NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Hmm, they have to be careful, fans are very outspoken about things like that... like when Forza 5 stuffed all of it's best cars etc... behind microtransactions. Obviously you can find a balance by giving people substantial content in the fist place like Disney Infinity, so yeah it depends on the game.

I just hope they don't pull the blind packs garbage they did with Pokemon Rumble.

It's an interesting topic this one and I can see where @Sheikah is coming from. Skylanders is huge and Disney wanted a slice of the pie and while I actually prefer Disney Infinity

( purely because of the characters ) it hasn't been as successful as the Skylanders franchise. Of course Disney failed by releasing figures that couldn't be played in other sets or just in the toy box mode.

Nintendo are now entering a market with 2 big hitters already in there and they will have to do something pretty special to get the kiddies on board.

In last weeks NWR podcast they were actually discussing this very topic. They said it's not enough just to put the figures out there and expect people to buy them ( like Disney ), there has to be a good hook and good gameplay modes for said figures.

I wonder if Nintendo are willing to do things like limited edition figures to make the kids go crazy and hyped? Skylanders does this very well and partner up with various retailers and fast food chains to dish out these limited editions. It keeps the craze going and the kids talking about it in the school yard.

I think as well you have to factor in the cost associated with making these, which while I don't know what it is, we could probably speculate. Serebii said something like Skylanders exclusivity would have cost Nintendo more than the entirety of the Wii U has had it flopped due to the cost of the things (which I don't think is really accurate, but I'd imagine there is at least some overhead in manufacturing these). If it didn't become popular enough, it'd probably be a loss for Nintendo and somewhat damaging.

I think as well you have to factor in the cost associated with making these, which while I don't know what it is, we could probably speculate. Serebii said something like Skylanders exclusivity would have cost Nintendo more than the entirety of the Wii U has had it flopped due to the cost of the things (which I don't think is really accurate, but I'd imagine there is at least some overhead in manufacturing these). If it didn't become popular enough, it'd probably be a loss for Nintendo and somewhat damaging.

Very true.

At this stage I think it's a risk worth taking, especially if they do utilize the figures well. My main issue/fear is that is this something Nintendo will really get behind or is it another peripheral that will get a couple of uses and then shoved aside?

If done right and supported well I think it could be something really special.

If they market it the same way they marketed Pokémon back in the day, we have a winner.

As for its potential use in Smash Bros... These figurines shouldn't be used to unlock characters, as that would essentially make them DLC (and I don't think either Sakurai or Harada would agree to that).

Unlocking modes and power-ups, though, I could see that (like those variable Mario Fireballs we saw in the SSB Direct). Make them have real value, and it wouldn't annoy the competitive crowd.

Each figure should unlock a video of Iwata cosplaying that character. I demand nothing less.

Deleted. Can't be arsed with the discussion... Another thread I dread on clicking thanks to the same culprit...

@dazzybee I never have, and likely never will, value your input on anything. You pretty much just complain about this forum non stop and never seem to actually offer up anything particularly contributory yourself.

This was in reply to his now deleted post.

@dazzybee I never have, and likely never will, value your input on anything. You pretty much just complain about this forum non stop and never seem to actually offer up anything particularly contributory yourself.

This was in reply to his now deleted post.

The people you piss off is growing and growing and grow gin, I have had people contact me and express how much you (in the main) have ruined this place, you fuck up any Wii u thread you get involved with. And when other people mention it you blame them and claim no responsibility, you are such a keyboard warrior.

Do you really not think just maybe, just MAYBE it's you that so many people get pissed off with you?

This thread should be about what they will do with the figurines, and how they'll work etc yeah success is interesting, but you literally turned it to being a failure and all about sales. I'm clearly not on my own here, but you simply make this Laplace infinitely less interesting to come to. But you keep blaming others!

What happened last week in the 3D World thread can be boiled down to a complete lack of respect for each other that has been running rife for far too long.

As a whole we're a fairly laid back and lenient site. Plenty of others would have banned people long ago for the way some people act towards each other, and many sites would have banned simply for speaking so rudely to a member of staff. Trust me, there have been times in the intervening days where I've almost logged in and banned some people. I don't think it would be without reason, it just would be without precedent.

In all the ugliness that ensued following the publishing of the review nobody commented upon any issues I raised with the content of the game, instead people were obsessing over the score. The score, which, at the end of the day, was still a bloody good score. But apparently some people had decided that it should get a 10 and it was their business to shout loud enough until we submitted.

