NEurope
Retro_Link

Bloodborne

I've just started this.

Tbh, I'm not sure if I like it and am finding it very clunky, so far. It makes group situations a bit tricky as you get overwhelmed too quickly and the weapons don't respond quick enough. I went for the hunter axe and hunter pistol.

I'm hoping it'll click, otherwise I'll need to find something else to play this easter break.

I heard the same about evolve and dying light though and look at those turds! Haha. I will look at picking it up tomorrow though :)

Don't make me slap you. Dying Light is brilliant.

Any tips you guys can give? I'm all out of molitovs, I've been retrying the same area for the last hour and keep dying after getting overwhelmed. Tbh, I can't see this clicking and will trade in if it doesn't.

I've just started this.

Tbh, I'm not sure if I like it and am finding it very clunky, so far. It makes group situations a bit tricky as you get overwhelmed too quickly and the weapons don't respond quick enough. I went for the hunter axe and hunter pistol.

I'm hoping it'll click, otherwise I'll need to find something else to play this easter break.

Reading this made me angry.

This series is unlike anything you've played before, in the best possible way. You are the one who needs mending, not the game. Stop being a wet willy about the whole affair and get stuck in. Revelations await you.

Afterwards you may not even give a shit about the next Zelda.

Don't make me slap you. Dying Light is brilliant.

Dying light is teeeerible! It's a poor man's run and smash. The jump mechanics are badly done and the lack of having to fight anything makes the game feel pointless... I thought it was baaaaaad. So much potential!

Flink, if you want rid of bloodborne fancy a straight swap for Dragonball?!

Any tips you guys can give? I'm all out of molitovs, I've been retrying the same area for the last hour and keep dying after getting overwhelmed. Tbh, I can't see this clicking and will trade in if it doesn't.

It's early days but maybe the game just isn't for you. I know I haven't played any of the Souls games as I don't think they are my type of games. I was thinking about trying the series with this one but it just seems like more of the same.

How are the loading times @Fierce_LiNk? I've heard they are pretty bad which is another reason why I decided to give it a miss.

I think I'm pretty average at games in general and I haven't found this anger-inducingly hard. Very challenging at times, but oh so rewarding. :)

Patience and perseverance are key. Learning how to fight, how to use the weapon you have, how to deal with all the enemies. This is what's expected of you.

To be honest, you don't seem to like it and don't want to put in the effort that is needed in order to succeed.

Trade it in. You'll be missing out on the best and most rewardig gaming experience you have ever had, though.

Reading this made me angry.

This series is unlike anything you've played before, in the best possible way. You are the one who needs mending, not the game. Stop being a wet willy about the whole affair and get stuck in. Revelations await you.

Afterwards you may not even give a shit about the next Zelda.

Chill owwwwt. ;)

I'm not really hyped for the next Zelda anyway. :D

Dying light is teeeerible! It's a poor man's run and smash. The jump mechanics are badly done and the lack of having to fight anything makes the game feel pointless... I thought it was baaaaaad. So much potential!

Flink, if you want rid of bloodborne fancy a straight swap for Dragonball?!

No way, not a fan of Dragonball, sorry!

It's early days but maybe the game just isn't for you. I know I haven't played any of the Souls games as I don't think they are my type of games. I was thinking about trying the series with this one but it just seems like more of the same.

How are the loading times @Fierce_LiNk? I've heard they are pretty bad which is another reason why I decided to give it a miss.

The loading times are pretty rubbish, aye. Not a fan of the lock-on system either.

I think I'm pretty average at games in general and I haven't found this anger-inducingly hard. Very challenging at times, but oh so rewarding. :)

I may feel different when I do something rewarding in the game, but maybe I'm just too early into it.

Patience and perseverance are key. Learning how to fight, how to use the weapon you have, how to deal with all the enemies. This is what's expected of you.

To be honest, you don't seem to like it and don't want to put in the effort that is needed in order to succeed.

Trade it in. You'll be missing out on the best and most rewardig gaming experience you have ever had, though.

I'll ignore the slightly patronising tone of the post. ;)

So, any real tips, aside from just deal with it. How do I go about getting better weapons, for example?

I'm going to sleep on it and hope that the game clicks within the next few days. I don't normally trade in games and the last one I did was...Pokemon Red, which I traded in for Twisted Edge Snowboarding, which then sucked big donkey balls. This will be the first game in about 10 years. I'd like to think that I can pick up and play anything and everything and I am willing/trying to see the good in this one, but I'm not seeing it yet. So, hulp.

