NEurope
Retro_Link

Bloodborne

Any advice for a fellow hunter. Paarl just fed me my spine.

Equip Dissipating Lake Rune if you have it, bolt damage reduction.

Equip High bolt damage armor, Henriks set is good if you have it.

For the fight, try to get under him if you can and attack the back legs, this will eventually stun him allowing you to get some big hits in, rinse and repeat.

If you see him charging a bolt attack, get out and give him some distance.

Any advice for a fellow hunter. Paarl just fed me my spine.

His swipe attacks are annoying as fuck until you realise you can just stay underneath him, hit his hind legs until he falls over, and hammer away at him until he gets back up again. You want to watch out for the electric area of effect attack he does while you're underneath him, but other than that he's easy to manage once you close the gap to stop him pawing at you like a tabby at a laser dot.

I want to love the game, the atmosphere is fantastic and it really keeps you on edge. I just can't get anywhere, made it to the werewolf bridge, snuck underneath but fell into the rats and got raped. Ugh. So tempted to trade it in, I guess I'm just a "casual" gamer now :(

Mate, you are so unbelievably close. I've just taken some screen shots and am going to show you what you need to do as this first part is quite tricky, especially for newcomers, as I found.

I'll spoiler tag them.

Bloodborne_20150406115115.jpg

That lamp is where you start off in this area. You can see two gates. What you want to do is be able to open the gate on the left, which I will show you how to do. Take the route on the right, which will take you to this area...

Bloodborne_20150406115130.jpg

Defeat this fucker and look to your left as there is a gap.

Bloodborne_20150406115139.jpg

Jump down this gap.

Bloodborne_20150406115154.jpg

Kill the enemy and you'll see the staircase in front of you to your right. My advice...RUN through this section and get to the big bonfire.

Bloodborne_20150406115201.jpg

RUN

Bloodborne_20150406115209.jpg

RUN

Bloodborne_20150406115215.jpg

Too many enemies for you to take on and you will either die, waste a lot of vials at this early stage or lose a shit load of health and be weaker for later. I'd leg it. To your left is a staircase that sort of double-backs on itself.

Bloodborne_20150406115225.jpg

Keep running.

Until you get to the...

Bloodborne_20150406115247.jpg

Now you can take a breather for a second. You may have lost a bit of health, so use a vial for that.

Go around the fountain and you'll see a staircase.

Bloodborne_20150406115257.jpg

It's followed by another soon after...

Bloodborne_20150406115309.jpg

Bloodborne_20150406115317.jpg

You'll see three dogs and about three or four other enemies, one with a ranged weapon. I'd back off down the stairs and let the dog/s come to you first. Kill them. Kill the dogs, retreat. Then, pick off the enemies one by one and slaughter them. Orrr....

Bloodborne_20150406115417.jpg

To your right in that area is another staircase which takes you to the bridge. Take it.

Bloodborne_20150406115429.jpg

The wolves are there. Now...RUN. RUN past them and you'll find another staircase that takes you down to where you want to be...

Bloodborne_20150406115444.jpg

That's the staircase. Either kill the enemy or roll past him and make your way down there. Immediately turn right when you enter the building and go down the next staircase.

Bloodborne_20150406115454.jpg

Be careful before climbing down the staircase because there are two enemies on the top floor and a further two on the bottom floor.

Bloodborne_20150406115500.jpg

At the bottom of the case take a turn to your left. There's a doorway. See that? Go for it.

Bloodborne_20150406115629.jpg

There's an enemy at the top of the stairs. Kill him.

Bloodborne_20150406115639.jpg

Take the next staircase and...open the gate.

Bloodborne_20150406115652.jpg

SUCCESS. You made it. You are now...back where you started. But, you've opened up the shortcut which will save you a LOT of time and energy.

Go back through the gate.

Bloodborne_20150406115706.jpg

Down the two flights of stairs and enter the house.

Bloodborne_20150406115938.jpg

Explore the house for goodies and kill the enemies.

Go up the stairs and go back up the stairs which take you to the bridge.

