NEurope
Retro_Link

Bloodborne

:bowdown:

I know it's apparently quite difficult, like Dark Souls (which I haven't played yet) but will it be frustratingly difficult, do you reckon? Will I end up smashing my face against the wall?

Quite difficult?

Hmmm I'd brace yourself.....

55d70e634e6a9c2ab89b289c50f172b020da5e6166956a547575c3be16206b06.jpg

I know it's apparently quite difficult, like Dark Souls (which I haven't played yet) but will it be frustratingly difficult, do you reckon? Will I end up smashing my face against the wall?

Dark Souls was very difficult, but rarely frustrating. You always felt that you failed because of your own mistake, and that you'd do it better next time. Not always the case, especially early on, but for the most part it was never unfair or artificially difficult, which I think is what leads to frustration.

I found the Souls games to be very much about patience, if you're willing to learn you're enemies/bosses attack patterns and movements you'll progress through the game fine, you'll still die but every death will teach you something for when you face them the next time. However, If you try to hack and slash your way through a Souls game you'll have a very bad time indeed and will die a lot which will definitely lead to frustration.

Edited by Map

I don't know about this, I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm pretty much done with 50+ hour games for the time being. I felt compelled to finish Dark Souls, but I kind of hated myself when I did. No other game I can think of prizes itself on wasting your time so much as Dark Souls, and it's wilfully obtuse in the way it relates information. There's, for example, no explanation of how weapon/stat scaling works in this game. Only part of the game consists of the actual playing of it, but most of it is reading through online Wikis, because frequently what impedes your progress apart from punitive checkpointing and the generally pervasive trollfaced tomfuckery, is some ancillary piece of information that the game forgot to give you, but that's key to progress.

Disagree with the people above who say it isn't frustrating. When you've been killed by a boss for the tenth time and then spend ten minutes trekking back from the last bonfire, it makes you want to smash something.

Edited by The Bard

I don't know about this, I'll probably get it eventually, but I'm pretty much done with 50+ hour games for the time being. I felt compelled to finish Dark Souls, but I kind of hated myself when I did. No other game I can think of prizes itself on wasting your time so much as Dark Souls, and it's wilfully obtuse in the way it relates information. There's, for example, no explanation of how weapon/stat scaling works in this game. Only part of the game consists of the actual playing of it, but most of it is reading through online Wikis, because frequently what impedes your progress apart from punitive checkpointing and the generally pervasive trollfaced tomfuckery, is some ancillary piece of information that the game forgot to give you, but that's key to progress.

Disagree with the people above who say it isn't frustrating. When you've been killed by a boss for the tenth time and then spend ten minutes trekking back from the last bonfire, it makes you want to smash something.

See, this is what puts me off and I imagine it can be very frustrating.

I don't really like terribly difficult games for the sake of being difficult. I found Alien Isolation difficult in places on hard mode but it was still enjoyable. Is this the same?

I only played Demon Souls. I didn't find it hard. I'd describe it as majestically stern.

I only played Demon Souls. I didn't find it hard. I'd describe it as majestically stern.

I've never played Demon's Souls but yeah I'd agree with that as a more charitable interpretation that would apply to Dark Souls as well. It's incredibly cold and austere, and I kind of love that about it. What I hate is that there were character builds and path progressions that were almost completely untenable for a first time player, but the game made no effort to relate why this was the case. And there's no ability to reason these things out either, you just have to rely on trial and error. It's a completely different (and much harder) game if you chose a warrior build and put all your level progression into strength and vitality, compared to how it is if you choose a sorcerer build and take the master key as your starting gift.

There were times when I played it though when it completely clicked. My brain is full of tabulations of enemies, their attack patterns, movement animations, as well as when and how to attack them. Paths to bosses and through sections of the game become completely ingrained, through a process of testing out new strategies and and that's where the fun of the game lies for some people. I liked that it was so open ended as well, you could tackle the game in a completely different sequence to someone else.

