NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

I neeeeeeed an Amiibo Mii!
Yeah various podcasts have mentioned the possibility of these... but with so many ways to customise Mii's, how on earth would they manufacture them without it and them being ridiculously expensive?

The more I think about it, although one game would have been great to launch with, by the time a few games are out that use it, it's going to be too much to resist... Still think more adults will buy these things than kids :)

Yeah various podcasts have mentioned the possibility of these... but with so many ways to customise Mii's, how on earth would they manufacture them without it and them being ridiculously expensive?

Possibly... But I think, whoever they've partnered with, they must say to them, look we're going to sell millions of these things, do us one favour and do bespoke mii amiibos for the same cost... The issue is a million people could ask for one....

Maybe they could put custom Mii amiibo's on the Stars catalogue to order for however many (7,000-10,000) stars or something. Make them rare.

I'd imagine the custom ones would have printed faces on generic heads and bodies. They'd only really need to modify and paint the hair and make sure the body type was correct.

Seriously doubt custom Miis will happen, maybe figures of famous ones or one-off competition winner ones. Hope I'm wrong.

You know, NINTENDO teaming up with some 3D printing company in order for you to create your Custom Mii and be able to pick it up at a gamestore would be amazing.

I feel guilty about opening them already, so looks like im going to have to buy a complete sealed set and a select few to open of my favourite characters, in summary bye bye monies :S

I don't even care how these will be used in the various compatible games (okay I care a little bit but not much beyond curiosity) - I already know I NEED ALL OF THEM!

So excited. :D

I feel guilty about opening them already, so looks like im going to have to buy a complete sealed set and a select few to open of my favourite characters, in summary bye bye monies :S

Depending on how they work you may be able to scan them in while they are still in the packaging.

Apparently these will cost 10-15 USD. Thus, I might pick one or two up just to keep in my shelf. Probably Samus and Fox, since I have old 90's toy versions of Mario, Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

Man, when I get a bigger appartment, I'll deffo get a geek-shelf, where they'll stand right next to Garus and Tali.

Shopto have a bunch up for preorder now. £12.85 each. Preordered Link, Marth, Pit and Villager so far.

Shopto have a bunch up for preorder now. £12.85 each. Preordered Link, Marth, Pit and Villager so far.

Didn't they used to be for the Wii U?

Didn't they used to be for the Wii U?

They work on both, it's just the way Shopto have them listed and I just happened to go through the 3DS side.

£180 for all of those. I'll hold out until Nintendo convince me to buy one I think!

Went ahead and pre-ordered Link, Zelda, Marth, Mario, Samus & Yoshi but I may cancel some of them closer to the date, we'll see. : peace:

I'm hoping that they might drop to a slightly more 'pocket friendly' £8.99 or something, perhaps discount for quantity or a bundle maybe? :blank:

Drawing the line at a tenner for these.

Drawing the line at never for these. They're unnecessary, they look cheap and are not very good models. It's a money grab and I'm having none of it.

Drawing the line at never for these. They're unnecessary, they look cheap and are not very good models. It's a money grab and I'm having none of it.

I won't go as far as to say never, but for me they would need to give me a good incentive for purchasing one.

At £12.50 they represent a quarter of a full retail game, so I would need to feel they represented 1/4 of a game in the games I would use them in. The smash bros element comes nowhere near that to my way of thinking, so they need to include them in more convincing ways (without killing the amiibo-less version of the game!)

Sure they are figurines as well... that may have appealed to me a decade ago, but these days... not so much.

The only thing I can think of that would convince me is substantial discounts off games that star my amiibo character as the protagonist, allowing me to largely (or perhaps completely) get my money back. That way the amiibo would act almost as a sort of character loyalty token. After all, if I do purchase an amiibo it would be a character I liked, so it's probable I would want to purchase a fair few games starring them..

The price is in line with Disney Infinity and Skylanders. The issue comes from the actual content you get for buying the toy. The other two offer new worlds and gameplay where at the moment these offer nothing really substantial.

I still maintain the figures need their own game and then allow them into other games in various ways. As it stands I can't see the appeal of them at the moment outside of that they will look nice on the shelf.

As I said they're unnecessary and it puts a needless barrier in the way of content that should be already accessible. Weren't Nintendo talking about a swipe card at the start of Wii U for using NFC? They've abandoned that and instead thought lets milk our consumers instead and get some of that gravy that Skylanders and Disney Infinity have been getting. Late to the party as always as well.

How's it going to work in multiplayer? Are you going to have to constantly interrupt the player with the gamepad every time you need to use your Amiibo? It's retarded, it's a cheap lame effort and a real nice way to treat your limited audience.

As I said they're unnecessary and it puts a needless barrier in the way of content that should be already accessible. Weren't Nintendo talking about a swipe card at the start of Wii U for using NFC? They've abandoned that and instead thought lets milk our consumers instead and get some of that gravy that Skylanders and Disney Infinity have been getting. Late to the party as always as well.

How's it going to work in multiplayer? Are you going to have to constantly interrupt the player with the gamepad every time you need to use your Amiibo? It's retarded, it's a cheap lame effort and a real nice way to treat your limited audience.

They aren't a barrier for content that should be available. That's actually the problem people have with it.

I think I'll get Link, Samus and Pit to start with.

Why not get the Trojan Horse while you're at it?

20120914-115503.jpg?w=1280

The horse walks up to the Nintendo fan and says "why the long face"?