Bloodborne_20150406115951.jpg

To the right is where the wolves are. To the left...

Bloodborne_20150406115957.jpg

There is a brick brute. RUN past that and go through that massive doorway you see. You are at the first boss. See how quick is it now because of the short cut?

I hope this has been helpful, @Esequiel.

I took these screen shots myself just now. I also did it with all of the enemies chasing me, which actually looks rather cool.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Yeah, finding those shortcuts is the key to real progress imo.

It is. It also makes the exploration really fun as you can keep progressing in the hope that sooner or later you'll be able to find a quick way back.

Haven't played this as I'm away but I was struggling to beat the blood starved beast. Pain in the arse to beat... Anyone have any strategies?

Haven't played this as I'm away but I was struggling to beat the blood starved beast. Pain in the arse to beat... Anyone have any strategies?

Few tips to help:

1. There's an NPC you can talk to who will offer his help to you. Use the beckoning bell exactly on top of the message with no author just before the fog to the bloodstarved beast. He attracts quite a bit of attention.

2. Clever tip - Throw pungent blood cocktails to distract it for like 10 seconds. It's a blood starved beast!

3. Use a blunderbuss to stun it mid attack to follow up with a visceral attack.

4. Stock up on antidotes and definitely equip poison resistant gear.

I used the beckoning bell for the blood starved beat. Hatred him. Always got him close to death and then died myself.

Killed Paarl. Wasn't too hard in the end.

Rom on the other hand...

Think I'll leave him for now and explore the university/library place.

I used the beckoning bell for the blood starved beat. Hatred him. Always got him close to death and then died myself.

Killed Paarl. Wasn't too hard in the end.

Rom on the other hand...

Think I'll leave him for now and explore the university/library place.

Took me four tries to kill Rom, kept going straight for him for the first few tries, and then figured I'd try killing all the little spiders first, which ended up working in my favour, since Rom himself is way too slow to actually hit you once you're free of all the other distractions.

Really good article about Bloodborne and the Souls series' aesthetic choices.

Just beat :

Micolash, pretty straight forward boss if a little time consuming but the Nightmare of Mensis area leading up to it I found pretty tough going at times, especially at the beginning of the area, glad to be out of there to be honest.

Fuck yooou, Blood Starved Beast. Ruined you. Only took me three attempts, which isn't that bad going. I had tons of blood vials left and used two just getting to the fight, so it was comfortable in the end.

Cheers @Fierce_LiNk, that's helped me quite a bit as well. Also, i found to not loiter at the stairs too long otherwise a troll will attack.

Cheers @Fierce_LiNk, that's helped me quite a bit as well. Also, i found to not loiter at the stairs too long otherwise a troll will attack.

Glad it helped!

I've had a little playthrough.

I killed Blood Starved Beast and went back to Cathedral Ward. I saw that the door that was previously locked was open, so used the elevator to go up. Killed everything in my path after crossing the bridge and climbing the tower - The Healing Church Workshop. The door at the top was locked so I made my way right down to the bottom after the shitty platforming section with the beams. Killed the demon...thing at the bottom and open the door. I got killed by a snatcher and woke up in a cell, lit the lamp on the top floor, which is named as Hypogean Gaol, I believe.

I made decent progress. Think I was heading the right way, so I'm going to go back to Cathedral Ward and make my way to the area I was before I got snatched.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Glad it helped!

I've had a little playthrough.

I killed Blood Starved Beast and went back to Cathedral Ward. I saw that the door that was previously locked was open, so used the elevator to go up. Killed everything in my path after crossing the bridge and climbing the tower - The Healing Church Workshop. The door at the top was locked so I made my way right down to the bottom after the shitty platforming section with the beams. Killed the demon...thing at the bottom and open the door. I got killed by a snatcher and woke up in a cell, lit the lamp on the top floor, which is named as Hypogean Gaol, I believe.

I made decent progress. Think I was heading the right way, so I'm going to go back to Cathedral Ward and make my way to the area I was before I got snatched.

Pay attention as you go up it...

