NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Pokemon cards are already a thing, adding an NFC chip seems like a no brainer to me.

I remember a sega game I believe it was, with player cards. It was a bit of a cross between amiibo, FIFA and those football sticker collector albums.

I can imagine Pokemon becoming a bit like that...(without the fifa)

Pokemon cards are already a thing, adding an NFC chip seems like a no brainer to me.

I remember a sega game I believe it was, with player cards. It was a bit of a cross between amiibo, FIFA and those football sticker collector albums.

I can imagine Pokemon becoming a bit like that...(without the fifa)

I'm sure they could even make some devices to display animations while you're playing the actual card game. Or perhaps an actual electronic playing board which does all the HP, fighting and all that with an animated fight in the middle.

They do already have Pokémon TCG Online which makes use of codes inside packs. So it'd not be a huge jump to think that they've not already considered an amiibo card version of them.

How popular is the online game at the moment?

They do already have Pokémon TCG Online which makes use of codes inside packs. So it'd not be a huge jump to think that they've not already considered an amiibo card version of them.

How popular is the online game at the moment?

Fairly popular.

Though, Pokémon cards have done this before with the e-Reader. Created mini-games etc. Many games out in 2002 to 2005 had e-Reader compatibility, specific card sets etc.

Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire did

Pokémon Channel did

Pokémon Colosseum did

Pokémon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire did

Pokémon FireRed & LeafGreen did

Pokémon Emerald did

The standard TCG sets: Expedition, Aquaopolis and Skyridge all had many cards with long barcodes. They included extra moves for the card, various mini-games and construction data blocks to create a platform game. Subsequent sets also had Pokédex data.

So it's not that much of a jump that they'll do something like this again.

Wouldn't NFC chips in every single card make the TCG packs waaaay more expensive, though...? I imagine it would cost a lot more than e-Reader barcodes.

If so, surely that would only piss off the thousands of competitive players who just want to make a deck for the tournaments and don't care for the functionality an amiibo feature would add? I know for sure that I and most of my League friends feel that Pokémon cards are way too expensive already. :P

Wouldn't NFC chips in every single card make the TCG packs waaaay more expensive, though...? I imagine it would cost a lot more than e-Reader barcodes.

If so, surely that would only piss off the thousands of competitive players who just want to make a deck for the tournaments and don't care for the functionality an amiibo feature would add? I know for sure that I and most of my League friends feel that Pokémon cards are way too expensive already. :P

NFC chips aren't that expensive. We'll either get like 1 card less per pack, like they did in the e-Reader times, or they'll eat the loss

I guess there are other factors in play, but considering how in Japan the Animal Crossing amiibo packs have 3 cards for 300 yen (100 yen per card) and Pokémon TCG booster packs have 5 cards for 150 (30 yen per card), I imagined it would hike up the price quite a bit. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

I'll stop playing the TCG if they ramped up the price to accommodate having microchips in any of the cards. I already flog the code cards that come with the boosters now.

NFC chips aren't that expensive. We'll either get like 1 card less per pack, like they did in the e-Reader times, or they'll eat the loss

Or just sell smaller packs of the Amiibo versions.

I'll stop playing the TCG if they ramped up the price to accommodate having microchips in any of the cards. I already flog the code cards that come with the boosters now.

I'm sure they'd keep selling both versions.

I'm sure they'd keep selling both versions.

If they did, they best keep them as separate entities. Because if they were playable in standard tournaments the money angle would be stupid. People already play silly amounts to get a playset of cards already as it is.

If they did, they best keep them as separate entities. Because if they were playable in standard tournaments the money angle would be stupid. People already play silly amounts to get a playset of cards already as it is.

How so? They would probably look exactly the same, except they would have an amiibo logo.

Actually, considering that the NFC chips would make the cards distinguishable by touch from the regular Pokémon cards, you wouldn't even be able to mix them with older cards in a deck. So it's literally impossible to implement them into the current TCG.

Actually, considering that the NFC chips would make the cards distinguishable by touch from the regular Pokémon cards, you wouldn't even be able to mix them with older cards in a deck. So it's literally impossible to implement them into the current TCG.

This is true

Maybe they'll do something like the Pokémon Zukan Carddass sets they keep coming out withand use it like that. My mum actually got me a Celebi card from that set for my birthday. They release a card of each Pokémon. Just wing NFC chips in there, job done.

