Run-down

Nintendo Digital Event presentation: June 10th 9am PDT

Smash Bros Invitational at E3 - Tournament for thousands

Smash Bros Wii U Demo at Best Buy in America

Nintendo Treehouse Live: Daily streams of stuff from the show floor

And, best of all:

NOA actually did something humoruous

Press Release

PLAY NINTENDO: NEW GAMES, NEW EVENTS AND LIVE, NONSTOP PROGRAMMING ON TAP FOR E3 2014

Super Smash Bros. Tournament Highlights Nintendo’s E3 Approach

REDMOND, Wash., April 29, 2014 – Over the last few years, Nintendo has repeatedly reinvented its approach to E3 by creating unique ways to break news and get fans at home involved in the fun, while also offering great experiences for on-site attendees. That mission continues in 2014 as Nintendo offers a series of new channels to communicate news directly to its key audiences, including fans, media, analysts, investors and business partners. This includes a new format for unveiling news: the Nintendo Digital Event; a Super Smash Bros. tournament; a full slate of live, in-depth game demos from the Nintendo booth; and an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for the first time at their local Best Buy.

"We demonstrated last year that we are never afraid to reinvent a proven tactic or to break completely new ground if we believe it will provide the best experience for our fans, followers and partners," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and chief operating officer. "So, whether you're attending E3 in person or joining online, there's an amazing lineup of games, experiences and events coming your way."

At E3 2014, Nintendo will offer four unique experiences, all under the unifying banner of "Play Nintendo."

Super Smash Bros. Invitational

2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.

Nintendo Digital Event

Every year, Nintendo looks for the best way to show its games and share its news with fans, media and other key audiences. In 2013, Nintendo decided to forgo a traditional press conference and use a video – in that case a Nintendo Direct – to share its news from E3. The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the "Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program that will reveal and provide further detail about the gaming experiences on the way for Nintendo platforms in 2014 and beyond. The Nintendo Digital Event will air at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 10.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3

This year, Nintendo will offer fans a deeper look at Nintendo's biggest games of E3, with information directly from the source. The "Treehouse," the Product Development department at Nintendo of America, will provide in-depth game demos live and unscripted from Nintendo's booth. This new program will be live streamed during all hours of the E3 show. Fans can get settled in, open their browsers and experience the Nintendo games at E3 like never before.

Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy

In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I actually loved that! Nintendo is putting out a very cool vibe at the moment, so it bodes well for E3.

I actually loved that! Nintendo is putting out a very cool vibe at the moment, so it bodes well for E3.

It's just a shame they've gone for a digital event again rather than a conference.

I'm waiting for the "Nintendo skips E3" crap again. They needed the conference for the media to give a crap. As @Goron_3 has said, it's all about image, unfortunately, and Nintendo skipping the middleman again causes the middleman to get annoyed and thus the cycle begins again.

Made me smile.

I thought for sure for just a moment they were going to announce a Smash Bros. demo, but nope. Best Buy event. Hope they include other countries.

"Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program

Curious to what this means? Doesn't sound like it will be a typical Nintendo Direct. Almost sounds like they will just show trailers/info videos without any extra "fluff".

Did I miss the funny...?

And dear lord we're going to have to listen to Americans pronounce "Nokia" again. One of the worst things about E3 :heh:

Did I miss the funny...?

And dear lord we're going to have to listen to Americans pronounce "Nokia" again. One of the worst things about E3 :heh:

0358_snjh3.gif

Curious to what this means? Doesn't sound like it will be a typical Nintendo Direct. Almost sounds like they will just show trailers/info videos without any extra "fluff".

I've got a feeling they will simulate a stage show, so it's a bit more of an event than a normal Nintendo Direct.

Two thoughts:

The 16 man invitational sounds really interesting...Does this suggest that they are inviting the 'pros' to play? Because if so that is a HUGE step from nintendo, who don't ackowledge support the Smash community at all. Honestly, if they invite the likes Mew2King, Mango etc, it will have a huge knock on effect and galvanise sales and hype for the game as it'll imply that it's both a great party game but also (unlike Brawl) a terrific fighting game. Given the amount of views that Apex and other tournaments generated, this will be HUGE.

No conference.

This is disappointing but I'm not too surprised. I can't imagine they've got much to announce in collaboraiton with 3rd parties and to excite potential partners. They know the awful situation they are in with Wii U and I think it's clear their thinking 'we can only show what WE are funding/developing, so there can't be a conference'. It seems that they are ackonwledging that it's too late for the Wii U to impress the wider industry and building support and partners. Oh well.

The thing that's interesting is that they are using the Nokia Theater for the Smash Bros. Invitational. I'm wondering if they'll just show the Nintendo Digital Event there for the media and then lead into it.

I gene newly don't think the lack of a press conference has any affect on many thing barring the joy of the moment watching. Publishers aren't going to think - well they never did a conference so let's not release games on the system. People watching consumer wise will be gamers who again won't base their decisions on this. And ultimately, it'll still get press on the games and announcements it gets. It's disappointing, but won't make too much of a difference, but nintendos used to know how to put on a show so its disappointing... As long as they bring the games I don't care!