Played a little bit last night after a couple of days away from it and managed to unlock the elevator just passed the 2 ogres near the first lamp and made my way to Father Gascoigne. And that's where my travels ended, several times last night :(

First attempt at him, I got him down to just under a third of his health left but those who've beat him might understand why I couldn't finish him off. Tried a couple more times after that but kept getting beat at roughly the same point in that fight as no matter how or when I dodged/shot at him to stun him as he attacked, I couldn't stop him from landing repeat hits.

The gravestones in that area don't help either as there were a few times where I got hit and slid a little along the floor only to get stuck in them and not be able to move :mad: I get it's all about managing not only the enemy your fighting but keeping an eye on the environment so you don't get cornered or what not but when things like that happen, where I'm literally stuck in the gravestones several times across 2 or 3 attempts and unable to move, it's hard not to get disheartened and turn off.

I'll have another go later this evening and hopefully get it down pat but I really can't be bothered grinding for blood echoes to level up a bit more if I can't. Fingers crossed that I can otherwise I do see myself shelving it for a little bit and putting more time into some of the other games I have sitting waiting to be played/completed (GTA 5, Metro Redux, etc.).

:shakehead

Played a little bit last night after a couple of days away from it and managed to unlock the elevator just passed the 2 ogres near the first lamp and made my way to Father Gascoigne. And that's where my travels ended, several times last night :(

First attempt at him, I got him down to just under a third of his health left but those who've beat him might understand why I couldn't finish him off. Tried a couple more times after that but kept getting beat at roughly the same point in that fight as no matter how or when I dodged/shot at him to stun him as he attacked, I couldn't stop him from landing repeat hits.

The gravestones in that area don't help either as there were a few times where I got hit and slid a little along the floor only to get stuck in them and not be able to move :mad: I get it's all about managing not only the enemy your fighting but keeping an eye on the environment so you don't get cornered or what not but when things like that happen, where I'm literally stuck in the gravestones several times across 2 or 3 attempts and unable to move, it's hard not to get disheartened and turn off.

I'll have another go later this evening and hopefully get it down pat but I really can't be bothered grinding for blood echoes to level up a bit more if I can't. Fingers crossed that I can otherwise I do see myself shelving it for a little bit and putting more time into some of the other games I have sitting waiting to be played/completed (GTA 5, Metro Redux, etc.).

If you're having a lot of trouble just use the Beckoning Bell and get some help so you can move on.

Pay attention as you go up it...

Do you mean the window that you see as you go up on the lift. Can you jump out or something? I did notice that.

Use the gravestones to your advantage. I used them to put space between us and healed up that way. You can also launch a few cocktails from here, too. The noticeable thing about his last stage is that he gets quicker. I tried to keep rolling behind him and launch my attacks that way. Once you figure out his movements, it does get easier. I do admit that it took me quite a few tries until I managed to do him, but it can be done. I'm shit at boss fights and I succeeded, so there's hope for everyone. :D

Do you mean the window that you see as you go up on the lift. Can you jump out or something? I did notice that.

;).................

I started again, as i thought the axe was a bit slow in attacking. Moved onto the first weapon, and seemingly having more luck than before.

made my way to Father Gascoigne. And that's where my travels ended, several times last night :(

:shakehead

If you're having a lot of trouble just use the Beckoning Bell and get some help so you can move on.

Use the music box.

Some good advice there.

Here's a helpful video I posted last week.

Heres Father "Gazza" Gascoigne getting his arse handed to him.

Gazza would have been easy if not for that final bit. Had to get the guy stuck near the back to finish him off after about 10 or more attempts

Edit: forgot to mention that the music box failed to work on several occasions which got me killed as well as the riposte attacks.

True definition of high risk but high reward

Gazza would have been easy if not for that final bit. Had to get the guy stuck near the back to finish him off after about 10 or more attempts

Edit: forgot to mention that the music box failed to work on several occasions which got me killed as well as the riposte attacks.

True definition of high risk but high reward

I don't think the music box worked for me either. I went into the fight confident that the box would make it a doddle, and it seemingly failed. Paniiiic. I managed to get through it, somehow.