I seem to be in the same ball park as you @Fierce_LiNk with the game. I've never played any of the other Souls games but with all the positive talk of this, I thought I'd pick it up and see what's what but not exactly enthused by what I've played so far :(

And while I love the combat (they have nailed the feel of it in how you need to learn and watch for enemy attack patterns, counter/parry and then strike but not be too greedy), there's just something putting me off.

I've spent the last hour trying to get past an orge thing on the bridge (which I presume is close-ish to the first boss for those that have gone that far) but seem to be having zero luck no matter how patient I am with dodging and attacking. I'll keep at it in the hope of getting passed this part and seeing more but it's disheartening to follow the advice of be cautious and not get anywhere but that may still be me not grasping the complexities and intricacies of the gameplay fully. Here's hoping that with a little more time, it can all click.

Will say though, the frame rate has been shocking so far at times for me. I mean, really bad in some cases slowing to a crawl :shakehead And the load times are horrendous. That's just poor optimization of the hardware from the developers there. At least that one is likely to get a patch, hopefully sooner rather than later. And while the game is visually striking, it's all looking a bit lo-fi/last gen, particularly the character models. Don't think my character model has looked as bad as it does in this in terms of face since the days of Oblivion :blank:

So yeah, a bit meh at the moment but I will persevere and try and get to grips with the game and make some progress beyond opening shortcuts.

I'll ignore the slightly patronising tone of the post. ;)

I apologize. That was not my intention. Somehow I often tend to write in that manner when I try to give advice. Need to work on it.

How do I go about getting better weapons, for example?

You don't, basically. You can buy/find different weapons but they aren't necessarily better. They change the way you have to fight.

Upgrading weapons is where it's at. However this is something you should try to figure out for yourself when you get the chance to do so.

This is Bloodborne (or the Souls games) in a nutshell: Go forth and discover. :D

And if this is really not the thing you like to do...then this game is simply not for you. (rhyme not intentional)

There is actually nothing more for us to say. If we tell you more we will spoil everything. And I believe that this isn't the way to play games :)

Trade it in for Dark Souls..................oh wait!

82b557117582c9a4f9dd5a5adff0bc3e548deddbd2f5aeb77fded6b3174b8718.jpg

5b1.jpg

dark-souls-boss-meme-generator-dark-souls-cuz-fuck-casual-gaming-d666c5.jpg

I had my tea and watched the Nintendo Direct before plunging back into this. I've figured out how the leveling system works now and, after about 4 hours of non-stop play, I'm up to level 18, I believe. I've defeated Cleric Beast and have now purchased the Kirkhammer, a weapon more suited to my taste.

That boss battle...whoever thought it would be a good idea to do that on a bridge is off their rocker. It was a pain in the arse trying to lock-on and go around the creature without the camera spinning out of control or you having your view blocked by the bridge walls. Nevertheless, I did it and I'm starting to feel my way into the game now.

Wait cleric beast is the first boss? No wonder I can't beat father Xmas. How did I get to him first, so many answers!

I seem to be in the same ball park as you @Fierce_LiNk

I've spent the last hour trying to get past an orge thing on the bridge (which I presume is close-ish to the first boss for those that have gone that far) but seem to be having zero luck no matter how patient I am with dodging and attacking. I'll keep at it in the hope of getting passed this part and seeing more but it's disheartening to follow the advice of be cautious and not get anywhere but that may still be me not grasping the complexities and intricacies of the gameplay fully. Here's hoping that with a little more time, it can all click.

If you time his attack right with your pistol he will fall to his knees, go up to him and attack him with R1 and you will do some super attack that will cause massive damage. (You may already know this)

Edited by James

I did the same thing SC, unintentionally skipped the Cleric Beast and thought Gazza was the first boss. To be honest the real first boss is not hard to find, if you did the same as me you just ignored an entire path because you spotted a shortcut and continued that way instead. Unfortunately from what I can tell that actually makes you skip a bit of story/NPC interaction which is a shame. Oh well, I'll get it right on NG+!

I've figured out how the leveling system works now and, after about 4 hours of non-stop play, I'm up to level 18, I believe. I've defeated Cleric Beast and have now purchased the Kirkhammer, a weapon more suited to my taste.

YES, that's how it's done :)

It was a pain in the arse trying to lock-on and go around the creature without the camera spinning out of control or you having your view blocked by the bridge walls.

Agree, that's why I didn't lock on after my first death. Worked like a charm.

Nevertheless, I did it and I'm starting to feel my way into the game now.

