NEurope
MoogleViper

In the Flesh

20gmxhl.jpg

Has anybody seen this? The second series had just started (first was only 3 episodes).

It's set in the aftermath of the zombie rising; where the "zombies" are treated, and returned back to society (know as Partially Deceased Syndrome sufferers). The series follows Kieren Walker, a PDS sufferer (or "rotter"), who returns to his family in a rural village.

I think it's pretty good; an interesting take on the zombie uprising. Anybody else seen it? Care to discuss?

The second series is on iPlayer. I'm sure you're all aware of how to see the first series.

It looks interesting. I might acquire access to the first season and have a look. How many episodes is the second season?

It looks interesting. I might acquire access to the first season and have a look. How many episodes is the second season?

Only 1 so far, although Wikipedia makes it seem like there'll be 6.

I love this show. The first series was so cool and I'm loving the first episode of the second series. The second series is double the first so we have 6 episodes in the second series. I'm very happy! :D

I'm sure you're all aware of how to see the first series.

Say no more my friend! Off to iPlayer I go. :)

I watched it. It's an interesting and unique take on the zombie trend, and I liked how the first season's main story arc was self-contained. The little strings they left with Amy and the Undead Prophet felt a little underdeveloped however as I couldn't find myself caring to see what'll happen to them once the season ended. Based on what I've seen this looks like it was supposed to be a one-off series, and the subplot with the ULA was just there in case the series got renewed.

Other than that, there were a lot of things going on in my mind while I watched it:

1. They have blu-ray players, the internet, and broadcast TV, but why are there no cellphones? I know they're supposed to be a little hick town in the countryside but even rural villages in a third-world country like mine have basic 3G reception.

2. Why didn't anyone call the police when Ken's wife was murdered? Why didn't that happen when Ken got revenge by murdering Bill? That diabetic guy may have claimed to have told Ken he "saw nothing" after he witnessed the murder but if there was any formal police investigation it still would have pinned him as the murderer since he was the only one (besides Ren at least) with a motive to kill Ben.

Speaking of which, why wasn't there an investigation for Rick's murder? When I saw the scene where Kieren discovers his body and takes out the knife from his head my first thoughts were "oh shit, now he's got his fingerprints on the murder weapon," but then Ken's mother grabs it and my thoughts continue along those lines until they all got fucked when I realized there wasn't going to be any sort of resolution to these murders.

Also, when Ken gets killed in the opening scene of season 2 (where I think they retconned his character to make him have a son too young for a man his age), why didn't anyone go for the emergency break? Wouldn't that have stopped the tram and opened the doors or something?

3. Like The Walking Dead, the abilities of the undead aren't consistent. At least that's what it looks like because the series hasn't given me an adequate explanation of how zombies work in this universe. All I know of them is that their bites don't turn you and they have the mental capacity to hunt in packs. This "hunting" thing seemed a little silly to me though, because in Ren's flashbacks we see him and Amy killing the Lisa character (I think that was her name) by grabbing her arms and slamming her head against a shelf. All that just seems really out of character for a zombie to do since they don't do anything besides lunge at you and try to bite their way through your flesh.

What makes it even more inconsistent is that when we first see the "rabbid" zombies, they're all walking slowly and shambling about like the ones in The Walking Dead (as seen in the scenes featuring the father and daughter zombies living in Rick and Ren's cave, and the zombie that attacked Maxine's host). But later on we see them having the ability to run fast and "rage" like the zombies from 28 Days Later. Unless there are two types of zombies in this universe (which the show hasn't bothered explaining), it sounds like the level of the threat they pose is directly related to how convenient it would be for the plot.

Furthermore, when Ren first meets Amy and stabs her, she doesn't feel pain. This is an indirect way of showing us that along with other bodily functions, PSD sufferers don't feel pain. So why is it then that Kieren says he "can't feel pain" in the beginning of season 2, even though we've seen him feel hurt whenever he takes his medication during season 1?

4. In the scene where the Maxine's host gets attacked while feeding her pet, why doesn't her husband immediately spring into action and go out to save her? If my wife was being attacked by a zombie, I'd run out to save her, not waste precious seconds talking nonchalantly to some woman I never met before about where I keep the power tools. Retarded scenes like this are what break the immersion for me.

5. Other than the UK apparently being divided over the issue, why are we not told more specific details about PSD laws and policies? It sounds like the initial government program that made them sentient again and treat them with medication chose to treat them that way because they still retained their civil rights. And yet in the next season we learn that the punishment for murdering an undead person can vary depending on the presiding judge. What gives? It makes it sound like all this stuff with the bureaucracy and the ULA are being made up as the story goes along.

6. How are we led to believe that the existence of the undead hasn't done anything to impact skepticism regarding world religions?

I stopped watching because of the inconsistencies @Arab freak mentions, it was all over the place and unexplained in so many ways, the little details can be ignored, but multiple little things snow ball into a big problem for a show like this, it leads to inconsistent mythos and lots of retcons if it survives a few series