Telling someone, anyone, their opinion is invalid simply because you don't agree with it is ridiculous in itself. Telling someone their opinion is incorrect when they have played and completed a title, while you have at best played a demo, is patently stupid. There is no other way to put it. It's just stupid. Let's take a moment to look at the dictionary definition of opinion, because some people seem to be unaware:

a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Saying other sites gave it a better score doesn't make mine somehow wrong, nor does it vindicate your pre-judged opinion. I don't agree with some of the scores of comments out there on other sites, but I don't email them telling them they're wrong, someone else should have written it and insulting them personally. Why? Well, I'm an adult for one thing, and I also appreciate other people have different opinions.

And you know what? I sent the review to Nintendo and they thanked me for a good review. If it's good enough for the people that make the game why the hell is it not good enough for you? Is your life really held together by ultimately pointless numbers attached to some text, which in no way shape or form alters your life?

I was accused of journalistic dishonesty, being anti-Nintendo (yeah I hate them, that's why I run a Nintendo site...) and of being soulless (and yes I know it wasn't serious, but at the end of the day its still a personal insult and it just added to the Katamari-ball of shit that was rolling at that point). This is no way to speak to another human being, regardless of who they are or what they do.

I spent time on that review and I know not everyone is going to agree, obviously, but to be told that I basically shouldn't have bothered because you don't like the score is purely disrespectful. If I were a lesser man I could have easily pulled the plug on this place. It's not a card I want to use lightly, nor do I have an intent to, but don't forget I am doing this off my own back (as are all the staff that help out here, site and forum) and, at times, out of my own wallet. If I were really so anti-Nintendo would I really be doing this? Ask yourself if you think I'm that much of a masochist? Perhaps I have different, or some might say higher, expectations of them as a company but that doesn't mean I hate them.

I, and the other people that dedicate their free time (with no financial gain) for this site, deserve more respect. Hell, I'm not asking you praise us, you simply treat us with the basic human respect that everyone deserves. Yet, that didn't take place. I make sacrifices for this place, not grand sacrifices that I expect to be martyred for obviously, but I sacrifice my time and to be treated in that manner makes me question why I continue to do it. Trust me, there have been times I've wanted to leave. Be it for personal or professional reasons (as at times I feel this place interferes with my career plans) but I know a lot of people enjoy coming here, enjoy interacting with others and I feel a sense of obligation and responsibility. Some people recently made me question why I bother because it feels like they don't even want to be here.

Let's get this clear once and for all. There is no giant internet anti-Nintendo conspiracy. Do you realise how FUCKING PARANOID even saying that makes you sound? Like it or not Nintendo's post-GameCube policies have fractured their existing audience, and many of us have been around since before that day. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Nobody here works for Nintendo's PR team (or any other company's PR team). You can discuss and debate until your heart's content, but you don't have to defend it with your life. The way some people go on, on all sides of the console debate, you'd think their very lives depended on it. I read some people's posts and it seems they are in pain and it makes me question why they keep bothering.

There are plenty of sites that are just dedicated and will only allow discussion on one console, or multi-console sites where things are much more segregated, but I think this place works well having people mingle. Our members may have signed up as Nintendo fans and they may not like recent decisions, which is why some "Sony Ponies" (really, are we 12?) may post in the Nintendo board. Not because they're out to get you or piss you off, because they did have a vested interest. It is not as likely (although still possible) that it works the other way around as we're not a MS/Sony forum. Yet people are frequently scared off because they dare utter an opinion others don't agree with. This has happened to many people, myself included recently, and we've lost members because of it. This can't continue.

This is a Nintendo forum, yes, but it's not an official one. Everyone doesn't need to have a PR-friendly view as long as their views are justifiable (i.e. "Nintendo is rubbish because its for kids lol" is obviously not, but saying "I think the GamePad was a bad idea because..." is a valid opinion).

Hopefully we can put this all behind us and move on, like adults. It's happened before (Wind Waker springs to mind), but it shall not happen again. No more niceities or being forgiving. This is it. This is when I start becoming more willing to ban people. The usual three warnings we give people, more than many other places would I wish to point out, will be ignored if necessary.

Other people have different opinions and if you can't get behind that, and if you can't debate products without getting personal or overtly defensive, then you will no longer have a place to come to.

It's that simple.

Eazie Lads, Eazie!

Well that's fantastic. Would read again.

Heaven knows what shade of puce he is right now.

There seems - at least at this point - to have greater potential than SkyLanders and Infinity. By having a platform crossing both 3DS and Wii U Nintendo have ensured this is more than a clone of Ubisoft; its not just relevant to any Nintendo SkyInfinity game but potentially any game - could your powered up Mario token give you a boost in ZombiU for example, or popping up as goalie in FIFA 2017? It actually gives a bit more reason - a lot more reason - to buy into these figures.

