NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hogge

Emerging Market Console

So at least swedish gaming press is now reporting that Nintendo are working on a machine for emerging markets. What this means exactly is currently unclear, but I still think it'd be nice to have a thread regarding the machine. What we know is that it's going to be cost effective and adapted to people who aren't used to gaming.

I've got three ideas of what the systems could be like:

Wii

Just a Wii, with the Wiimote and everything, only made even cheaper.

Wii U with controllers

The Wii U without a tablet that we've been asking for for so long.

Brand new machine

A brand spanking new machine. Nintendo want to make their machine durable and difficult for piracy, using a solid state medium. Yes, probably cartridges. Perhaps it'll utilise Nintendos new button swapping technology, making the machine user friendly by limiting the buttons on the controller to what each game requires.

I get the impression that it will be a cheap console (perhaps Wii but with HD output) with an IR sensor so it's compatible with the Wii Fit Meter. It will also connect to the Wii Remote and Wii Fit Board.

If Nintendo really want to get into the "QoL"/Health market, the console would also be compatible with all sorts of third party fitness device. There are all sorts of these health products - creating a cheap, marketable "centralised" location for them all is something that has potential.

It should have always been the Wii Mini with a complete selection of Nintendo Selects titles which would have then been marketed at a very cost competitive price in various emerging markets around the world (Primarily Brazil and China). It could have worked so well and introduced a whole new market to Nintendo's IP, even if they would have had to swallow some of the costs.

Honestly I think that ship has began to sail unfortunately. The Wii Mini should have never been released in existing markets. Piracy may have been a problem, but then the PS2 managed to thrive in Brazil, where bootlegs abound.

Edited by Tamazoid

This is an interesting rumour, if true. It actually sounds far more ambitious than what any other company is doing.

The main reason Latin America isn't a viable market right now (and also the reason why piracy is so widespread) it's because prices on electronic goods are inflated beyond belief, there.

Nintendo would need to do something cheap to make it actually accessible (because seriously, if all they do is make an "unpirateable" machine, it's just going to bomb). Of course, there are cases like the Master System becoming popular in Brazil for years, so there's still potential, even as things stand now.

Another option is to negotiate a change of mindset with various local governments/authorities before trying anything, but that's essentially inviting the competition to flood the gates as well.

These videos are relevant to this discussion. These guys get a lot of things right about those markets:

It's not a rumour, they mentioned it in the briefing with particular research into china.

This is an interesting rumour, if true. It actually sounds far more ambitious than what any other company is doing.

The main reason Latin America isn't a viable market right now (and also the reason why piracy is so widespread) it's because prices on electronic goods are inflated beyond belief, there.

Nintendo would need to do something cheap to make it actually accessible (because seriously, if all they do is make an "unpirateable" machine, it's just going to bomb). Of course, there are cases like the Master System becoming popular in Brazil for years, so there's still potential, even as things stand now.

Another option is to negotiate a change of mindset with various local governments/authorities before trying anything, but that's essentially inviting the competition to flood the gates as well.

If you want to crack Brazil, you'd have to open a factory and produce the console locally, thus eliminating import taxes and the like so you can sell your product at a competitive price point. Which is why I think they should have started producing Wii Minis in a place like Brazil to capitalise on such a growing market. From memory the tax on luxury export goods is something ridiculous like 200%.

I was going to say a thing about the iQue Player but was too late :) It could be a similar thing. Like a Wii repackaged for Chinese market.

I was going to say a thing about the iQue Player but was too late :) It could be a similar thing. Like a Wii repackaged for Chinese market.

It's got to be a repackaged Wii, Nintendo'd have nothing to do except release old games and reap the profits. Don't charge too much though because piracy is so rife in China. I just have a hard time imagining who would buy games over here, when everybody copies openly. You can buy copied games at Game Stores for heck's sake.

@Tamazoid: I keep hearing that home appliances are so ridiculously expensive in Brazil, they end up creating more financial woes than the rent, heating or cars!

It's got to be a repackaged Wii, Nintendo'd have nothing to do except release old games and reap the profits. Don't charge too much though because piracy is so rife in China. I just have a hard time imagining who would buy games over here, when everybody copies openly. You can buy copied games at Game Stores for heck's sake.

It's a very similar thing in Latin America.

However, the Master System sold for years in Brazil, and I heard plenty of tales of Arcade stores still being popular in Spanish-speaking countries. Essentially, business models with cheap options can still work in those markets, as they clearly are willing to pay fair prices (for them).

That said, I don't know to which extent Chinese society is different.

Nintendo does do legal business in Taiwan though. Wii has a few games translated into traditional Chinese (it was probably their test run), and 3DS is their main product with multiple games in Chinese for it. What's absolutely amazing is that 3DS has six region locks, and Taiwan/HK is one of them... I bet most people have a Japanese 3DS for games...

Nintendo does do legal business in Taiwan though. Wii has a few games translated into traditional Chinese (it was probably their test run), and 3DS is their main product with multiple games in Chinese for it. What's absolutely amazing is that 3DS has six region locks, and Taiwan/HK is one of them... I bet most people have a Japanese 3DS for games...

Futen Nintendo (aka Nintendo of Taiwan) has just folded, and the Hong Kong branch has taken over it's duties. The problem Nintendo has with Taiwan is cultural and social. The way the Taiwanese bring their children up is school intensive. The vast majority of children start school at 7:30am, after school are shipped to Cram schools, until 9:00pm. Most children don't play CG's due to a lack of time. The school I teach at has over 500 students, and only 1 boy has a 3DS, and another a Vita (2 out of 540). The Wii was popular with families, but when bought at a Games Store, that store then offers to chip it for extra and will supply the copied games to you. I just couldn't see how Nintendo was making money on games here. BTW the Wii U does not exist in Taiwan, unless you import from Japan. Gaming is such a small market here, except Cellphone games.

In addition, the region locking of HK/Taiwan is weird, in that a Japanese Wii will play Taiwanese games, and vice versa. The operating system is localised, but the games are interchangeable throughout those 2 regions. I had a Japanese Wii, whilst my family here had a Taiwanese one, we used to swap games regularly between regions.

Sign in to follow this