NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Right because Nintendo have never lied before. Do really think they sat down a year ago or whenever with a weighing scales and said well we've got 20 simple amiibo coming and 40 intricate amiibo solet's find a balance. What happens for the ones that weren't planned then? Nintendo made sure recently to increase the price of amiibo in Canada didn't they to compensate for it's weakness against the US Dollar though didn't they? amiibo are playing a big part in Nintendo's return to profit. Do you think they're making pennies off each amiibo sold?

You seem to, continually, not understand the difference between lying and changing of business plans. Iwata said they didn't want to go mobile, but they did. Does that mean he was lying? No, it means plans changed. He promised droughts would be over. Was he lying? No, things went wonko.

Lying is when someone is deceitful intentionally. Iwata has not been.

Yes, they do. Skylanders (though they use RFID, instead of NFC) contain Character info AND variation info. So you can use a newer version of an old character in an old game but also in a new game as it's variation. So Spyro is always Spyro, but if you have a Mega Ram Spyro and use it in the latest game it'd be that variation.

Isn't NFC just an extension of RFID or something, though? What's the particular difference between them?

Stop being so tight-arsed. Again, they are FIGURINES first. In-game content second, a bonus if you will. The quality is great.

As has been explained previously and often - Wii has you on his ignore list. Feel free to discuss whatever you want to from the thread content but do it without mentioning/directly quoting him to cause him to get notifications.

Edited by Rummy

As has been explained previously, and numerously - Wii has you on his ignore list. Feel free to discuss whatever you want to from the thread content but do it without mentioning/directly quoting him to cause him to get notifications.

He doesn't have me on ignore he reacts and responds to most of my posts. I'm not being abusive towards him I'm just stating my opinion re amiibo.

Yeah the Toad Amiibo is cool. Would make a great 'paperweight' (although it's prob not heavy enough :p).

Yeah the Toad Amiibo is cool. Would make a great 'paperweight' (although it's prob not heavy enough :p).

Bowser sure is though! :D

Bowser sure is though! :D

Seconded, I love how hefty Bowser feels.

Gives the impression I could really hurt someone by chucking my Smash Bowser at them.

And for the record, I think Smash Bowser looks better than Mario Series Bowser.

Mario and Luigi don't though.

Mine turned up, Boswer and Toad look great, Mario not so much, he's okay, strange tan, but much much prefer the smash one!!

Anyone import the gold Amiibo ? Got one coming for £45

I'm crazy

Painting a Super Mario Bros. Mario amiibo Gold!

And you could do a better job than them. Get some plasticine and cover the base before spray painting to get a more realistic look. That depends on if you just want a gold Mario or to keep it pristine in the box but you could have one for less than half of £45. :)

He doesn't have me on ignore he reacts and responds to most of my posts. I'm not being abusive towards him I'm just stating my opinion re amiibo.

If you quote and mention him he will still receive notifications, hence being unable to ignore you as easily. So, again, as this has been explained to you before numerous times - don't mention or quote him directly. Either that or put him on your own ignore list.

Yes, they do. Skylanders (though they use RFID, instead of NFC) contain Character info AND variation info. So you can use a newer version of an old character in an old game but also in a new game as it's variation. So Spyro is always Spyro, but if you have a Mega Ram Spyro and use it in the latest game it'd be that variation.

You're correct. Appears Gold Mario has got a special perk in Mario Party 10

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/249569-a-look-at-gold-mario-amiibo-s-special-perk-in-mario-party-10

The quality of the Super Mario Bros amiibos is a lot better than the Smash Bros ones. I wonder if it's just because the designs are simpler though. Either way I'm happy with my Peach and Toad!

http://time.com/3747342/nintendo-ceo-satoru-iwata/?xid=tcoshare

Iwata doesn’t see Amiibo as a Skylanders or Disney Infinity clone

“At first glance it may look like we’re a trend follower with amiibo,” says Iwata. “But really what we’re doing is, we have introduced amiibo in a way that is new and where amiibo do things in our games that they can’t do anywhere else. From that perspective, we feel that we are a trendsetter.”

“It’s true that if you go into a retail store, and you see the retail shelves, that from a retail perspective, we’re leveraging the structure that’s in place for how the toys to life category is being sold. That’s a hurdle that’s hard to overcome in terms of differentiation. But in terms of how the amiibo are used in games, we do feel that we are taking the lead in terms of broadening what toys to life can be.”