Hopefully it won't stop here : peace:

If you time his attack right with your pistol he will fall to his knees, go up to him and attack him with R1 and you will do some super attack that will cause massive damage. (You may already know this)

Ah, think I stumbled across this last night inadvertently as I caused him to stumble a few times and finally made it passed him. Think I was being a bit too button mashy at times trying to dodge his repeat thrust attack and so was getting mauled. Thankfully, a bit more of a tactical approach and some patience helped me get through it. That and kiting him over to the stairs area where half way down is his boundary so he walks back to where he originally is so a few cheap shots there in the back helped :grin:

Had an attempt at the first boss, after the first death attempt on him that unlocks the doll at the Hunter's Dream, and got him down to half health which wasn't too bad but definitely needing to level up a bit more before I can seriously contend with it. So gonna be grinding some Blood Echoes later and hopefully get some levels on it and take it down second time around.

Did a little bit of exploring and found a lift which I can't yet operate, and this is also how I found out I could kite the ogres to the stairs area at the boundary of their walking zone and take them out, so slowly but surely getting to grips with things and enjoying it more bit by bit. Hopefully, this evening's play time should push me over the edge to the "enjoying it" category, though the drive to beat that boss certainly has already hooked me.

YES, that's how it's done :)

Agree, that's why I didn't lock on after my first death. Worked like a charm.

Hopefully it won't stop here : peace:

I've tried not locking on but I'm not sure if I prefer that yet. May take some getting used to.

Ah, think I stumbled across this last night inadvertently as I caused him to stumble a few times and finally made it passed him. Think I was being a bit too button mashy at times trying to dodge his repeat thrust attack and so was getting mauled. Thankfully, a bit more of a tactical approach and some patience helped me get through it. That and kiting him over to the stairs area where half way down is his boundary so he walks back to where he originally is so a few cheap shots there in the back helped :grin:

Had an attempt at the first boss, after the first death attempt on him that unlocks the doll at the Hunter's Dream, and got him down to half health which wasn't too bad but definitely needing to level up a bit more before I can seriously contend with it. So gonna be grinding some Blood Echoes later and hopefully get some levels on it and take it down second time around.

Did a little bit of exploring and found a lift which I can't yet operate, and this is also how I found out I could kite the ogres to the stairs area at the boundary of their walking zone and take them out, so slowly but surely getting to grips with things and enjoying it more bit by bit. Hopefully, this evening's play time should push me over the edge to the "enjoying it" category, though the drive to beat that boss certainly has already hooked me.

I've started enjoying this more now that I realise that you don't have to kill absolutely everything in sight. I've run through a few bits here and there and avoided getting into a fight and may do this when learning about future areas. It is starting to grow on me and I think it'll get better as you get better weapons and stuff. I didn't like Shadow of Mordor at the start but that completely won me around in the end, so I'm trying to be a bit more positive now.

Found this:

qTP13Af.jpg

Holy shit, I continuously got lost in the Forbidden Woods for at least an hour. Found amazing runes, levelled up to 65, found a way back to a certain place, found a key item there which later got me to another area (which I suppose isn't necessary to advance the plot).

Will explore this new area tomorrow.

I still haven't found the boss in the Forbidden Woods, though :laughing:

Finished it this morning after finding all the umbilical cords. Fuck me the bosses on NG+ have a lot of health. I've got Ludwig's Holy Blade fully upgraded with my skill stat on 50 and my strength stat on 43, and a heavy swing takes off maybe 1/80th of Vicar Amelia's health.

I finally made it to the woods. I haven't gotten too lost and already opened a shortcut back to the lamp.

There's some weird shit in those woods.

Don't talk too much about later in the game stuff without spoiler tags please people :)

Progress has finally been made, as after an hour of playing I finally managed to take down the first boss! :yay: Felt so good finally taking it down after a near try earlier this evening but it finally fell after taking a more cautious approach and some strategic dodging round a particular side of the boss :grin:

Getting over that hurdle and making progress has squarely put me in the camp of "enjoying it so far" now. Can already feel the desire to delve in further and see what comes next. Did a little more exploring in a sewer area and unlocked another short cut to make back travel easier and have managed to get myself up to level 18 as well but that's that for a night. Will pick up early next week when I next get enough time to plow into it, although I know it's going to be eating away at me as I start to wonder what comes next.

Have got the opportunity to get the Kirkton weapon, thoughts anyone on whether it's worthwhile changing from the Switchaxe thing to that? Have fortified my axe 2 times now (think that's right, either that or 3 I can't remember exactly). Does it change the attack style much, as I do love the switch combo on the axe.