How so? They would probably look exactly the same, except they would have an amiibo logo.

And would be more expensive, is what I'm getting at.

For tournaments you have to use sleeves for your deck, the main issue would be thickness, but how would they look? I'm imagining a card with a SIM card stuck in the middle.

And would be more expensive, is what I'm getting at.

For tournaments you have to use sleeves for your deck, the main issue would be thickness, but how would they look? I'm imagining a card with a SIM card stuck in the middle.

That's how the Animal Crossing ones work. On the back, the amiibo symbol is raised. Presumably that's where the NFC chip is.

This is what the AC ones are like

umk9G5T.jpg

On October 2nd, a special folder will come out that contains all 100 Animal Crossing cards from Series 1. Don't know if there will be folders for Series 2 through 4 but wouldn't be surprised

niiG3jF.jpg

Are you sure they come with all 100 cards in them and it's not just an empty album you fill up yourself?

Are you sure they come with all 100 cards in them and it's not just an empty album you fill up yourself?

Sorry yeah, I meant that contains slots for all cards

I was literally just thinking about which folders to get for my amiibo cards. This is awesome!

On holiday in France at the moment, and have been checking the game shops to see how plentiful amiibo are. A fairly good range on the whole, and one shop even had an original model Villager for sale, as well as some official Wii U GameCube adapters and these two for €150 each..

653C5A1B-DA91-4178-AF83-29FA63DF569B_zpsljsar1r7.jpg

『どうぶつの森amiiboカード 第2弾』発売延期のお知らせ

日頃は弊社の商品をご愛顧賜りまして、誠にありがとうございます。

2015年7月30日(木)に発売いたしました『どうぶつの森amiiboカード 第1弾』におきましては、市場で品薄の状態が続いており、購入を希望いただいているお客様には大変ご迷惑をおかけしております。発売日以降も順次追加出荷を行っており、8月下旬にも追加出荷を予定しておりますが、弊社の想定を大きく上回る売れ行きに生産が追いつかず、今後もしばらくは品薄が続く見込みです。

この状況を一刻も早く改善すべく、誠に勝手ではございますが、当該商品と同じ設備での生産を予定しておりました『どうぶつの森amiiboカード 第2弾』の発売を延期し、『どうぶつの森amiiboカード 第1弾』の追加生産を優先させていただくことにいたしました。『どうぶつの森amiiboカード 第2弾』の発売日は決まり次第お知らせいたします。

発売をお待ちいただいている皆様には、大変ご迷惑をおかけいたしますが、何卒ご理解賜りたくお願いいたしますとともに、心よりお詫び申し上げます。

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2015/0806.html

Animal Crossing amiibo Card Series 2 has been delayed in Japan from its September 30th launch. New launch date yet to be determined. It appears that the sales of the Series 1 cards far exceeded expectations. Reshipments coming in late August. Planned production of the Series 2 cards has been shifted to Series 1.

Thankfully, it's a lot easier to restock cards than figures.

Amazon UK have the Animal Crossing packs at over £6 a pack? lolno

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Crossing-Amiibo-Card-Nintendo/dp/B012TK388O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1438863566&sr=8-13&keywords=animal+crossing+amiibo

In addition to Amazon's £6.26:

ShopTo added the cards at £5.85

GAME added at £4.99 or £12.99 for 3 packs

That's a horrific markup. Japan gets them for 300 Yen which is equivalent of £1.55. ShopTo is almost 4 times that. Amazon is 4 times that. GAME is just over 3 times that.

I'd understand and accept it being at £3 a pack due to rip-off Britain and typical to Japanese products to English works, but this is ridiculous. Yeesh. So glad I don't care about Animal Crossing.

Edited by Serebii

In addition to Amazon's £6.26:

ShopTo added the cards at £5.85

GAME added at £4.99 or £12.99 for 3 packs

That's a horrific markup. Japan gets them for 300 Yen which is equivalent of £1.55. ShopTo is almost 4 times that. Amazon is 4 times that. GAME is just over 3 times that.

I'd understand and accept it being at £3 a pack due to rip-off Britain and typical to Japanese products to English works, but this is ridiculous. Yeesh. So glad I don't care about Animal Crossing.

Same here. I feel sorry for those that do, though. :(

Like you, I was thinking £3.00 a pack would be somewhat reasonable, but at £5.00-6.00, that's just insane, especially when you consider these are in blind packs of 3! I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take off over here.