NEurope
Retro_Link

Bloodborne

If you go exploring in the sewer's you can find a "Madman's Knowledge" - using that will give you one insight and able you to level up before you even find the first boss.

Edited by somme

you been 'captured' yet?

;)

Tonitrus awaits!

Aha. This happened and...well, it was unexpected :laughing:

Found the weapon.

the boss...fucking lightning beast. I was not prepared.

Will give it another go, though: peace:

Edit: Done! Not particularly difficult but quite a long fight for me...

Edited by drahkon

Seems I've followed suit, I'm completely lost in the Forbidden Woods, I'll keep exploring though.

I haven't even made it to any woods yet. I've defeated the third boss and keep finding new alleyways and whole sections of the city to wander about in. I also got killed by some ugly thing and sent to another place to respawn. That was frightening. I then stumbled upon some sort of lightening boss and died, quickly.

I'm absolutely loving the game though. Having never played any other games in the series, and having just played on Nintendo platforms or Blizzard PC games for the last decade or so this is a great change. And it definitely harks back to the NES-hard era!

Sooooooo....

Finished the first Chalice Dungeon. Did it co-op style with a mate.

It took some time to understand the co-op mechanics but when it worked it was a fucking blast. Seriously, it was so god damn good. Best game.

1. Create a chalice dungeon (if it's a "non-root-dungeon" the other player must have created this dungeon, too)
  2. Share it (either closed or open - if you go for "open" and don't want others to join remember to set a network password)
  3. Give the Chalice Glyph to your mate
  4. Mate creates a new Chalice Dungeon using that Glyph
  5. Both enter the Dungeon; choose a place where you both stand (best use a lamp)
  6. One uses the Beckoning Bell, the other uses the Resonant Bell (we found that it takes a while when summoning for the first time; we assumed it was because the other player had to "download" the dungeon data)
  7. Have fun

All the Bloodborne rules aplly

• if your coop mate dies he's gone...you're alone...have to summon again
  • if you defeat a boss your coop partner returns to his world with a reward
  • progress is only saved for the one who summons. This is important! (my mate and I "switched roles" after each boss; i.e.: after a boss we returned to the previous lamp, the other one summoned and we progressed to the boss

This is what my mate and I found out ourselves.

We decided to look up some stuff afterwards and it seems we were right with a lot of things.

Most importantly: Distance is key when summoning. If you stand in the same spot (as mentioned before: best to choose a lamp and both just stand beside it) the summoning works quite well.

Having a complicated Network Password seems to help, too.

There is supposed to be another method to do co-op but I don't know what exactly this is. It has to do with the Makeshift Altar and an item you get in one of the later Chalice Dungeons.

16 hours in, level 56, beat 5 bosses so far, leveled my Axe and Tonitrus to +6 and it's time to move on with the story...or do some more Chalice Dungeons :laughing:

I uploaded 15 minutes of my first hour with the game. Forgive the noob tier gameplay, tis my first souls like game after all

Great game. I died about 5 times before that video and luckily managed to stay alive after that despite being shite lol.

Forgive the noob tier gameplay, tis my first souls like game after all

Everyone's a noob at their first Souls game. Well, everyone's a noob at the first try at any Souls game no matter how many you've already played :laughing:

Glad you're enjoying it. It only gets better and better.

I'm not enjoying this and currently going to bed in a bad mood because of it.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the combat alot especially the parry system which is pretty satisfying. But what I hate/don't understand is the save system. I'm coming up to the first boss battle and having killed a load of enemies in getting there, I die. Then I have to start all the way back from the last check point thingy bob. I mean, what the hell is up with that?! I'm just having to repeat 20-30 mins of killing the same enemies again and trying to reach the boss.

Am I missing something? Some sort of short cut I haven't unlocked? Because if all this back tracking is required, the game isn't for me. Which is a shame.

I'm just having to repeat 20-30 mins of killing the same enemies again and trying to reach the boss.

Am I missing something? Some sort of short cut I haven't unlocked?

20 minutes of backtracking is way too much. There must be a short cut you've missed.

So far I've had to backtrack 4-5 minutes MAX to each boss I've encountered. And for the most part you simply just run pass all the enemies if their echoes aren't worth it.

Yeah 20-30 minutes to get back to a boss is too long. Five minutes is also the most I've ever taken so you've missed a shortcut or two.

And if you're having major problems with a boss just use the beckoning bell and get some help.

Patch is out in he US.

Official patch notes:

Fixes the issue of not being able to obtain the "Lunarium Key" once the user partakes in online multiplayer as a co-operative guest by using the "Small Resonant Bell" or as a hostile guest buy using the "Sinister Resonant Bell" in the area, "Forbidden Woods."

