NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Is Marth still rare ? I've seen some for sale and the collector in me is tempted.

Anything over than Nintendo main characters are rare at the moment. Mario, Peach, Pikachu and Peach are the most common, so I'd say if you do want it, grab it now.

Anything over than Nintendo main characters are rare at the moment. Mario, Peach, Pikachu and Peach are the most common, so I'd say if you do want it, grab it now.

Good job I got it then. And a Link, because Link is a cool guy.

GAME seems to have gotten a restock of Marth and Meta Knight this weekend. Was great to see some Amiibo's actually in stock!

So this kinda spoke to me and the general issues(don't normally jimquisition but my friend posted to me);

(cut it when the credits first start rolling, it's just some weird crappy freakout skit after and he's kinda annoying)

Edited by Rummy

"Waaa amiibo don't do enough"

"Waaa amiibo do too much"

Sick of these circular arguments that keep happening about amiibo. You can't fucking have it both ways.

Nintendo's restocks are happening. Hard to find ones are more easily purchasable. If people actually stood up away from the bitching to actually see this, then this shit would be over.

Yes, some amiibo are hard to find, that doesn't mean Nintendo should stop putting content for the amiibo in their games until they aren't. That's not how it works and anyone who knows anything about the industry, like Jim Sterling, should know that, know that amiibo take a while to make, and shut the flying fuck up about it.

Edited by Serebii

"Waaa amiibo don't do enough"

"Waaa amiibo do too much"

Sick of these circular arguments that keep happening about amiibo. You can't fucking have it both ways.

Actually you can. Don't make anything on the disc of ordinary games locked to amiibo. And make a separate game or freeware app, specific to amiibo, a la Skylanders.

Actually you can. Don't make anything on the disc of ordinary games locked to amiibo. And make a separate game or freeware app, specific to amiibo, a la Skylanders.

The content "locked" to amiibo on games is all content that wouldn't exist in the game without the amiibo so your argument is flawed. In no way is the game incomplete without amiibo.

PLUS, if Nintendo did do that, the exact same people would be bitching. I mean hell, even Wii here was saying they should just not bother putting any amiibo content in games because of how "evil" it is. They'd use it as a vehicle to complain about locking content once more.

Edited by Rummy

So this kinda spoke to me and the general issues(don't normally jimquisition but my friend posted to me);

(cut it when the credits first start rolling, it's just some weird crappy freakout skit after and he's kinda annoying)

I love that video and Jim. I find the dude hilarious when he goes on his rants. Thank God for Jim. :D

The content "locked" to amiibo on games is all content that wouldn't exist in the game without the amiibo so your argument is flawed. In no way is the game incomplete without amiibo.

Tosh. The content is made during development of the game, using the staff that should be assigned to making the full game that everyone gets. It's impossible to differentiate from the content that you get without amiibo, and in no way can you say it would have been impossible for them to provide that content unless that extra bit of money funded them to do so.

TL;DR - they could easily provide that content to everyone. And in a game where many people have said content is a little thin on the ground, it would probably have been quite well received.

Edited by Sheikah

Saying f-ing every ten seconds and clips of amiibo shagging each other. Yeah I'll give that creative genius a miss.

Jim makes good points, but his delivery does leave something to be desired. I think it's all part of his act though.

Jim makes good points, but his delivery does leave something to be desired. I think it's all part of his act though.

Exactly. It's part of his shtick.

I tend to watch most of his videos. He has some great insights to the industry.

I'm with the - the guy is clearly a humongous cock group! Some of what he says is good, but oh my lord is he an irritating prick.

Seeing amiibos attempt to penetrate each other is about as funny as the robot balls joke in Transformers... Right @Hero\-of\-Time :)

The angry video game nerd swearing every ten seconds thing on YouTube is pretty pathetic IMO, I can't see what's so appealing about those kind of videos.

Exactly. It's part of his shtick.

I tend to watch most of his videos. He has some great insights to the industry.