It's almost scientific empiricism. There's no way you'll get anywhere if you tackle it like any other game, where you expect to have a good chance of beating any new obstacle you come across for the first time. You'll encounter a tough enemy, die, form a hypothesis about why you died or observe something about that enemy's attack patterns, trek back to that enemy, and test out that hypothesis by attacking the enemy in a different way, maybe die again, and repeat the process maybe after levelling your weapon some more. All the while your hands are shaking from either rage or nervousness because you know if you fuck it up again, you'll have to do it again. That's what makes it such a community project, and also why it's almost impossible to play the game without resorting to looking at wikis at some point, where the community's already done the busywork to tabulate the nuances of boss attack patterns, and all the little pieces of information that you would never be able to figure out yourself (and that the game makes no effort to convey), because you're a fucking adult without the wherewithal to approach a fantasy action game with the mindset of a scientist looking over RCT data.

I hate that I won't be able to play Bloodborne for at least a week after its release :(

I mean, there are other nice things that I'll be doing, but I'll be missing all your talk and all the discussions :(

This has to be one of the coolest promotions ever.

In Denmark, due to blood shortages, if you donate blood you get a free copy of Bloodborne.

Just to point out, £10 voucher when you spend £50 isn't the same as £10 off a £50 spend! Still decent though.

See, this is what puts me off and I imagine it can be very frustrating.

I have to reiterate that the games are not frustrating. Not in the typical way anyway. Not like "ugh, why is this bit like this? they made a mistake, it's too hard, I cba to try again". You might get frustrated at yourself. Sometimes. You gotta look at it differently, the Souls series is all about being strict, not giving you anything for nothing. You're never spoon fed any abilities or pointed the way with a big glowing light, it's just you and the game.

Remember the first time you played Resident Evil, and that first zombie took a lot more to go down than you thought it would, and then you didn't have any ammo and you were like "where the fuck is all the ammo"? It's hard like that.

Edited by Shorty

Just to point out, £10 voucher when you spend £50 isn't the same as £10 off a £50 spend! Still decent though.

It is when you're buying Bloodborne, which is the context i was speaking in. :p

I have to reiterate that the games are not frustrating. Not in the typical way anyway. Not like "ugh, why is this bit like this? they made a mistake, it's too hard, I cba to try again". You might get frustrated at yourself. Sometimes. You gotta look at it differently, the Souls series is all about being strict, not giving you anything for nothing. You're never spoon fed any abilities or pointed the way with a big glowing light, it's just you and the game.

Remember the first time you played Resident Evil, and that first zombie took a lot more to go down than you thought it would, and then you didn't have any ammo and you were like "where the fuck is all the ammo"? It's hard like that.

Same as OlliOlli then :)

You make a compelling argument.

Ine has just told me that we have some vouchers for Sainsburys that total around £30...tempted to use them on Bloodborne.

It is when you're buying Bloodborne, which is the context i was speaking in. :p

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you :confused: you can't use this voucher to get Bloodborne for £10 less. Unless of course you buy something else for £50 first.

I think mad dog posted the wrong link. Since it says vouchers must be claimed in 2014....the new deal is you get 50 quid of spend through PayPal. PayPal will then credit your account with a tenner...

Yeah sorry wrong link. Right linky.

I added £50 to my PSN account, but it only costs you £40. So i basically got Bloodborne for £40. Sorry i didn't explain. :p

GameTrailers - 9.6

Between the expansive story, PvP, Chalice Dungeons, the significantly harder new game plus mode, and the countless number of secrets, Bloodborne seems almost limitless. Yet breadth wouldn’t matter if the game wasn’t so captivating. Several moments had us in awe, making us feel things we haven’t felt since the original Dark Souls. Whatever it takes, find a way to join the ranks of the hunters.
Nice!

From what I've read, the game sounds amazing. I will ask for this as a birthday present in a couple of weeks, because I am a tight bastard.

I'm really excited. Got this pre-ordered on PSN. I've read and seen very little about it.

tumblr_inline_n9zyi26c8q1sxbezo.gif

SO EXCITED!!

Haven't read any reviews but I hear that the story is supposed to be big. Sounds awesome. :bowdown:

I still have to wait one week to play it :(

I wasn't going to get it... I already cancelled a pre-order. But... digital version for £40 and I just fitted a new HDD. I cannae stop meself.

Although....

We're having trouble saving this offer right now. Please try again later.

:(

Edited by Shorty