NEurope
Grazza

Eurovision 2014

I was rooting for the Netherlands, but Austria's wasn't a bad winner.

Though it is pretty obvious she got most of her points thanks to her... looks.

Did I see wrong, or did landlocked (by Italy) San Marino give 0 points to Italy?

If true, then that's another oddity: Portugal gave 0 points to Spain and Ukraine.

Was a bit hectic at the end, but I remember voting for a number of nations in a frenzy at the end.

The right winner won. I'm happy that The Netherlands came second, they were my overall favourite act. Can't believe the UK didn't get more points. Best song we've had for years, but the competition was tougher this year. Is it just me, or was the quality pretty decent this time around?

France, though. Was a bididn't think that they would finish last.

You/UK( had the best song you have sent in decades. Too bad about the competition. Keep sending songs like that.

I was rooting for the Netherlands, but Austria's wasn't a bad winner.

Though it is pretty obvious she got most of her points thanks to her... looks.

If true, then that's another oddity: Portugal gave 0 points to Spain and Ukraine.

I definitively noticed that one. I thought 12 points from Portugal to Spain was a given. And their song was pretty good too.

Edited by Tales
Automerged Doublepost

Netherlands got my lowest score, it was awful.

I wanted either Iceland, Armenia or Denmark to win.

You/UK( had the best song you have sent in decades. Too bad about the competition. I can't actually remember the Netherlands, but overall western Europe did pretty well this year.

It was a massive improvement over last year and we didn't disgrace ourselves with a bad song. Build on that for next year. :D

Netherlands got my lowest score, it was awful.

I wanted either Iceland, Armenia or Denmark to win.

U WOT M8?

Don't make me go 4-2-4 Very Offensive, Wing Plays on your arse.

Armenia's song was good. I'm listening to it right now on Youtube. :D

I'm so happy Austria won and not because it was a bearded man dressed in a frock but because he/she genuinely had an awesome voice and the song's awesome too. I was going to bet on it but I listened to other people saying how it was rigged. I was going to bet on Austria, Netherlands, Romania and Sweden! I bloody wished I did now!

But yeah, as I said above, I disagree with him/her getting the crown because of his/her appearance, I genuinely thought he/she had an awesome voice and honestly, I would actually pay to buy that song. I'm going to get this year's album anyway because I thought the quality of the songs in an awful lot of them were great. The only one that was awful was France! France were terrifically shit, I'm shocked they even got 2 points and that's no joke either! I phoned my only mate who watches Eurovision and I just shouted down the phone: "STOP TRYING TO MAKE MOUSTACHE HAPPEN, FRANCE, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!" and he pissed himself laughing.

Awesome performances from everyone but France and that woman who was something along the lines of "Who am I? Who are you?" or something, that was tragic too. I'm surprised that UK didn't get more though, I liked the song!

Thought it was an excellent show last night and I enjoyed all the songs much more than in the semi-finals (familiarity, I suppose). Really enjoyed Greece a lot more (very lively and pumping), but Hungary became my favourite with its drum & bass beat. Worthy winner from Austria too - good song and great vocals.

Loved Poland's entry, and how Graham Norton referred to it as "a feminist anthem"! Also really cracked me up when the cameraman went into his cabin after he'd been taking the mickey out of the presenters. Felt a bit sorry for him being singled-out, but also a ripple of pride at our commentator being the most stand-out!

Personally I'm not clear on why a shit James Bond theme won. Because beard?

@Daft says "Yes."

He didn't hack my account

That's what I want you to think.

The level of transphobia I've seen related to Austria's entry on the web has really schocked and disturbed me...

Which is somewhat weird, considering this isn't the first time a Transsexual wins Eurovision, either.

Then again, I don't think that winner had a beard.

I don't think it's transphobia. I think it's more trans ignorance.

I have always wondered why Eurovision songs are always kind of lame.

Where are the build ups?

Where are the piano/guitar solos?

Where is the music?

Edited by Fused King

I don't care about the trans aspect, but I still think the beard just did not suit the character. Good voice though.

Where are the build ups?

Where are the paino/guitar solos?

Where is the music?

Agreed. I think there must be some sort of rule stating that all entries must be incredibly bland.

I don't care about the trans aspect, but I still think the beard just did not suit the character. Good voice though.

Why do you think it was a 'character act' and not the expression of her regular preferred appearance?

Why do you think it was a 'character act' and not the expression of her regular preferred appearance?

Because...

Thomas "Tom" Neuwirth (born 6 November 1988), better known as the drag persona Conchita Wurst, is an Austrian singer. Wurst represented Austria and won the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark. The singer uses female pronouns for self description when in the role of Wurst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conchita_Wurst

Has he stated otherwise somewhere?

I don't get why everybody is talking about transsexuals. This is a male singer who dresses up as a woman as part of his act. Nothing new.

Whatever the case, the reactions of some of the Russian authorities have been pretty damn ridiculous.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin wrote on Twitter that the Eurovision result "showed supporters of European integration their European future: a bearded girl." "There's no limit to our outrage. It's the end of Europe. It has turned wild. They don't have men and women any more. They have 'it'," nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky told Rossiya-1 state television. "Fifty years ago the Soviet army occupied Austria. We made a mistake in freeing Austria. We should have stayed," added the leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, known for his outrageous statements.

http://www.afp.com/en/news/eurovision-win-austria-drag-queen-sparks-anger-russia

Yeah, the world is gonna end now, a drag performer won. Like seriously...

And the award for Post of the Year (and most bookmarked picture) goes to....

nK0WIaN.gif

:p

I don't get why everybody is talking about transsexuals. This is a male singer who dresses up as a woman as part of his act. Nothing new.

This annoys me a little as well. Why are people saying he's transwhatever? Why can he not just be a man who enjoys dressing up in frocks and putting make-up on? Not all men who like to wear women's clothes are trans.

Whatever the case, the reactions of some of the Russian authorities have been pretty damn ridiculous.

Yeah, the world is gonna end now, a drag performer won. Like seriously...

Wow, what idiots! These are the type of people who need to be tied up on a chair and sit through endless drag queen acts. Why can't people just leave other people alone to their happiness? :(

To me it was a show of support from Europe that Austria won, with the amount of furore from countries such as Russia about the singer. It was a good song, although I think there were a few that were much better. While there was still much biased voting, I thought there was less this year than in previous (there have been examples in this thread already). Plus the upper half of the table had the right songs.

Shame the UK entry didn't get higher, but I think Molly did an excellent job with a good song and should be proud of that.

Where are the build ups?

Where are the paino/guitar solos?

Where is the music?

I checked up, and the rules state that songs must not exceed three minutes. Because of this, I think a lot of them are just: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, and don't include a bridge.

On an unrelated note, the more I listen to Poland's, the more I like it. The gimmick drew me in, but it's genuinely a good song. I've just seen it was the British public's favourite as well, but our jury gave it no points. There's definitely an argument that Eurovision juries are too political and out of touch. Might as well get rid of them and leave it to the public, in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27371264

This annoys me a little as well. Why are people saying he's transwhatever? Why can he not just be a man who enjoys dressing up in frocks and putting make-up on? Not all men who like to wear women's clothes are trans.

That's where you got your definition of trans wrong. The trans label refers to transgender, transsexual and transvestite. If he dresses up as a woman, he's a transvestite, and because he's operating in female gender norms, he's a transgender.

While it may be an "act", it doesn't mean he doesn't think of it as part of himself and his identity. I don't know if he's specified it's not an act, but I don't think you can say something doesn't fit his act. Unless he specifically says he wants to appear like a stereotypical woman, then he can have any type of gender expression in his act.

I really enjoyed the show this year; a lot of good entries. My favourite was Switzerland; the whistling, the violin ... it was just a friggin' happy song! :D

Regarding the winner, I'm a bit ambivalent. While it's hard not to admire the amount of support for Austria's entry and the message behind it, I feel it won for the wrong reason; it was a great song sung by a great singer, but it seems undeniable that it won for political reasons. Then again, I guess politics have been a problem with the Eurovision for a long time now. I was also quite shocked that people were booing the Russian performers, as if they could be held responsible for Russia's policies.

That's where you got your definition of trans wrong. The trans label refers to transgender, transsexual and transvestite. If he dresses up as a woman, he's a transvestite, and because he's operating in female gender norms, he's a transgender.

While it may be an "act", it doesn't mean he doesn't think of it as part of himself and his identity. I don't know if he's specified it's not an act, but I don't think you can say something doesn't fit his act. Unless he specifically says he wants to appear like a stereotypical woman, then he can have any type of gender expression in his act.

Oh! Thanks for that! I didn't know what he/she wanted to be called either which is why I put "he/she" or "him/her". I do wonder though: What if he doesn't think of it as his identity or as part of himself, would he be just a man dressed in women's clothes or would he still be transvestite regardless of whether it's his identity or part of himself? (I'm sorry, I'm not good with these names and labels)

I really enjoyed the show this year; a lot of good entries. My favourite was Switzerland; the whistling, the violin ... it was just a friggin' happy song! :D

Regarding the winner, I'm a bit ambivalent. While it's hard not to admire the amount of support for Austria's entry and the message behind it, I feel it won for the wrong reason; it was a great song sung by a great singer, but it seems undeniable that it won for political reasons. Then again, I guess politics have been a problem with the Eurovision for a long time now. I was also quite shocked that people were booing the Russian performers, as if they could be held responsible for Russia's policies.

I thought the show was great as well. I'll tell you something else as well: I heard the album on Spotify before watching half of the acts and Austria stood out to me then as well as a few other countries such as Greece, Armenia and Romania. It's a great song, I love it and that dude/chick has an awesome voice. I'm not surprised Austria won though but I could see a little bit of politics going on. Personally, I think it deserved to win through it's song.