NEurope
Daft

Interstellar

Wasn't that taken by the trailer when I first saw it before Godzilla. Watched it a few more times since and I'm not really excited.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Edit: I'm going to leave the typo in but I actually meant I'm 'now really excited'. :D

Edited by Daft
Errorists were here.

I am too enthused by this film. Something Nolan does with those montages overdubbed with ominous voiceovers like the end of Dark Knight, and the first trailer for Interstellar, gets me right in the giblets.

I felt the same as Daft. Was looking forward to this but that trailer left me cold. I'm sure the film will still be awesome though.

I hadn't heard of it until this thread and I can't even watch the trailer because I'm at work but from reading Wikipedia it sounds awesome.

With Christopher Nolan directing, 3 major studios behind it and a Christmas release you can tell they're banking on it to be a big film.

I felt the same as Daft. Was looking forward to this but that trailer left me cold. I'm sure the film will still be awesome though.

Sorry, I meant to write 'Watched it a few more times since and I'm now really excited.'

That's one hell of a typo. :heh:

Yeah man, that muscle memory'll fuck you. I remember the time I tried to send a family email about my sister's birthday bunting.

Like I said in the general film thread, I didn´t watch the trailer, and I won´t if I can help it. I don't watch trailers for films I have already decided I´m going to see them, unless I stumble upon them in the cinema.

Nolan + awesome cast + sci-fi = <drool>, and that´s all the info I´ll need.

Looks like Michael Caine is going to be playing that role he plays again. I wonder if Nolan even bothers to direct him any more.

I'm excited just because it's a Nolan film, you know it's going to be the shizzle.

Exactly the same. Bound to be incredible, but damn....that's how you make a boring, shit trailer.

Just watched the trailer for the first time. I thought it was awesome, exactly my type of film.

Judging by the glimpses at the end, I think Nolan is purposefully withholding a lot of interesting stuff.

Yeah I think that only the first hour or so will be on Earth (if that), so the rest of the film will be much more interesting.

Exactly the same. Bound to be incredible, but damn....that's how you make a boring, shit trailer.

Are you insane? That is the perfect trailer. It conveys the film's tone of voice and the premise and gives nothing else away.

Edited by Daft

New trailer released for this:

HHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG! Was already sold with that first trailer but having seen this now I'm wishing November wasn't so far away! I'll admit some of the stuff in there did dampen my excitement a little bit but it still looks fantastic.

My mind was and still is very much set on seeing this on release. Don't need to see anymore so will try to stay away from any new trailers or info as much as possible.

Are you insane? That is the perfect trailer. It conveys the film's tone of voice and the premise and gives nothing else away.

I am insane yeah.

The funny thing is, I won't even watch the trailers for this anymore as I don't want to ruin anything. LOL.

Went to see this earlier. Was ok - really enjoyed the "science" part of it, even though theoretical and quantum physics make my head spin. Still understood it though...I think! But the human side of the story did very little for me. I didn't really root for any of the characters and didn't really care about humanity's impending doom.

Nowhere near Nolan's best (The Prestige and Memento) but a pretty good film nonetheless.

I thought it was really entertaining but ultimately crap. Like watching a remake of Contact. Except with less wonder and more pretty things to look at.

The soundtrack was fantastic, though.

Yeah, the score was perfect. The rest was enjoyable, but I have little urge to watch it again. Don't think they really showed enough of the earth being in peril - their journey never felt that urgent, and the crew of the ship had barely any characterisation meaning you felt very little when they were killed off.

Totally predicted Matt Damon's character being a baddie as soon as they landed on that planet. And then he beats up Cooper/steals the spaceship because he wants to go home aka exactly what Cooper wants to do?

Didn't really like that going into a black hole somehow allowed him into a strange time dimension, then it suddenly disappears once his daughter has figured out the "singularity", some complex data that somehow he communicated in morse code? He then becomes the ghost that shook Hathaway's hand, and is suddenly then dumped back by Saturn and luckily found when they build a big space colony? He then steals a ship to go find Hathaway. Shouldn't the rest of the human race be heading that way anyway - wasn't that the goal, to move to a new planet?

Ultimately, the conclusion let it down for me. Was enjoying it a lot more until that point.

I thought it was ok...

Not as good as I was expecting, but not terrible.

Definitely suffered from having too few likable characters in it (I think T.A.R.S was the only one!)

Music = good

Ending = bad

That's all I'll say for now without wrestling with spoiler tags on mobile.

What's the deal with this 70mm film then that people are masturbating over? Does it give a bigger image, or a sharper one?

Watched it yesterday. Quite liked it.

Mostly because of the accurate space travel physics. Cool stuff to see, when movies actually try to get the science right.

Black Hole aside, I mean. Everything from the moment Cooper entered the Black Hole until he came out was just incredibly convenient plot device ('Who's doing this?' 'They. From the future'). I suppose a mainstream film always needs to sneak a humane message in there.

Also, goddammit, Matt Damon. Why does he need to play a scumbag so often? A dumb scumbag at that, there was really no need for him to kill anybody, they wouldn't leave him behind if they could help it.

I've just got back from watching the film. I'll try and break it down because I'm still unsure about how I ultimately feel.

Positivies

• Beautifully filmed and wonderful visuals
  • Great soundtrack
  • Great cast
  • I thought the section on the tidal wave planet was particularly good.
  • Great turn by Matt Damon
  • Enough twists and turns to keep things interesting for the running time
  • Science. Science everywhere.

Negatives

• The biggest negative can be summed up in a few words: The book case scene (at the end). Just a step too far.
  • Sound was VERY loud and made it difficult to hear some of the intricate dialogue.
  • Running time is long, not for everybody.

On the whole, if you discount the final 15 or so minutes, the film is about a 9/10. With the ending, it's probably about a...7.5/10. Ish. Ahh, I dunno. Gravity was better.

That's pretty much exactly how I felt. EXACTLY.

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN FLINK!

I thought it was brilliant. The visuals were good, but the film really excelled in the sound department. The rumble from the speakers was very strong and made it feel like I was there. I also loved how there were still some creaks coming from the corners of the room after the main sound died down. The music was wonderful, too.

I also liked how the crew was inexperienced, and found relativity had to understand, as well as being difficult to calculate. As @Mr\-Paul said, I was very skeptical when I saw the icy planet, and the existence of these underground caves sounded incredibly fake (if it was liveable and people moved in, the ice above would get warmer, melt and kill them all) but at the time the people there were just wanted good news.

One flaw is them explaining some things way too much. They explained the "Lazarus missions" multiple times on Earth, then when they got Mann out and he explains that "you literally brought me back from the dead", Coop said "Lazarus...". Yeah, we get it. I also would have liked "them" to remain more ambiguous. Then again, it is just Cooper's theory.

Still, a great space film and a bit better than the last great realistic(ish) one I saw, Europa Report.

I overall really liked it. Some of the science / time travel stuff felt off, but I can´t tell for sure. But the atmosphere was absolutely great. The impending doom of Earth, and the loneliness of starting a most likely one-way journey to some far-off planet.. I thought that was really well done. Some amazing visuals, and a few exciting Gravity-like actionscenes. The sound was off though. Christopher Nolan has now gone public and stated it was all as intended, but I call that bullshit. I didn´t have problem understanding the dialogue, but sometimes there were rumblings that (literally) felt out of place.