NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Which Wii U games do the Skylanders amiino actually work with (besides Skylanders obviously)?

They have a switch that switches them between amiibo and Skylanders. When on amiibo, they act just like standard Bowser & DK ones so Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Mini Mario & Friends etc.

Have completed the Mario Party series now, with just Mabel and Nook left for the AC wave 1.

Gonna have to get myself a Gold and Silver Mario at some point soon, not looking forward to paying scalper prices - anyone got any recommendations where to buy?

Another thought... are the Animal Crossing amiibo selling poorly? Have seen them reduced in loads of places recently and USA people have been seeing them on clearance too. Might be due to the poor game implementation, or maybe just less popularity than the other Nintendo characters. I'd assume they're selling well in Japan...

Edited by Guy
I can't keep these words bottled up inside me.

Are the Animal Crossing amiibo selling poorly? Have seen them reduced in loads of places recently and USA people have been seeing them on clearance too. Might be due to the poor game implementation, or maybe just less popularity than the other Nintendo characters. I'd assume they're selling well in Japan...

Probably a bit of both, TBH. I don't think they have the same appeal as the Smash line, at least in the West.

Gold Mario can be bought off eBay for just under £20. Since it was released in Japan the prices have fallen dramatically.

New Animal Crossing amiibo arriving in Japan on 24th March.

CZOSwQnUsAAuf_h.jpg

They will also be getting the 4th series of the cards on the same day.

Isabelle will also be bundled with Happy Home Designer.

CZOROrZWEAAA6DT.png

At least it's just four more. Right guys? JUST FOUR MORE. FOUR MORE.

16 figures in and already one Isabelle variant. Why did I start collecting these goddamn things.

Shovel Knight, as we know, dispenses his own brand of justice not with a blade but a mighty digging tool. While the accompanying amiibo is intended for use in-game, the fact that it has "Shovel" in its name has clearly befuddled someone at Walmart, as the toy has been listed in the "gardening & tools" section of the company's site.

630x.jpg

Amusingly, the toy rose to the rank of "bestseller", which will no doubt have confused the heck out of anyone browsing the category for a new spade or pair of gardening gloves.

Perhaps a few green-fingered individuals even went as far as placing an order for this seemingly essential gardening item - the expression on their faces when a small lump of NFC-enabled plastic turns up on the doorstep will no doubt be utterly priceless.

OUTSTANDING. :D

Summer Outfit Isabelle. The first one has the Autumn/Winter outfit.

Makes sense considering both outfits have separate costumes in Super Mario Maker.

Mega Yarn Yoshi is now £19.99 at Argos.

HERE

I managed to resist when it was £24.99. Today is pay day and i'm heading to cinema tonight, which is located near an Argos store......

Wave 3 of the Animal Crossing cards hits next month.

Has anyone been able to keep up with these? I got the album for wave 1 and a couple of packs, but they're a little expensive in-store for random cards, and I can't justify getting them from the Nintendo Store as I haven't found myself feeling that desperate to collect them!

So I bought the skylanders starter pack. God are skylanders awful in comparison to amiibo....

@dazzybee, I don't know why you are surprised :p

Me neither :) I guess I thought they'd be better quality than that, Disney ones are great, Amiibo are incredible. These are really really cheap!! Oh well.... •orders Bowser Skylander...*

Stumbled upon this last night. It's actually from last April but I've been catching up with Idea Channel videos recently. Had a quick look and couldn't see it posted.

Raises an interesting point - while video games have over the decades become typical for adults to play (i.e. you wouldn't be surprised if an adult said they play them), toys still remain a child's thing. And it questions where amiibos fit in the toy/action figure/doll venn diagram.

Do toys remain a childs thing? How many adults on these forums own "toys" or "figurines"? I'd imagine most.

Do toys remain a childs thing? How many adults on these forums own "toys" or "figurines"? I'd imagine most.

I know there's a few on here who like to buy Lego and Nintendo figurines.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything I have other than amiibo and Disney Infinity stuff. I don't class either of these as toys or figures, though. I scan them in and then put them back on the display shelf. It's not as if i'm sitting there, crossed legged on the floor, while making pew pew sounds and having them fight each other. Even if I did, what of it? :D

I phrased it badly and the video does a better job, but what I was trying to say (re-iterating the point it made) was if you said to a colleague "I played video games over the weekend" they (probably) wouldn't think much of it. If you said "I played with some toys over the weekend" they'd probably ask you if a child was present.

But as you said, saying you have figurines is a bit better, collectables is the most 'adult-appropriate' way of describing them so the video was discussing this notion. Are amiibos collectibles or toys (and is Nintendo making them collectables due to stock shortages - at the time of publication - and retailer-specific amiibos etc) and do they need to be considered collectibles to be accepted as something adults would not only get, but spent a lot of time and effort getting (although again that is less relevant now than at time of publication as stock seems better, but IDK I don't care about amiibos).

tl;dr its about semantics and while they all belong with a semantic field and arguably are just different terms for the same thing, the general perception about them is different and thus do we actively try and assign a specific label to justify ownership (and should we) or should we try and 'reclaim' the word 'toy' to be suitable for adults the same way video games are.

(That wasn't really a shorter version was it?)

It's not as if i'm sitting there, crossed legged on the floor, while making pew pew sounds and having them fight each other. Even if I did, what of it? :D

That was something else raised in the video. You get to a certain age where you request toys (as opposed to just being given them) and do any kids really play with them as kids do in adverts? By that age is it about ownership and identifying with the product it represents (i.e. TMNT etc).

Edited by Ashley