NEurope
Charlie

Urges to buy things you don't need

Does anyone else ever get a really strong urge to buy something that you know you don't really need?

For example, I quite want a Macbook Air right now as I don't have a laptop that is any good and the battery life on the new MBA's is fantastic. I'd also be able to work from home in bed, or at the bar area in the gym.

However, I know I don't really need this item and it wouldn't bring that much value into my life. So much so that dropping £750-900 on it probably wouldn't justify the cost.

The last high cost purchase I made was my Xbox One back in February and I'm getting another urge...

Apart from the obvious "just don't buy it" what else do you do to stop making these high cost impulse purchases? Do you ever treat yourself to a high cost purchase on a whim?

I get huge buyer's remorse, so just remembering back is usually enough to stop me.

Another technique is that I never buy an expensive purchase when i first see something. I spend a day or a few days (depending on the cost/size) thinking it over, and scouting around to find new deals.

Also try looking at other high end equipment (sounds counter-intuitive); if they start to take your fancy then it's clearly just a big, flashy purchase you're after, not the item itself.

And finally remind yourself of what you really want money for. Think of that house deposit, or car, or holiday that you're saving for. That will help put things into perspective.

I actually put serious thought recently into buying a 15" MacBook Pro with a retina display. I don't need one. I don't even like macs. I just want one for developing on Xcode.... I'd need the retina display because anything else is too small (MBA 11-13" screen with no retina, basically a netbook, no thanks).

They cost about £1600 though, so realising that it's about 1% of the cost of a house around here put me off a bit.

I used to do that, and i get serious buyers remorse over things, but i've learnt if i convince myself i'm skint all the time i don't spend money, which works great until i check my bank near the end of the month and realise i can afford something.....

Still my purchases now a days consist of something in a steam sale so blowing £30 never kills me

Notebooks, lots of notebooks. I have more notebooks than I have stuff to write about but if I see a quirky notebook I have to restrain myself to buy it.

And finally remind yourself of what you really want money for. Think of that house deposit, or car, or holiday that you're saving for. That will help put things into perspective.

This is working really well for me at the minute. There's so much stuff I want, but the house deposit is taking priority. I'm saving a God damn fortune on stuff I don't need.

I do keep telling the other half that I need a PS4 though...

Both last Friday and today, I put a PS4 in an online shopping basket and then bottled it at the last minute :p

Both last Friday and today, I put a PS4 in an online shopping basket and then bottled it at the last minute :p

Just buy it and get it over with. We all know you're going to. :P

I tried. Tesco just (within the last 30 mins) took down their £20 voucher so I couldn't do it :p

I would literally text him the moment I had it in my hands.

Edited by Shorty

I don't need a Smartwatch, but I'll probably buy one sometime this year.

I don't need a Smartwatch, but I'll probably buy one sometime this year.

Didn't think I'd use mine much (it was free with the phone), but I'm really starting to like it. If the camera didn't have the mandatory shutter noise, I'd probably use it as my main "snapshot" camera.

It's caused quite a stir at work too. One of our sales people pretty much grabbed it off me and used it to call the customer services department, then went through to show that he was calling from a watch. Someone else also came through to our department to see it after hearing about it. It's a bit embarrassing, but cool none the less.

Didn't think I'd use mine much (it was free with the phone), but I'm really starting to like it. If the camera didn't have the mandatory shutter noise, I'd probably use it as my main "snapshot" camera.

I really don't know how much I would use one. I even set out some ridiculous guidelines that one would have to reach before I would get one: battery lasts 1-2 days (I don't mind charging overnight), round screen (like that's going to happen) with a nice design (it had to look like a watch) and great Android connectivity.

Then came along the announcement of this:

ZO5Sss9.jpg

If Apple's long awaited iWatch looks like the above but has loads of cool features then I would definitely be getting one.

I really don't know how much I would use one. I even set out some ridiculous guidelines that one would have to reach before I would get one: battery lasts 1-2 days (I don't mind charging overnight), round screen (like that's going to happen) with a nice design (it had to look like a watch) and great Android connectivity.

Then came along the announcement of this:

ZO5Sss9.jpg

The Galaxy Gear meets 2 of those criteria (it's obviously not round and nice looks is subjective*). I charge mine every night, but it's normally at about 50% when I put in on charge. As for Android connectivity, there is a way to install Android onto it, full Android apps and connect it to other Android devices. I personally haven't bothered as I only use mine as a text message reader.

That Moto360 is stunning though. I really want one. Ideally with a leather strap. I don't think I could bring myself to actually buy a smart watch though. I like mine, but I don't think it's worth the normal price.

*Plus you can make your own faces for it reasonably easily, so it's down to you to make it look nice.

I had an urge for a few weeks to pick up Kororinpa on the Wii so kept an eye on a few places online until I saw it at an attractive enough price (which turned out to be about £6 :heh:)

Anyway, it arrived and I played it for a bit, only to instantly be aware of why I hadn't been interested in it for the previous 7 years :indeed: I'll probably be moving that on in the near future..

At the minute, though, I'm kinda feeling the urge to get a new phone.. that I don't really need!

I'm constantly wanting to buy a PS4 in spite of the fact I've got one sat in my living room.

Also want some new (decent) headphones but that's becoming more of a need.

I'm trying to put money into holidays (#nevergoingtoownahome)

All the bloody time.

Do I need a KFC right now? No. Do I want one - fuck yes I do.

Do I need that shiny new car that would cost me £300 in re-payments every year? Have a test drove it because I want it so bad, yes.

I barely come through on the things I don't need, because I spend half my life saving for them. By the time I have the money I've moved onto something else that I just don't need.

Remarkable I even make it through the day sometimes! :heh: