NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

NFC-style Nintendo game(s) incoming

34l.jpg

More details coming at E3. IR Dongle for 3DS releasing as well. Will allow Nintendo characters to function across multiple games. Figures can be used across WiiU and 3DS

38.jpg

Goodbye monies!

Edited by tapedeck

Figures? Where did you see those????:confused:

Well I didn't mean that we've seen all, I was referring to the Mario one seen above

Well I didn't mean that we've seen all, I was referring to the Mario one seen above

Ah, I figured that was just artwork...! :indeed:

That is to say, you will be able to customize your NFP to raise or train your own Nintendo characters, for example.

Now this sounds interesting. Imagine levelling up your Mario figurine in something like Mario Golf and then having those stats actually being reflected in a completely different game like Smash Bros or Mario Kart! (as a "Draw" character in MG, you'd be better at turning right than left in MK or you'd be faster moving right than left in Smash for example.)

That would be a nice Nintendo-like twist on the concept :)

Also...

NFP is going to be compatible with Wii U software from this year-end, and compatible with both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS software from next year

First game to use the figures is Wii U only (coming this year) and then games that use the figures coming out next year will be for both consoles.

Edited by Dcubed

In a way, all games could have a bonus that uses the characters, and even 3rd parties could use it. In big and small ways... At least it's a different take on it... Wonder how much presence this will get at e3...

Now this sounds interesting. Imagine levelling up your Mario figurine in something like Mario Golf and then having those stats actually being reflected in a completely different game like Smash Bros or Mario Kart! (as a "Draw" character in MG, you'd be better at turning right than left in MK or you'd be faster moving right than left in Smash for example.)

That would be a nice Nintendo-like twist on the concept :)

Also...

First game to use the figures is Wii U only (coming this year) and then games that use the figures coming out next year will be for both consoles.

I like your Nintendo twist, but I can't imagine that happening unfortunately :(

Bet it'll be some kind of save game mechanic or customisation settings.

Edited by markderoos

Wait this is for Wii U AND 3DS... :blank:

... with Super Smash Bros due out on both formats? :indeed:

I think we all know what's going to happen here. ;)

Wait this is for Wii U AND 3DS... :blank:

... with Super Smash Bros due out on both formats? :indeed:

I think we all know what's going to happen here. ;)

The 3DS game comes out next year and it's completely separate from this new game for Wii U that is coming out this year... (figurines are going to be used across multiple games to be released in the future)

... so it's not Smash Bros 3DS (Smash Bros Wii U on the other hand...)

The repercussions might be huge here.

Adding famed IP to titles that may not traditionally sell well could be a good move for titles that have traditionally struggled to gain traction due to unrecognisable branding.

This approach also gives a sense of ownership to an individual character. Smash Bros. is the obvious franchise yet this could widen Nintendo's portfolio.

And yet they are leaning on their franchises more than ever, adding fuel to the dire that Nintendo aren't creating new franchises.

This is a huge announcement and who knows how it will be met. I'm not keen on having more 'toys' in my house, but if it allows for more software to emerge then it can only be a good thing.

Really fascinating move by Nintendo in my opinion.

This has potential to be really cool.

Hope they'll unveil games and "toys" at E3. If they do it right, I'll have a shelf full of Nintendo stuff. I've allways wanted to have Samus, but Zelda characters, the Arwing etc would be nice to have as well.

Regarding...

38.jpg

I think it's fairly likely we'll see an updated 3DS at some point this year, with NFC built-in.

Regarding...

38.jpg

I think it's fairly likely we'll see an updated 3DS at some point this year, with NFC built-in.

Or a pack-in game?

I think this would work amazingly for sports games. Imagine something like the following:

$T2eC16h,!w0E9szN,9h6BQ+VZGBYs!~~60_35.JPG

It would be great to have something like Mario strikers where you can add to your team. Then there are Mii's as well. Imagine being able to create your own Mii in store and have a model of it. I think Nintendo would do well to release a Wii sports-type game too. Have the GamePad flat with the figure on it and it unlocks a game. Could be a tennis racquet and bat. Linking to the trophies in smash could indicate a future direction.

Further ideas could be a boardgame. The GamePad sits on the floor with the 'active' player's character on the GPad and the touch screen is used to manipulate the board. There' small kinds they can do. E3 just got a whole lot more interesting! :awesome:

Regarding...

38.jpg

I also guessed this in the sales thread, but I'm now on the fence because even if it does get built in, how's it going to work in a way that isn't counter intuitive? I'm stuck for ideas.

As much as I love the 3DS, it is seeming like the worst thought out gaming handheld thus far from Nintendo haha. If only rhe NFC reader was something you could attach to the console, we'd be seeing comparison pictures between the 3DS and the Sega Megadrive heh

It´s cool news, but I hope that:

A] They use a good Japanese figure company. There are plenty to choose from, but still.. I´d like something like Goodsmile´s Nendoroids, except smaller and without the joints.

B] A uniform style. This is important, as this is probably one of the reasons Disney Infinity is doing so well. The figures look great, but they´re also in the same cartoony style, which makes it more inviting to collect the others. Imagine if Jack Sparrow was made to more resemble his actual film counterpart?

Combining A & B, I´d like to see some chibi forms of Nintendo characters, but not too exagerated. Again, the Nendoroids are a good reference as far as I´m concerned.

It´s cool news, but I hope that:

A] They use a good Japanese figure company. There are plenty to choose from, but still.. I´d like something like Goodsmile´s Nendoroids, except smaller and without the joints.

B] A uniform style. This is important, as this is probably one of the reasons Disney Infinity is doing so well. The figures look great, but they´re also in the same cartoony style, which makes it more inviting to collect the others. Imagine if Jack Sparrow was made to more resemble his actual film counterpart?

Combining A & B, I´d like to see some chibi forms of Nintendo characters, but not too exagerated. Again, the Nendoroids are a good reference as far as I´m concerned.

Well, this is seemingly a photo of one of the figures, and not art, so it's definitely interesting. Looks great :)

34l.jpg

I was personally hoping that is just an example picture. If it´s not.. In itself it doesn't look that bad (doesn´t look great either), but again, I wonder how it´ll look alongside figures of other games. But I guess we´ll just have to wait until we get some production sample shots at least. At the very least, they should flatten the base.

That's not Mario from Smash though, so it kinda rule out it being used in that game, however likely that was to be.

Also, don't forget the size of these figures. Consider the size of the 3DS portal and the NFC part of the GamePad. They're going to be small, like the Rumble U ones

This seems like a sensible way to leverage their brand - there's so much god damn money in these things it's unreal.

Sign in to follow this