And the Smash Bros. characters have been toys all along

“What’s interesting about the Smash Bros. games, is that the Smash Bros. games do not represent the Nintendo characters fighting against one another, they actually represent toys of Nintendo characters getting into an imaginary battle amongst themselves,” explains Iwata. “And frankly that has to do with a very serious debate that we had within the company back then, which was, ‘Is it really okay for Nintendo characters to be hitting other Nintendo characters? Is it okay for Mario to be hitting Pikachu?'”

Interesting stuff there.

I'm gonna have to agree with Wii here.

“At first glance it may look like we’re a trend follower with amiibo,” says Iwata. “But really what we’re doing is, we have introduced amiibo in a way that is new and where amiibo do things in our games that they can’t do anywhere else. From that perspective, we feel that we are a trendsetter.”

Seems very similar to AR codes (nicely used in Pokédex 3D), using Shazam on adverts to unlock "more". The only thing that is new is that they're physical models and cost a ton more. It's DLC on a small scale or more expensive freemium-esque shizzle (depending on how often you use it, you could making savings as opposed to loads of microtransactions in other games). Doing something new =/= trendsetting.

But that's amiibo in its simplest forms, what DLC has worked across multiple games? Multiple consoles? None. So that's new!

Likewise couldn't Skylanders or Disney Infinity claim exactly the same thing. As they do things Amiibo/one another don't do.

But that's amiibo in its simplest forms, what DLC has worked across multiple games? Multiple consoles? None. So that's new!

It wouldn't surprise me if King have some sort of cross game paid bouns, but as I said, new doesn't equal a trendsetter. This is something we'll have to wait and see.

But I'm willing to bet a few years down the line it'll be a war of who started with Amiibo/Skylanders. "Inspiring" one another etc etc.

LET US RETURN TO THIS IN TWENTY SEVENTEEN.

Y'kno, the idea of the amiibo bundle for Mario Party did a really good job of getting me close to buying the game. Then I got wondering - how much do we think they're making on an Amiibo/what's the cost of manufacturing? Doing Amiibo+Game bundles could be a really good way of shifting both(arguably some amiibo aren't struggling on that front) - but it'd be quite excellent if they did a multibuy discount sort of dealie. Say knock a quid/50p off for each subsequent amiibo purchased alongside a software title?

Y'kno, the idea of the amiibo bundle for Mario Party did a really good job of getting me close to buying the game. Then I got wondering - how much do we think they're making on an Amiibo/what's the cost of manufacturing? Doing Amiibo+Game bundles could be a really good way of shifting both(arguably some amiibo aren't struggling on that front) - but it'd be quite excellent if they did a multibuy discount sort of dealie. Say knock a quid/50p off for each subsequent amiibo purchased alongside a software title?

Surely that'd be a retailer decision, though?

Splatoon looks like it'll be getting a bundle btw

What do you think the chances are of there only being two Splatoon amiibo figures and Nintendo bundling both in with the game Mario Party style? :heh:

If that's the case then I'd probably just buy the bundle, but if there's going to be a set of five more amiibo then I probably won't bother going for the set...

...although if there's only a bundle with just one Splatoon amiibo then I'd still probably buy it. :indeed:

*sigh*

And there I was hoping to have finished collecting amiibo by the end of the Smash set. :(

What do you think the chances are of there only being two Splatoon amiibo figures and Nintendo bundling both in with the game Mario Party style? :heh:

If that's the case then I'd probably just buy the bundle, but if there's going to be a set of five more amiibo then I probably won't bother going for the set...

...although if there's only a bundle with just one Splatoon amiibo then I'd still probably buy it. :indeed:

*sigh*

And there I was hoping to have finished collecting amiibo by the end of the Smash set. :(

Once you're in, there's no getting out

Bwahahahahaha

Surely that'd be a retailer decision, though?

How does it look like there'll be a bundle?!?!

How does it look like there'll be a bundle?!?!

South African retailer posted Splatoon with May 29th date, as well as a bundle with a Squid amiibo and two Inkling amiibo released on the same day. It also revealed May 8th for Kirby

May 8th for Kirby was revealed two weeks ago, Nintendo UK press site listed May 29th for Splatoon.

Seems it was legit.