NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Nintendo Service Agent Pins Blame For Amiibo Shortage Solely On Retailers

Yesterday, Brian Shea published an opinion piece about the ways in which Nintendo is letting its fan base down. In response to that story, a reader reached out to us to share his interactions with a Nintendo customer-service representative.

Brian Nelson contacted us with a text transcript of his conversation. He begins by expressing his disappointment with the handling of the Amiibo shortage.

"I would just like to express my disappointment with your handling of amiibo support, instead of taking preorders and making a supply to match, you have purposely created a shortage of characters and now games with features large amounts of players will never be able to access. Disney and activision have no problem assuring their customers get their toys to life figures.

There's no reason I should have had to wait in line for hours at gamestop yesterday, been the only customer in line and still have to walk away without the amiibo I wanted, you've known of the demand since wave one and still refuse to keep up with the demand for products. Why even make a product you have no desire to make sure people who want can get. You advertise compatible amiibo feature with games, yet don't produce enough for people to even use them in the compatibile software. I hope you see the error of you production currently and offer some sort of solution soon."

The Nintendo customer service representative apologizes for the trouble Brian has had in obtaining the figures he wants. As expected though, he doesn't have much actionable information to share.

"Thank you for writing. I apologize for the delay in our reply. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment with the availability and distribution of amiibo, and would like you to know that we have documented and shared your concerns with the relevant departments here at Nintendo.

Additionally, I’d like to convey that we are aware of the popularity of amiibo and continually aim to always have a regular supply of amiibo in the marketplace. As stated previously, certain sold-out amiibo may return to your local retailer at a later stage. We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing now, and thank you in advance for your continued patience in this matter."

That isn’t good enough for Brian, though. He tells the representative that his complaints were “glossed over.”

"If you guys are aware of the popularity of amiibo from past waves, why have you not stepped up production of the newer figures. Especially seeing how you are promoting them with newer games such as Kirby and code name steam.

Short of Kirby, you can not purchase a single figure compatible with either game. All of the fire emblem characters are unavailable , many of which aren't even released and are sold out already. Why promote using fire emblem characters in code name steam if the majority of players will never have the opportunity. If your company is aware of the demand, it would only reason you are purposely failing to meet supply."

Brian makes a hefty accusation here about Nintendo’s manipulation of demand via the supply chain. He does however make a clear point about features locked away (perhaps permanently) because Amiibo figures are impossible to find with any reliability.

Where things start to fall apart is when the representative takes it upon him or herself to explain how the supply chain works. This person, who likely does not speak for corporate public relations, abdicates all responsibility on behalf of Nintendo of America.

"While this may not be the answer you were hoping for, all of the issues you're describing are retailer related. Nintendo has no input on when or how retailers sell our products, if or when new products are stocked, or when and how the retailer takes pre-orders. These decisions are made by retailers at the administration level. If you have concerns about these kinds of issues, we can only recommend contacting your retailer.

It may interest you to learn that Nintendo doesn't ship products directly to retail locations. We take orders from distributors (who sell our products and products from other companies), and ship our products to their distribution centers. The distributors then take orders from retailers and ship these orders to the retailers' merchandise centers. Once there, the retailers make all decisions about how to best sell this merchandise. They divide this merchandise up into smaller units and send them to retailers based on sales data.

Please also note that no amiibo have been discontinued at this time. We plan to have different amiibo available throughout the year, and characters which seem to disappear at one time will suddenly reappear in the future. This means that amiibo which are hard to find now will be back in stores."

In order to verify Brian’s story, we were able to call the Nintendo support line and use the ticket number. The representative we spoke with verified the content of the messages we were provided.

We reached out to Nintendo yesterday, giving the publisher nearly a full day in order to provide comment for this story. Unfortunately, we did not hear back by the time of publication. We’ll update if Nintendo decides to comment.