I gene newly don't think the lack of a press conference has any affect on many thing barring the joy of the moment watching. Publishers aren't going to think - well they never did a conference so let's not release games on the system. People watching consumer wise will be gamers who again won't base their decisions on this. And ultimately, it'll still get press on the games and announcements it gets. It's disappointing, but won't make too much of a difference, but nintendos used to know how to put on a show so its disappointing... As long as they bring the games I don't care!

For us gamers at home, I completely agree :)

I gene newly don't think the lack of a press conference has any affect on many thing barring the joy of the moment watching.

Nice to meet you Gene Newly :)

Everything sounds good (especially for the Americans..), but I really do not like the idea of not having a conference. People may find the idea stupid, but seriously, most of the enjoyment from E3 is the audience reactions and Nintendo had some good moments in the past. It's all been said before by others though, so I'll leave it there heh.

For us at home, conferences don't necessarily make a difference; all we need to know about are the games and other stuff to get us hyped.

Conferences, as mentioned in my other thread, serve a wider purpose in the industry. It's not just about 'getting people hyped' or whatever, it's about convincing people that your horse is the one to bet on (I'm not saying conferences are the only way to do this, but they are the best way, for sure). It's the same for any industry, not just gaming. It's the same reason why Formula 1 teams invite potential sponsors to GP's so they can hear the cars..it develops a sense of 'buy in' from them.

Of course, I think it's obvious that it's too late for Nintendo to build those partner relationships for Wii U now, so I can see why they've taken this approach.

Oh and the Smash thing is seriously the best fucking news ever.

Edit. Also, @Serebii, can you please stop posting on GAF that E3 has become all about the image? That's laughable.

Edited by Goron_3

I think the excitement of watching a Live press conference compared to a Pre-recorded 'Direct' does have a different feel. Just not knowing which developers might come out from backstage, trying to gauge the audiences and how well it's going down/things are being recieved... will there be one last announcement etc... The lights dimming for trailers, an orchestra... Will Shigsy spring a surprise appearance in a Link costume...

Ultimately it's a lot more fun and a more social experience. And that's fundamentally what gaming is about.

Edit. Also, @Serebii, can you please stop posting on GAF that E3 has become all about the image? That's laughable.

I will when it stops being true :p

I will when it stops being true :p

But E3 has ALWAYS been about image, which comes from a combination of engagement with the audience, games that you show off and reveals. In fact, you could argue that it's LESS about image now now that we have the internet and have access to other events throughout the year (Nintendo Directs, etc). If it wasn't about image, companies wouldn't go there and spend tens of millions setting up the event.

The lack of a presentation last year in one of, but not the only, reason why no one left E3 last year excited about Nintendo. E3 has never, and will never be, solely about letting journalists and the public play demos, it's about showing the world your strategy and vision for a console and system, like Nintendo did so successfully with the Wii in 06 and 3DS in 2011. To say it's become 'about image' shows a completely lack of understanding about the value of E3 and why its important..listen to any podcast featuring those that were at E3 last year and they'll say the same. If it was just about demos and games, they could organise something else throughout the year...

Anyway, there's another thread about that and I thought I explained it pretty well on there.

I'm hyped for this Smash thing man...NoA have been pretty terrible with their PR over the last 2 or 3 years but they really nailed it this time...Exciting times ahead :) Although I do wish the Smash thing was happening in the U.K too lol.

No conference :( Noooooooooooooooooo.

Smash Bros. Tournament. Yeeeeeeeeeeees.

"I'm glad Nintendo is going out in a blaze of dementia" is my favourite response to this so far.

But E3 has ALWAYS been about image, which comes from a combination of engagement with the audience, games that you show off and reveals. In fact, you could argue that it's LESS about image now now that we have the internet and have access to other events throughout the year (Nintendo Directs, etc). If it wasn't about image, companies wouldn't go there and spend tens of millions setting up the event.

The lack of a presentation last year in one of, but not the only, reason why no one left E3 last year excited about Nintendo. E3 has never, and will never be, solely about letting journalists and the public play demos, it's about showing the world your strategy and vision for a console and system, like Nintendo did so successfully with the Wii in 06 and 3DS in 2011. To say it's become 'about image' shows a completely lack of understanding about the value of E3 and why its important..listen to any podcast featuring those that were at E3 last year and they'll say the same. If it was just about demos and games, they could organise something else throughout the year...

Anyway, there's another thread about that and I thought I explained it pretty well on there.

I'm hyped for this Smash thing man...NoA have been pretty terrible with their PR over the last 2 or 3 years but they really nailed it this time...Exciting times ahead :) Although I do wish the Smash thing was happening in the U.K too lol.

But the people who actually went to the Nintendo booth on the show floor did come out all positive. It's just people on the Internet who feel it's all about the conference who did not.

"I'm glad Nintendo is going out in a blaze of dementia" is my favourite response to this so far.

Shame that guy is misreporting the news.

I liked the video.

Shame about no live conference but I'm not suprised. I just dont think there is enough to show to do a live conference.

I liked the video.

Shame about no live conference but I'm not suprised. I just dont think there is enough to show to do a live conference.

How is that logical?

You do realise that the amount they showed in the E3 Direct last year is on par with what they'd show in a conference. It was just shorter because they didn't waste 10+ minutes on gameplay demos, trendy guest stars and pauses for applause.

It was just shorter because they didn't waste 10+ minutes on gameplay demos, trendy guest stars and pauses for applause.

The latter shouldn't have been a worry.

Ba-dum-cha!

:heh: