NEurope
Josh64

How do you look so fabulous thread

Why would you want to look like someone in their early 20s? I can't think of anything more horrific (except being mistaken for a teenager).

Trying to look young is like clear alcohol;

clear-alcohol.gif

If you can, grow a beard - it'll change your life. Although, word of warning, if your beard looks anything less than utterly magnificent, get rid of it. Bad beards are the worst.

I like looking young. Much better than looking old. It's nice to be mistaken for a late teenager/early 20s person.

Edited by Serebii

You are young. Why do you want to look even younger?

Because before too long, I'll be old, have a broken hip, a walking stick, a zimmerframe and be constantly asking "What did he say?" while watching movies.

That's inevitable and trying to look younger won't stop that, it will just make you unable to enjoy the time getting there as you'll constantly be worrying about how old you look.

That's inevitable and trying to look younger won't stop that, it will just make you unable to enjoy the time getting there as you'll constantly be worrying about how old you look.

I don't have to worry about it, that's the thing :p

I shaved last night for the first time in 3 months (normally have a beard) and man, I hate how I look. I look WAY too young and I don't look like a man at all. That said I think I'll get used to it when I get a haircut and sort my side burns out lol. I've got some decent shaving stuff too...I got a nice shaving brush and soap from my girlfriends parents so I should really use it more, but the beard looks so damn good ;)

Every now and again I think about shaving. Then I laugh because that's a fucking stupid idea.

I keep contemplating levelling off my beard and then putting more care into it. This currently just happened through lack of care.

You have to be careful with beards. Too long and you look like a terrorist/a homeless wizard/a shit ZZ Top impersonator/Castro.

1610076_10153797869900581_1618986603_n.jpg

I think Joel from The Last of Us is the benchmark for rugged beards.

Speaking of beards, for those of you who didn't/can't see my FaceBook status, I trimmed my beard yesterday and the beard outlasted the trimmer, which ran out of batteries (fresh set). I also clogged the sink twice. I still have enough hair on my face to call it a full beard.

Man points: infinity.

Edited by Goafer

I like looking young. Much better than looking old. It's nice to be mistaken for a late teenager/early 20s person.

I'm going to agree with you here. Looking young doesn't mean you look immature; actions do a far better job of that. Shaving makes you look young in a good way, I think. Given our society is generally obsessed with looking younger, there's just something inherent about our comparisons between age and looking attractive (not that older people can't look attractive, but more people aim to look younger once they reach late 20s/30s than they try to look older). Admittedly some people have made it work for them, but far more often it never seems to work, in my opinion.

Regarding beards, I generally don't like the look of them, with a few exceptions. A few times when people I know have chosen to shave a beard they've had for a while I've thought 'wow, that really does take the years off you'. It would also be a massive turn off for my girlfriend if I had a beard, who I know doesn't like them. And who can blame her? A wirey bush on your face that she could feel upon contact. There's also the possibility of food getting in a beard which is just gross, although not exactly unavoidable.

But, yeah... I really don't like beards. Both the look and feel, I don't like.

I think "the rules" (which I may or may not agree with BTW) are different for men and women. Yes, women tend to want to look younger, but guys get better with age. An older looking guy (but not too old) looks more authoritative, more mature and generally less "testosterone filled teenager". That may not be the case when it comes to their actual personality, but the first impression will be one of a mature man.

I personally prefer myself with a beard, but no too long. (See "rule of Joel" posted above). I look far too young if I'm clean shaven. My other half prefers the beard too and, for some reason, is quite infatuated with "beard smell" (her words).

Better With a Beard

Hey guys, so I was curious, what things do you do to make yourself look good?

I've started this thread because damn, just lately looking in the mirror I've felt like donning a potato sack (like Resi 4) and running around with a chainsaw.

The main thing is my eyes, I'm almost like a panda now because they're so dark underneath. So does anyone know what stuff I could use to make my eyes less dark/deadly?

And in general, feel free to share your tips on how you look youthful/good on how you eat, what you do and what you wear!

Do you moisturise? A good all-body moisturiser after a shower brings you back on yo' feet!... Though I still can't decipher if the habit of moisturising oneself after every shower is just a 'black thing' or for primarily sensitive skin - But there is a clear difference between using and not using.

Do you sleep enough? (speaking as an ex PT, you need your 7 hours min).

Wasn't it recently "scientifically" proven that beards are only attractive to females when they're uncommon, which is not the case these days?