Our Take

It’s important to note that Nintendo corporate PR will likely disown this CSR’s comment placing the blame on retailers. Regardless, this is what at least one customer is being told. Given the detail provided, we have to wonder how many other customers like Brian have been told something similar.

With the gray market swopping in to snatch up as many Amiibo figures as it can, how long will it be before the only place we can get them is eBay and Amazon's Marketplace? That's not a good look for Nintendo and it needs to improve quickly.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/04/09/nintendo-service-agent-pins-blame-for-amiibo-shortage-solely-on-retailers.aspx

Edited by Wii

Yeah, it's got nothing to do with retailers. I've spoken to guys at my local GAME a number of times about the situation and it comes down to Nintendo just not providing the numbers they want. Even with the latest Mario range they were only sent a handful and not even the full wave.

Shulk, Dedede and Meta Knight wave was probably the worst for us as all 3 were no where to be found. Argos never even got any stock of all 3 of them but got loads of Sonic and Megaman.

I just hope xenoblade has loads of amiibo support so they have to re release Shulk

its really ridiculous and actively turning people off amiibo's! i don't want to have to pre-order an entire wave, i want to go into a store, look down the isle with NFC figures on and not see empty Amiibo slots

If they don't startre-releasing Rosalina,Toon Link and some of the others over the next 2 to 3 months i'm out

It finally hit me yesterday just how competitive things are getting with the NFC figure business. My local Game is a pretty small store, but Skylanders eats up so much of the space and Amiibo has effectively cannibalised one of the Wii U shelves. It's good that the industry has found new, attractive things for all generations of players but it does worry me that the shelf space is being lost and will make it even harder for any new companies hoping to enter the industry, which is still something I want to happen.

Nintendo has benefited greatly from Amiibo as it's a figure that you don't really need anything for, you could just display it if you wanted to and not have a Wii U or a New 3DS to fully utilise it, but is there a potential where it does more harm than good when it comes to that valuable shelf space? They're no doubt going to keep it going for their next generation, but with the Xbox and PS4 doing pretty damn well for sales, how do they claw that back without sacrificing the space required to display the Amiibo?

amiibo's feel a bit like a diversion from the video games themselves. I wonder when Nintendo will stop going on about the next amiibo set they are going to release and talk about the actual games in the future. Give us a real Animal Crossing game and not a amiibo card + animal crossing designer thing.

I'm sure in a few years time someone on YouTube will proudly show off their complete amiibo set all boxed up and never been used. Probably costing several hundred pounds/euros/dollars upwards and good luck to them but I won't be doing that.

Since this company really can't sort out supply it means that money will go onto the private sellers pockets something which I don't think Nintendo really cares about.

Personally, Nintendo got lucky with amiibo's but I seriously doubt they would have thought of the idea if Skylanders hadn't been so successful. Lastly, will sales of amiibo's actually translate into sales of consoles to play them on? Or are amiibo's just being bought by existing Nintendo customers?

I think it's safe to say that the majority of Amiibo owners are existing Nintendo customers. Although I've heard of some people simply buying their favourite characters, surely there must be more than just those cases? I imagine Mega Man fans bought the Mega Man amiibo regardless of whether or not they own smash, because it's quite a cute looking figure.

I think one of the most damaging things though is the terrible supply of them. It looks really unattractive that there are usually fuck loads of the same figure on the shelf rather than a decent assortment of them, and I think that actually impacts potential customers who would love to collect the whole set of a wave. It's sheer lunacy that Nintendo blames the retailers for it, when the high popularity ones are constantly sold out on Nintendo's own store!

It's clearly working for them, so maybe I'm just over thinking it all. But it does beg that last question you asked, is the main purpose to further recuperate cash from existing console owners or will it translate into more console sales? We'll never know!

I think it's safe to say that the majority of Amiibo owners are existing Nintendo customers. Although I've heard of some people simply buying their favourite characters, surely there must be more than just those cases? I imagine Mega Man fans bought the Mega Man amiibo regardless of whether or not they own smash, because it's quite a cute looking figure.

