NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

The placement is unfortunate but I'm far more annoyed about the colour of the stand, wtf were they thinking not making it clear plastic. Of course that all pales into insignificance when you consider the most pressing concern about these things, the detail with which we cannot live without for much longer.... HOW MUCH MEMORY DOES IT HAVE ONBOARD!!!!111

on board memory isn't particularly interesting - it's not directly usable by us - unless/until someone hacks into them so they can become pretty pendrives.

Even if you know how much memory each amiibo has onboard, you don't know how much of that memory is required by each individual game. So what we really want to know is

1) How many games can be supported by an individual Amiibo figure.

2) What data will be stored by these games

3) How will the amiibo be used within these games.

I don't actually care how much memory is onboard, as you say it is in no way interesting. I was just making an unfunny joke at @Wii's expense, who was moaning about us not knowing that particularly useless detail.

I see... how unkind! :heh:

Looking back I see now, but that was a while back so I'd forgotten all about that post. I enjoyed wii's last post so maybe best focus back on the amiibo :P

So far I have a Mario ordered, I'm considering getting a Yoshi as my second, if I am suitably impressed by Mario! What's everyone else got their eye on?

I ordered the original 12. Then when they announce the additional 6 I thought I'm not getting them all straight away (though will eventually) so decided to just get the ones I wanted and now have 10. Nice number. Can't wait! Though I've just moved to London so my flat is about a quarter of the size it was before and I have no room for anything, I had a dedicated retro nintendo section with old school tv, ned, sees, n64 etc etc Where the fuck is that going to go...? #offtopic

I see... how unkind! :heh:

Looking back I see now, but that was a while back so I'd forgotten all about that post. I enjoyed wii's last post so maybe best focus back on the amiibo :P

So far I have a Mario ordered, I'm considering getting a Yoshi as my second, if I am suitably impressed by Mario! What's everyone else got their eye on?

I've got Pikachu, Yoshi and Link pre-ordered. Thinking about getting Fox too

I'm waiting for Cpt. Falcon, Pit and Little Mac.

Massive shortage of bad guys though, unbelievable :(

I would really like Dedede, Ganondorf, Bowser or Wario...

Plastic costs.

#Conspiracy

I pre-ordered the original 12 to keep in their boxes. Getting an extra Mario (for Smash), Yoshi (for Yoshi) + Link and Villager and probably a couple others lol.

What about Wart?!

This could actually work well with the NES Remix stuff. You could play whatever game using whatever figure!

What's everyone else got their eye on?
Will get one from the first batch (still not decided which one though :hmm:), just to test out the features in Smash.

And I definitely want to get that Captain Falcon amiibo! As long as it looks like this:

X4dg6wa.png

If it suddenly becomes this:

TMh86qH.png

...then perhaps not. :heh:

I think the Captain will have a leg brace like the Wii Fit Trainer, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Probably still getting a bunch of these despite the quality issues. Most likely all of them. Because I'm a tool.

I actually think the Link one will be the most disappointing. The face looks very pale and nondescript, he's looking down, the horrible support stand etc. I imagine Toon Link will look much better

If it suddenly becomes this:

TMh86qH.png

...then perhaps not. :heh:

You need a urine pillar for his gun as well, it looks like it's ripe to be snapped off.

I think the Captain will have a leg brace like the Wii Fit Trainer, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Probably still getting a bunch of these despite the quality issues. Most likely all of them. Because I'm a tool.

Indeed. On seeing multiple photos of them, there are only a couple of "downgrades". The stands, yeah, Peach's face is weird and Marth looks wrong, but other than that, everything looks top notch. Look at Fox, Donkey Kong etc.

Indeed. On seeing multiple photos of them, there are only a couple of "downgrades". The stands, yeah, Peach's face is weird and Marth looks wrong, but other than that, everything looks top notch. Look at Fox, Donkey Kong etc.

To be fair... the actual prototype pics of Marth also look pretty weird. His face at least. He's a bit too generic looking to really portray well in figure form, so he just ends up looking a bit blank and lifeless when it comes to the production run of the figures.

Curious to see if anyone buys these and repaints them.

To be fair... the actual prototype pics of Marth also look pretty weird. His face at least. He's a bit too generic looking to really portray well in figure form, so he just ends up looking a bit blank and lifeless when it comes to the production run of the figures.

Peach's issue is that it looks like she doesn't have a face other than her eyes

5643142350_a347ff1bd9.jpg

Translated & paraphrased from the Q&A

Q1 is about amiibo. They basically talk about the different projects they're planning for next year and the advantage of allowing them to be used in multiple games as well as the speediness of their read/write speeds. They mention non-figure based 'amiibo' are being planned, saying that they are developing cards as part of the 'amiibo' project. They reference the e-Reader cards from the GBA era when saying this. They also talk about smaller, cheaper figures than the Smash figurines and talk about the possibility of using such figures in something like Animal Crossing. Miyamoto is apparently pushing teams to come up with non-standard uses of the NFC reader in the U, the results of which they hope to be able to show off next year. Also talks about using amiibo to extend the life of already released titles, like Mario Kart 8.
Edited by Serebii

Regarding the supports, if there was a necessity to have such horrible pieces of plastic to keep everything sturdy, why not just put the characters affected in different poses.. ::shrug:

Regarding the supports, if there was a necessity to have such horrible pieces of plastic to keep everything sturdy, why not just put the characters affected in different poses.. ::shrug:

Probably because

1) They're designed to look like their Smash Bros. art, which has already been finalized for ages, and

2) Having to design a brand new figurine would take way more time and money than adding some supports would.

Hopefully they're taking these issues into consideration before starting the design work on the next set of amiibo figurines...

I don't really mind most of the supports myself, though I do wonder about the choice of colour for some of them, and DK's looks a bit... excessive, but oh well. They still look pretty great, for the most part.

...I wonder how the support will look for the duck of the Duck Hunt Duo...

:shakehead