NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Surprised link and samus are leading. Though surely the mario one is going to come with smash bros.

If there is not really good use for amiibo I'll probably pick up t and wait for some offers in the future or until there's a great use of them!

I'll wait for Wario, Ganondorf, Bowser, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Pit, Cpt. Falcon, Meta Knight, Little Mac, Dedede and Luigi.

I don't understand why Luigi, Zelda, Falcon, Pit, Bowser and especially Zero Suit Samus aren't in this first wave... :confused:

And ofcourse, there will never be a Wart :(

Those expecting them to be £9.99 are in for a shock IMO, it will blatantly be £11.99

I don't understand why Luigi, Zelda, Falcon, Pit, Bowser and especially Zero Suit Samus aren't in this first wave... :confused:

Because they need to save some big names for the next wave and 12 is plenty for a first set?

Are Nintendo's Amiibo's Too Expensive? - PAX Prime

I think they are too expensive. I also don't see the point of them besides Nintendo trying to create a cash cow.

What a surprise @Wii, you think they're too expensive.

And how about waiting until they tell us a bit more about them before questioning the point of them. We literally know next to nothing about how they'll be implemented in games.

We literally know next to nothing about how they'll be implemented in games.

That's a big problem, though. I won't buy/pre-order any of them until I know what exactly they do and I reckon there are a lot of people who think the same.

Right now it's just all about how they look. And they do look awesome.

But we need more information about how they work.

We'll find out very soon I'm sure in a direct with maybe even a rollout plan. My big concern is how shit the uses will be. Smash bros. is a glorified tamogotchi, not interested; Mario Kart has some amazing stuff coming but it's all DLC. Why not have the Link amiibo unlock the link character/kart? Or release an animal crossing one with the same thing? This means the amiibo use will be really really slight.

It worries me. Now if they had one game that NEEDED the amiibo like Infinity and Skylanders, even if it was Nintendoland 2 for attractions, and then they were used in small ways in other games, I think this would be perfect! But lots of little tiny uses?! I'm not convinced. I'll get them because I want the figures, but I just feel this could be so much bigger and help drive Wii U sales then what they seem to be doing.

I'm sure THE game that requires them is coming, needs to be top quality and that takes time.

I'm just worried this is gonna be another GamePad situation, we don't see a great use of it for a long time until...

...well, nothing happens and we're all left wondering why Nintendo made it in the first place.

A Nintendo RPG where the characters you play as are dependent on the amiibo you get would be fantastic. Like others have said, I hope this doesn't turn into an attempt to simply milk more money from their fans.

I'm thinking I'll put 1 amiibo down on my Christmas list, that can go up or down depending on what info comes out in the next couple of months!

Should have been compatible with Infinity 2.0. Having Disney characters alongside Nintendo characters in the brilliant Infinity toy boxes would have been win/win for both parties. Even having some items like an Arwing or super mushrooms exclusive to the Wii U version of infinity 2.0 would have made it worthwhile.

Maybe even leveraging a couple of their characters to Skylanders (Bowser?) would have been neat too.

Nintendo have missed a trick...

Should have been compatible with Infinity 2.0. Having Disney characters alongside Nintendo characters in the brilliant Infinity toy boxes would have been win/win for both parties. Even having some items like an Arwing or super mushrooms exclusive to the Wii U version of infinity 2.0 would have made it worthwhile.

Maybe even leveraging a couple of their characters to Skylanders (Bowser?) would have been neat too.

Nintendo have missed a trick...

Yeah, they should have tried to get in with Disney Infinity and Skylanders to do cross promotion. The advantage of that is they could have created a 'need' to buy the amiibos to unlock content in games, without having a Nintendo published game requiring them to do so.

Nintendo characters in Disney Infinity or Skylanders? I'd rather wait for the dedicated Nintendo game thanks!

I'd rather wait for the dedicated Nintendo game thanks!

And in the meantime Nintendo could give people the chance to have Nintendo characters in a Skylanders/Disney Infinity game.

Would be good marketing.

What a waste of a chance.

And in the meantime Nintendo could give people the chance to have Nintendo characters in a Skylanders/Disney Infinity game.

Would be good marketing.

What a waste of a chance.

Good marketing? Why do Nintendo need to market their characters in other games? Everyone into gaming knows who they are, especially compared to Skylanders. Talk about diluting the brand. Nintendo characters in a Skylanders game sounds especially terrible IMO.

Loaning their IP out to other franchises couldn't be more opposed to how they've done things all these years so it seems strange to suggest it's a missed opportunity. It would also hurt any future dedicated amiibo game they're currently working on.

Good marketing? Why do Nintendo need to market their characters in other games?

It's not about their characters. It's about amiibo.

I'm sure amiibo will sell just fine, without needing to borrow Disney Infinity's game to do so. Plus I dread to read the abuse they would get from fickle fanboys who'd claim they can't even figure out what to do with their own toys, so need to piggyback on other franchises. Just seems a silly idea to me. Their big Nintendo RPG type game is coming, bit of patience required. In the mean time, we can use them in MK8, Smash, Captain Toad etc

But why not broaden the audience?

Why not have all the stuff you said (usage in MK8, Smash, bla) AND Skylanders/Disney Infinity?

Why does it have to be one or the other every time with Nintendo?

I suspect running a successful business is a little bit more complicated than just "throw our IP out to every franchise to help sell a few more". Nintendo's IP should be cherished, and is basically what's keeping them afloat, putting it in other third party titles would be crazy. For what purpose? To sell a handful more amiibos? Those two games are it's competition!

Those two games are it's competition!

Make them allies.

Here's a scenario: Skylanders/Disney Infinity already have a fanbase. The gamers buy amiibo.

They now own the figures - obviously...it's simple, yet important.

And down the line other games use them. New games use them. Nintendo's own games use them.

What might happen? Exactly, those who already have amiibo figures will buy these games.

And those who don't already have figures will buy them for the new games (like you said, you'd wait for Nintendo's games).

Loaning their IP out to other franchises couldn't be more opposed to how they've done things all these years...

Dat unprecedented partnership! :D

Plus, can we really expect to be ripped off by Nintendo in the same way that Skylanders/Disney Infinity do it?

Skylanders/Disney Infinity create a need for the figures because you can't play the content of the game without them. It'd be like if Smash Bros required that you had the figure to play as the character.

The amiibos as a 'platform character' would be bolstered by being in games like Skylanders/Disney Infinity where you're forced to buy them to play a part of the game.

I'll be really annoyed if Nintendo start locking out content with the amiibos in their own games. It's no different to on-disc DLC! What they're doing with Smash Bros is perfect for me, but it's not going to get the figures flying off the shelves.

On a completely unrelated/non-Amiibo associated note, how cool would a Disney/Nintendo Kingdom Hearts style game be? Cross it with something like Paper Mario or Super Mario RPG. Think it has potential.

As you were.

To be honest, no matter how disgusting the practice is, the way Disney Infinity/Skylanders make so much money is by locking content behind the toys. If the toys were just supplemental, as amiibo seems to be so far (even though that may be morally more sound) they would no way be as much of a success as they have been. I don't think it would be necessarily good for make amiibo fully compatible with Infinity/Skylanders, but if it unlocked some bonus content and some special Nintendo content, that would give extra incentive for people to both buy the figures PLUS the third party games. As it is, amiibo is an extremely unknown proposition.