NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Possible National Holiday to Promote "Britishness"

Apparently, Gordon Brown wants to have a national holiday to celebrate Britishness.

To be honest, i'm all in favour as long as it doesn't get too politically correct. It's about time we celebrated our country and be patriotic for once.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4611682.stm

What are your thoughts?

Seems fine to me, America have 101 holidays about being American. Like that one where they celebrate graciously recieving their land from the natives then stabbing them in the back so they could have the rest too... what's it called... "Thanksgiving". That's it.

Im all for it. Should be on St George's day. Afterall, many other countries have one and we should celebrate our way of life.

I'd like a day off, but don't expect me to be waving any flags or anything.

But yeah Americans do have a lot, got a calender from NY and there is a lot of public holidays in there. Lucky.

does anyone else find the idea of celebrating some sort of national identity slightly...unpleasant? all these patriotic holidays feel so morbid...its like we'll be celebrating binge drinking, sky high teenage pregnancy rates and so on....

I'd welcome the holiday. Not sure what there is to celebrate about though.

You think the Americans have alot of holidays? Spain has something like 16 per year!

Anyways, I'm all for it. Britain isn't as bad as everyone thinks, and I could do with another day off, which will probably be pissed away doing coursework anyway, but still, yay.

Another "holiday" in which i'm forced to work in busy conditions, brilliant.

Im all for it. Should be on St George's day. Afterall, many other countries have one and we should celebrate our way of life.

In that case I demand one to be on St Andrews day which the whole of Britain is forced to "celebrate" too. :)

Sounds like a good idea, it should be on St. George's day. I'm surprised that people in England celebrate more on St. Patrick's day than our own patron saint's day.

Theres no such thing as "Britishness". We are a mess of a country with poor health care, sky high illegal immigration, knocked up teenage sluts and a weak government. Bonfire night is good enough for me, if only for the fire. If someone were to blow up the houses of parliment it would be great. Of course it would be blamed on muslims even if it was white people.

im all for bank holidays and all but i dont get paid for them, which kinna sucks. The 12th day and st pats is enough gettin paraletically drunk for me in one year :D

Yes. It's time to show our British identity instead of the far-left goverment trying to get rid of it. We are a unique country with our own heritage, we should be proud of it. And if anyone isn't proud of your identity and heritage, you have been brainwashed into thinking Britain is "bad".

A bit off topic, but I once read a great book that explained that almost everything that's 'British' actually isn't at all. For example, Fish and Chips are Jewish, tea obveously, is Chinese, cockneys are mostly decended from Irish and Jewish immigrants, and Winston Chirchill was half American. I found it interesting.

Yes. It's time to show our British identity instead of the far-left goverment trying to get rid of it. We are a unique country with our own heritage, we should be proud of it. And if anyone isn't proud of your identity and heritage, you have been brainwashed into thinking Britain is "bad".

Well I'm mainly ashamed of our history. I don't take personal responsibility for it, nor do I think the Britons of today should, but I'm not proud of things like the empire and the slave trade.

That's bullshit.

Nope, the East End had Irish immigrants years and years ago, then a wave of Jewish immigrants in the 20th centuary and recently loads of Bengali immigrants. It's a really interesting part of England. Famously, there's a synagogue there that was turned into a mosque as the Bengalies came.

I thought fish and chips were French

I could be wrong on that one. I read the book a long time ago.

I'm not ashamed of being British. I am British therefore I consider Britain to be the greatest empire on this Earth, and any of the other Earths. Of course I can be considered a little biased, I'm also not clued up on my British history. But I have no convinctions in believing that whatever we did in the past, we had a bloody good reason for it. Failing that we did it because we wanted to. We're British. Nuff' Said.

but I'm not proud of things like the empire and the slave trade.

Without that we wouldn't be half of what we are today. All first-world countries have done that some point throughout they're history, some third-world countries are going through this stage at the moment.

Without that we wouldn't be half of what we are today. All first-world countries have done that some point throughout they're history, some third-world countries are going through this stage at the moment.

I know, but I'm still not proud of it, and I'd prefer us to be less developed now then to have had the slave trade and the empire. But yeah, fair enough.

Sign in to follow this