and me every time he hosts a Direct. There's something a bit strange there and it could definitely be linked to this situation. Hopefully it's nothing serious, I really like Iwata.

Man... if he shows up with an eyepatch in the next Direct he might just replace Reggie as the top requested Nintendo staffer to show up in Smash Bros.

Man... if he shows up with an eyepatch in the next Direct he might just replace Reggie as the top requested Nintendo staffer to show up in Smash Bros.

Maybe he could have a reign of tyranny like the Governor in The Walking Dead. Fuck, Iwata giving us his edgier side as he aims to bring Nintendo back to the top.

In all seriousness, I hope the guy is ok and wish him all the best.

What ever is wrong with the man I hope he gets better soon and takes some time to just chill.