I think one of the most damaging things though is the terrible supply of them. It looks really unattractive that there are usually fuck loads of the same figure on the shelf rather than a decent assortment of them, and I think that actually impacts potential customers who would love to collect the whole set of a wave. It's sheer lunacy that Nintendo blames the retailers for it, when the high popularity ones are constantly sold out on Nintendo's own store!

It's clearly working for them, so maybe I'm just over thinking it all. But it does beg that last question you asked, is the main purpose to further recuperate cash from existing console owners or will it translate into more console sales? We'll never know!

Most of it is American Scalpers though.

GAME UK removed ability to ship internationally earlier, cancelling ones with forwarding services. As such, it actually took over a day for any of their allotments to sell out, and there are still a few with preorders. I think supply is being worked out now, and things like this bode well

but it does worry me that the shelf space is being lost and will make it even harder for any new companies hoping to enter the industry, which is still something I want to happen.

Interesting point. With more and more of the "big" companies creating toys to life (Activision, Disney, Nintendo and now Lego), It's not hard to predict that this will become more and more of a standard for the industry. Maybe not all in toy form (cards are already confirmed) but I can see a future where there are no games in shops anymore. You'll only have digital games and shops only sell hardware and accompanying products (controllers, pherpherals, nfc, etc)

Indie developers and their growing success already show that this doesn't have to be a bad thing for the quality/creativity of the industry.

Interesting point. With more and more of the "big" companies creating toys to life (Activision, Disney, Nintendo and now Lego), It's not hard to predict that this will become more and more of a standard for the industry. Maybe not all in toy form (cards are already confirmed) but I can see a future where there are no games in shops anymore. You'll only have digital games and shops only sell hardware and accompanying products (controllers, pherpherals, nfc, etc)

Indie developers and their growing success already show that this doesn't have to be a bad thing for the quality/creativity of the industry.

Firstly, I really hope this doesn't become industry standard. Can you image buying a game and then the extra DLC and then some amiibo type figures in order to unlock stuff that's already on the disc to begin with? Careful now, you'll give Capcom and even Rovio ideas.

How big is your wallet and do you have enough space for them where you live? And the final question which I'm sure some will forget....do we really need them?

Firstly, I really hope this doesn't become industry standard. Can you image buying a game and then the extra DLC and then some amiibo type figures in order to unlock stuff that's already on the disc to begin with? Careful now, you'll give Capcom and even Rovio ideas.

How big is your wallet and do you have enough space for them where you live? And the final question which I'm sure some will forget....do we really need them?

I agree. I don't want nor need them. I've hundreds of games I've never played and some I'll never get around too. But you know, it's not so bad, they stack easy and aren't in the way. These amiibo look cumbersome and they're nowhere near as easy to store. Can you stack them 50 or 100 high? Didn't think so.

If you cut the figure off from the amiibo just leaving the plastic circle NFC thingy behind then I guess they would be easier to stack.

20 amiibo's at 15 euros each is about the same price as a new Wii U (32gb model), something's wrong here.

I can see where you're both coming from and I agree that it's only great when it is value for money. How much they're worth is a matter of opinion.

The point I was trying to make was more that there is less and less need for fysical games. Consumers are getting used to downloading and shelfspace is expensive, I say it's bound to happen very soon now.

But yeah, the NFC/Toys to Life part could just as easily be a hype, we'll have to wait and see. Will consumers still be as passionate for these now we have 4 companies competing and maybe even more in the near future? I really don't know if it'll last.

I think that if Nintendo want the amiibo concept to work out, they should keep some things in mind:

1. Be careful not to alienate gamers who don't want to collect toys, give them an alternative way to unlock the content.

2. Take care of more than enough stock.

1. Be careful not to alienate gamers who don't want to collect toys, give them an alternative way to unlock the content.

They've already said they're going to release cheaper amiibo cards of all the series, which makes sense for people who don't want to collect figurines. The Marth amiibo figure might be limited but the cards should be in plentiful supply, for instance.