Yeah I posted it here rather than the other thread because I thought the points themselves were actually quite salient and resonate with myself, rather than just general complaining - I'll admit the taste of delivery is debatable but I honestly really identified with what he was saying and how he was saying it. I was hoping it'd lead to a bit of discussion about the points themselves rather than about the guy, but what a silly thing to expect...

TL;DR - they could easily provide that content to everyone. And in a game where many people have said content is a little thin on the ground, it would probably have been quite well received.

^ What do you say to this @Serebii? Because I think that's a far more obvious point than suggesting the content couldn't or wouldn't exist without amiibo. I wish I could access it somehow as I have the game, but I can't without buying a whole 3 amiibo, which may not even be that easy to get a hold of. Hell, I'm still wishing I'd see some of the Smash amiibo come back round too so I can buy/use them - but at least there it isn't content I have that I can't access without it. Splatoon's implementation feels a lot more like a disguised DLC than Smash was.

Providing the amiibo content to everyone is a bit silly. Some amiibo content, as per the Smash stuff, isn't possible without amiibo and the rest is created to give amiibo further worth. To just give it as well would make amiibo pointless.

I wonder if there's even an NFC chip.

Actually, I wouldn't mind some cheap counterfeit NFC card versions of Amiibo. Or perhaps an Android app that can give the Amiibo code to an NFC chip.

I'd happily pay for proper NFC card versions of some of them.

Can't pretend I wouldn't consider buying knock-off amiibo if they have the chips and work. I guess I'm one of those after the content a bit more than the figure(figure's still good though the quality isn't such a big deal for me I guess if it's half presentable at least).

Providing the amiibo content to everyone is a bit silly. Some amiibo content, as per the Smash stuff, isn't possible without amiibo and the rest is created to give amiibo further worth. To just give it as well would make amiibo pointless.

I don't know if you're intentionally ignoring the point or actually just can't comprehend what's being said here. Either way - it isn't what me or Shiekah appear to be saying.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Yeah, amiibo really need to have more worth. Nobody is buying the fucking things and Nintendo have loads of stock to clear.

Yeah, amiibo really need to have more worth. Nobody is buying the fucking things and Nintendo have loads of stock to clear.

You're right. They're selling so they should remove the worth.

Don't be an idiot.

You're right. They're selling so they should remove the worth.

Don't be an idiot.

lawl.

K. They're selling through because of some functionality on a console that hardly anyone owns. Not the hype/toy/gotta have 'em factor.

This fucking forum.

lawl.

K. They're selling through because of some functionality on a console that hardly anyone owns. Not the hype/toy/gotta have 'em factor.

This fucking forum.

So because people may not be buying them for some of the features means they shouldn't bother with the features? Are you actually for real?

Glad you don't run a business, it'd crash and burn.

When it's content like Splatoon, I'd like it to be available elsewhere. Hell, the amiibo aren't even carrying the weapon you unlock, or any of the gear. The figure doesn't reflect what you unlock.

I'm fine with costumes and stuff being exclusive to Amiibo, but I don't like the idea of significant stuff hidden behind it.

The advantage of Amiibo is unlocking stuff in multiple games (something the Splatoon ones currently don't do) or unique uses like the Smash Bros stuff (again, something the Splatoon ones don't do).

I think at this stage it would be time to release card type amiibo. much cheaper, actually mass produced. Maybe make the first wave seem just as rare so the scalper bastards buy 1000's of the things, then flood the market so the scalpers are stuck with hundreds of cards they don't want and they can't sell.

Nintendo have enough characters for smash that they could sell a pack of smash playing cards.

So because people may not be buying them for some of the features means they shouldn't bother with the features? Are you actually for real?

Glad you don't run a business, it'd crash and burn.

No, let's rewind as something has clearly gone over your head here.

Nobody is saying amiibo should not unlock any content. I am saying that they should not unlock some of the content they currently do. That is, having on-disc content tied to amiibo. Whatever functionality they would get instead (app compatibility, amiibo-specific games) does not bother me as I have no interest in them.

And you are saying that removing this one feature would remove their worth and ruin them, even after admitting the real reason for their success. Ridiculous.