My job is client facing so I have to shave to look presentable. Any beards pretty much have to be perfectly groomed/trimmed to be acceptable, otherwise it just comes across as you not bothering to care about your appearance.

I personally shave every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. Sometimes when I can't be arsed I'll skip Friday since Friday is usually pretty relaxed and casual anyway, but if there's an important meeting then I'll be sure to shave.

Beards are perhaps a better "casual" look, but a clean wet shave plus a nice haircut and a well-fitted suit makes you look and feel stunning.

Just had a quick Google and there does appear to be a study that suggests that. But then again, other studies show different things.

It's all irrelevant really, as most guys aren't looking for "most women". They're looking for "a woman" and that woman's opinion could be anything.

Just had a quick Google and there does appear to be a study that suggests that. But then again, other studies show different things.

It's all irrelevant really, as most guys aren't looking for "most women". They're looking for "a woman" and that woman's opinion could be anything.

Indeed. The perfect woman for someone could want a beard shaved into the shape of a yo-yo.

Indeed. The perfect woman for someone could want a beard shaved into the shape of a yo-yo.

WHO TOLD YOU?!

Oh, you said beard. Never mind. Carry on...

Pubes...

Or the perfect woman could be one who has a beard herself.

@Zell - My job ( isn't client facing but is in a large organisation and we need to scrub up. A few months ago they decided that we could have a dress-down Friday (for non-client facing employees). This was picked up in the papers saying that the company was incredibly unprofessional.

I find the difference between men's and women's office attire quite astonishing. Men here all wear a shirt and tie apart from the odd guy who goes tie-less. The vast majority of women are incredibly casual. Trousers and a blouse or cardigan.

I don't do anything about my appearance in particular, really; I shower regularly, brush my teeth, get a haircut once in a while ... the common things. I am confident I could be eating and sleeping a lot better than I do currently, though.

Regarding my beard, since I started shaving it again I've heard rather differing opinions. Apparently beards are quite the divise issue. :heh:

@Goron_3

And yeah, I started (light) exercising 2 months ago now. I stick to a bare minimum of 30 push ups and sit ups morning and night which isn't much but even that has made me feel miles better. In-between I've got a few new things to get me going like Kinect, not exactly the gym but it's a good replacement for sitting around on my ass in my free time I think :p

If you're doing some light exercising at home, may I suggest doing a programme like P90X? You need minimal equipment and you can do it in your living room, if you've got some space. It's pretty intense at first but once you get used to it, you start seeing results pretty quickly. @Zell is currently half way through it and he's looking better than ever. It's a pretty good substitute for the gym, imo :)

If you're doing some light exercising at home, may I suggest doing a programme like P90X? You need minimal equipment and you can do it in your living room, if you've got some space. It's pretty intense at first but once you get used to it, you start seeing results pretty quickly. @Zell is currently half way through it and he's looking better than ever. It's a pretty good substitute for the gym, imo :)

Following on that, Wii Fit also helps.

I know, you may think this is just me being a fanboy, but if it wasn't for Wii Fit, I'd have put the weight back on. By the end of university, I had got down to 12 stone from 18. Then, I went up to 15 stone because I wasn't doing too much. Wii Fit then came out and since then, I dropped to between 9 and a half and 10 (depends on how much chocolate my parents keep feeding me) and have maintained this weight for 4 years now.

I know, you may think this is just me being a fanboy, but if it wasn't for Wii Fit, I'd have put the weight back on. By the end of university, I had got down to 12 stone from 18. Then, I went up to 15 stone because I wasn't doing too much. Wii Fit then came out and since then, I dropped to between 9 and a half and 10 (depends on how much chocolate my parents keep feeding me) and have maintained this weight for 4 years now.

Any regular exercise is good, no matter where you get it from. Wii Fit is obviously pretty basic but if it gets you off the couch then what's the harm, right?

That said, P90x is absolutely fantastic and it's the reason why I'm in much better shape now vs a year ago. I went from 12st 10 and 24% body fat to 14st and 16% body fat. I can now lift more and run faster than I ever could and I've done most of it from my living room. It's also fun as well, which I think is important if you're not naturally exciting by the thought of exercise.

I always felt slightly self conscious wearing t-shirts and polos as despite being my size they always 'wore me', not vice versa..I was pretty scrawny as a teenager :heh: Not any more though..my arms actually look twice as big! My legs feel like tree trunks too...haha.

It definitely will help. A programme like P90x will help even more as it adds proper resistance training into the mix.

Xbox Fitness has P90x and a few other similar workouts all built in, if I had space in my room to do it I'd be all over it.