They've already said they're going to release cheaper amiibo cards of all the series, which makes sense for people who don't want to collect figurines. The Marth amiibo figure might be limited but the cards should be in plentiful supply, for instance.

It depends how they do the cards though. I imagine blind packs will be the way they go, which no doubt will annoy people who are after just a certain card for a certain unlockable. I suppose the AC cards will be a good indicator as to how they will go about distributing them.

It depends how they do the cards though. I imagine blind packs will be the way they go, which no doubt will annoy people who are after just a certain card for a certain unlockable. I suppose the AC cards will be a good indicator as to how they will go about distributing them.

I think blind packs only make sense for Animal Crossing, given the number of villagers. Everything else you'll surely be able to buy specific ones?!

I'm holding off judgement on the NFC cards until we see what they plan to do with them. It'd be nice if you could buy specific cards, but I so get the feeling they'll be blind pulls.

I can see where you're both coming from and I agree that it's only great when it is value for money. How much they're worth is a matter of opinion.

The point I was trying to make was more that there is less and less need for fysical games. Consumers are getting used to downloading and shelfspace is expensive, I say it's bound to happen very soon now.

But yeah, the NFC/Toys to Life part could just as easily be a hype, we'll have to wait and see. Will consumers still be as passionate for these now we have 4 companies competing and maybe even more in the near future? I really don't know if it'll last.

I think that if Nintendo want the amiibo concept to work out, they should keep some things in mind:

2. Take care of more than enough stock.

I completely get your earlier point about this but the day when I'm stuck in front of some streaming only Nintendo box surrounded by plastic toys is the day I stop gaming.

Also I agree with you that Nintendo should avoid alienating gamers by giving them other ways to unlock content and that they need to have more stock.

I just had a look at the official online Nintendo store here in the UK regarding amiibo's and it looks a bit embarrassing with over 60% being currently out of stock.

Edited by sumo73

I give out about Nintendo quite a bit. It may not have escaped some of you. :D I'm so glad I hate amiibo or I'd be in here slating them about what's going on. I tried to put myself in your shoes and what it must be like which I couldn't do. After watching that IGN video over in the Wii U general discussion yesterday towards the end they discussed amiibo and I wouldn't have been as cordial they were and they're amiibo's biggest advocates. And they're more about the figures and the collecting. God I hate amiibo, give me a hurley, a room full of them and there would be only one person walking out that door. It's disgusting what's happening to the industry that I love.

You hate amiibo. We get it. You've told us a million times. A lot of us love them and they're selling loads. Accept that and move on ffs.

You hate amiibo. We get it. You've told us a million times. A lot of us love them and they're selling loads. Accept that and move on ffs.

Are you intentionally trying to antagonise Wii? It sounds more like you can't accept that he hates them, rather than the reverse.

Despite what I've already said on the matter I don't hate amiibo's and will probably buy 'a few' in the future. Nintendo have in my view stumbled, (thanks in part to Activision/Disney) onto an idea which will help generate some interest in their games and with collecting these figures and for the company themselves to make money. Also perhaps shift a few more 3DS and Wii U's along the way.

What I dislike about amiibo's are the varying cost price (I'm not even talking about the rare ones) and the availability (or lack) of them perhaps forcing people to seek them out at an inflated price via resellers.

Also I don't want to see people feeling cut out from others or pressurised into buying more of them. I truly hope Nintendo sorts things out soon.

Edited by sumo73

I'm not the biggest fan of Amiibo, but I have two. A good friend gave me their spare Villager as I couldn't find an affordable one for the life of me.

My biggest problem is that it's always the ones I like that sell out and my order gets cancelled for, so I just don't waste the time on them any more.

I have pre-ordered the Splatoon Limited Edition and the Splatoon Chick Amiibo. I think I love them? But I don't know why. I feel like I want to take them everywhere.