The question is do Nintendo's IP have the strength to sell the platform? I do wonder if Mario has somewhat lost his appeal outside the Nintendo fanboys. Is it enough to turn Nintendo's financials around? That's doubtful but it sounds great so far.

If brand new characters like Skylanders can take off, surely established ones like Nintendo's can.

And Nintendo have such a range, even characters a lot of people probably don't know about, there's bound to be something in there for everyone. But it depends what they use.

I just worry of Smash Brothers is the game that launches it, I just don't think it's a right fit. They need a game that really launches the figures, and the you can use the figures in smash. But forcing us to buy figures to download characters at launch woud be a bit cheeky! (Presuming that's how they use it)

I don't think Sakurai would lock characters behind NFC. Using it as an alternate unlock method? Sure.

Edited by Ike
darn auto correct

I just worry of Smash Brothers is the game that launches it, I just don't think it's a right fit. They need a game that really launches the figures, and the you can use the figures in smash. But forcing us to buy figures to download characters at launch woud be a bit cheeky! (Presuming that's how they use it)

I don't think Nintendo would even allow Sakurai to do something like that. It's so far removed from Nintendo's stand on DLC so far.

That said, Smash Bros. is the perfect game to launch it, I think. That way, they can launch figurines from several different franchises from the get-go, and see which ones resound the most with the audience. It's perfect to test the waters.

I don't think Sakurai would lock characters behind NFC. Using it as an alternate unlock method? Sure.

Man, that could be it and would be really sweet.

Players that don't like to collect and pay for figures could unlock the oldskool way.

Players that like to collect and play casually, could buy to play with unlockable characters. Win/win!

Can't believe that thought hasn't crossed my mind before... Fingers crossed!

I don't think Nintendo would even allow Sakurai to do something like that. It's so far removed from Nintendo's stand on DLC so far.

That said, Smash Bros. is the perfect game to launch it, I think. That way, they can launch figurines from several different franchises from the get-go, and see which ones resound the most with the audience. It's perfect to test the waters.

But I feel if it's not essential why would people buy them? Infinity is great as you buy toy story or whatever and you get the figures and a 10 odd hour adventure! I just think they need a game where you NEED the figures.

Man, that could be it and would be really sweet.

Players that don't like to collect and pay for figures could unlock the oldskool way.

Players that like to collect and play casually, could buy to play with unlockable characters. Win/win!

Can't believe that thought hasn't crossed my mind before... Fingers crossed!

Yeah. The unlocking of Mewtwo comes to mind... Where if you didn't have friends for multiplayer its going to be 20 hours (or however long it was) of forced tedium.

But I feel if it's not essential why would people buy them? Infinity is great as you buy toy story or whatever and you get the figures and a 10 odd hour adventure! I just think they need a game where you NEED the figures.

True, the ideal would be to make a game focused on that mechanic, but using them as a minor aspect of Smash Bros is not a bad way to test the market. Sure, it's likely to be glorified DLC, but it's a start.

Also, something I just figured out: what if the Smash Bros figurines are compatible with other games? By buying one, you get benefits for multiple games. Could work for if/when they make a proper NFC focused game, too.

Yeah. The unlocking of Mewtwo comes to mind... Where if you didn't have friends for multiplayer its going to be 20 hours (or however long it was) of forced tedium.

I just started 1:30:00 matches and let them run in the background. Only took a few days :heh:

True, the ideal would be to make a game focused on that mechanic, but using them as a minor aspect of Smash Bros is not a bad way to test the market. Sure, it's likely to be glorified DLC, but it's a start.

Also, something I just figured out: what if the Smash Bros figurines are compatible with other games? By buying one, you get benefits for multiple games. Could work for if/when they make a proper NFC focused game, too.

I just started 1:30:00 matches and let them run in the background. Only took a few days :heh:

Yeah that's what I mean exactly. A NFC figure game, and then smash uses the same figure in some cool way.

As for using them in other r games? That's the whole point of them isn't it?

Yeah that's what I mean exactly. A NFC figure game, and then smash uses the same figure in some cool way.

In that case, let's wait and see what they're going to do. Surely both of us are jumping to conclusions, as we don't know whether Smash Bros. is the only (or first) Ninty game that'll use NFC.

Each figure should unlock a video of Iwata cosplaying that character. I demand nothing less.

I hope he does videos for both Japanese & American Kirby. The Japanese one just has his all happy, giggly and shit and eating some random stuff whilst the American adaptation has him absolutely pissed and out for vengeance.

In that case, let's wait and see what they're going to do. Surely both of us are jumping to conclusions, as we don't know whether Smash Bros. is the only (or first) Ninty game that'll use NFC.

Oh absolutely. Fun to speculate though. I'll buy them either way, but just hope it fulfils its potential!