Bug fixes

There is no indication what bugs specifically were fixed, however reports indicate the dupe glitch is now patched.

Source - Reddit post

This is NOT the promised "loading time patch".

Loading is only about 20-25 secs for me upon death (although I have a hybrid drive), so I'm not too bothered.

I'm going to miss playing this over the extended weekend due to visiting family for Easter!

Patch is out for Europe, too : peace:

Entered the Forbidden Woods and progressed quite a lot (I think). I need to find that shortcut to the Lamp...hope I haven't already missed it :blank:

Edit: Found it. Phew :D

Edited by drahkon

Looking at the gameplay video which @bryanee posted has only further confirmed what I already knew, the game looks good but it's not something I should be buying right now.

When it's around £20 and has hopefully been patched a few times? Probably then. : peace:

I never finished the first Dark Souls game when I originally purchased it so I haven't bought another game for full price from the same developer since.

It does look good though and I'm glad that so many of you are enjoying it but I definitely agree with @Babooo as it sounds like the game has definite pacing and saving issues.

It does look good though and I'm glad that so many of you are enjoying it but I definitely agree with @Babooo as it sounds like the game has definite pacing and saving issues.

It doesn't. It is purposely designed that way. If you don't like you should rather spend your money on something else.

This will never be patched, and it is in no way in need of a patch.

It doesn't. It is purposely designed that way. If you don't like you should rather spend your money on something else.

This will never be patched, and it is in no way in need of a patch.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the combat alot especially the parry system which is pretty satisfying. But what I hate/don't understand is the save system. I'm coming up to the first boss battle and having killed a load of enemies in getting there, I die. Then I have to start all the way back from the last check point thingy bob. I mean, what the hell is up with that?! I'm just having to repeat 20-30 mins of killing the same enemies again and trying to reach the boss.

So the game is purposely designed so that it has insufficient checkpoints? :wtf:

I don't mind games being challenging but to me the idea of spending around half an hour just to get back to the point before the boss doesn't sound fun at all, why not have a checkpoint or allow saving at the nearest 'safe' point before the boss rather than making the player endure the same repetitive battles?

There must be something I just don't 'get' about the game because I really do want to like it but from some impressions so far and previous experience with Dark Souls I think it will probably be better to wait until the hype dies down and the game becomes cheaper, then it won't feel so bad if I end up not liking the game that much. ::shrug:

I really do want to like the game though, I just get the feeling that I may be misunderstanding it. : peace:

It doesn't take half an hour to get back to the boss if you've explored and opened up shortcuts.

Although I'm nowhere near finished I've found the checkpoints are right where they should be - making the game challenging but not impossibly unforgiving.

So the game is purposely designed so that it has insufficient checkpoints? :wtf:

You have to find the shortcuts. Luckily I knew this before hand so before even going for the first boss all I did was explore until I found the shortcut to the locked gate which was next to the respawn point.

Is it hard? Yeah. Is it unfair? Nah. You will die before finding the shortcut but luckily you learn where the enemies are, you get better at the combat and you make short work of the areas you have already been through.

I died a whole bunch before finding the shortcut but boy when I found it I let out a huge sigh of relief in a good way, its been a while since I've actually felt rewarded for hard work and patience in a video game without actually getting a reward lol.

I do keep forgetting to use my gun.

Of course! Superfluous checkpoints make games easy. If you can checkpoint every 2 minutes then it means you only need a very low skill level to get through the game. So long as you can get some parts right some of the time, you can pretty much breeze through games. With this, you need to be consistently skilful for prolonged periods in order to get to a boss and take it down.

Dark Souls 2 had far more bonfires everywhere and was quite a bit easier for it; you never lost too much and there wasn't as much risk. Quite often there'd be a hidden bonfire too, right before a boss. Combined with it being very easy to summon other players, it felt quite cheap in comparison.

Here it's more like you've got to work for your checkpoint - you have to get past some tough enemies to unlock a shortcut, which considerably reduces the time to get back to a boss, but then you still have to go through some enemies on the way so it's not a total doddle.

Sooo should I pick this up? The only game I'm playing atm is FIFA!

Yes. Best game on PS4.

I heard the same about evolve and dying light though and look at those turds! Haha. I will look at picking it up tomorrow though :)

I heard the same about evolve and dying light though and look at those turds! Haha. I will look at picking it up tomorrow though :)

The difference here is that that by all accounts that game seems to have been a hunk of shite, whereas both friend and critic alike will tell you what an awesome game this is. ;)

Fair enough, you all make good points... I'll consider picking it up sometime this month perhaps. : peace: