NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Suits

I've got a school reunion at the end of next month, and it will be a "black tie" event. I've also got my sister's wedding to attend later this year.

The thing is, I don't own a suit and the last time I wore one was 16 years ago. So I have no idea what kind of suit to buy. Go I get a Primark suit, get one made or something in between?

You can get decent enough suits for around £100-150 from places like M&S, Next, Topman, Burtons etc. I tend to go Topman as they tend to fit me better, but I'd personally spend a bit more and not go for Primark. But then I do enjoy wearing suits (even if I seldom do it :p).

If you want one for both the reunion and sister's wedding I think a black jacket/trousers might be best, and just different shirts (white for the reunion if you want to go formal, and something to match the colour scheme of your sister's wedding).

I really want the suit Barney wore in 2018 in the HIMYM finale, if someone happens to know what it was...

Also try looking for an independent suit outlet. They often have designer suits at a reasonable price.

Before you go though, I'd head to somewhere like TM Lewin, Debenhams etc. and get yourself measured up. If you're not used to wearing suits then it's easy to get the wrong size and fit. You'll see a few people who are wearing blazers that are too big for them, because they try it on and it feels "more comfortable".

Black tie is meant to mean full dinner jacket etc.. More than just a suit, it's usually a cummerbund, bow tie, cufflinks.... The phrase "black tie" is thrown around erroneously from time to time, I would get that confirmed.

If so I would just rent.

Yep. What Shorty says. Suits don´t equal tuxedos / dinner suits. If suits are fine (i.e. they´re not strict about it), go to something like Suit supply, but you´re better off renting a dinner suit. Make sure you do this well in advance though, to make sure there´s actually a nice one available in your size when you need one. Renting one will supply you with everything you need, including things like cuff links.

Personally, I´d want to own a nice one eventually, for those few events where you could actually use them. Then of course, use them whenever I can just to show off :p.

If anyone has bought a suit from Primark here I apologize for any offence caused, But I really did not like their suits much.

Burton have rather good nice fitting suits, and often have bundles that include shoes free with the suit and such.

For the last wedding I went to I picked up a 3 piece suit and shoes from Burton for £90

[..]

Then of course, use them whenever I can just to show off :p.

Black tie is meant to mean full dinner jacket etc.. More than just a suit, it's usually a cummerbund, bow tie, cufflinks.... The phrase "black tie" is thrown around erroneously from time to time, I would get that confirmed.

I'm fairly certain that it's not a full dinner jacket/tuxedo event, and that they mean regular suits. It's a reunion in a shitty town in Wales and the buffet is pizza.

We went to a black tie event with work (an awards ceremony). My bosses swore up and down that 'black tie' just meant formal. They rented full dinner suits anyway, and I went in black suit/black tie with a black bow tie in my pocket as backup.

Lets just say, I'm glad I had the backup. My colleague being the only person in the whole room wearing a non-white shirt, normal tie and no jacket was less than happy :p

It's awkward as fuck when you're unsuitably dressed (I went to a birthday overdressed, and then a Christening underdressed in the same week once) so just double check!

I'm fairly certain that it's not a full dinner jacket/tuxedo event, and that they mean regular suits. It's a reunion in a shitty town in Wales and the buffet is pizza.

Still, you might want to check with your sister what her plans are for her wedding. I hope she´s not serving a pizza buffet at least ;).

If it is a black tie event and a tux is needed I would recommend just renting one. Unless you're Scottish and own a kilt with a jacket in which case that is acceptable for black tie events!

If you're looking for a suit I would highly recommend Slaters. Their flagship store in Glasgow holds the world record for the most amount of suits in a shop. I assume that their Manchester store is similarly stocked. They have a wide range of suits for all sizes, colours, styles and budgets.

If you're looking for a decent suit that will last you a while I'd recommend spending £100-150, something a bit classier than maybe up to £200. For that you'll get a fantastic fitting suit that will look class.

Make sure you get yourself measured, if you're not used to wearing a suit then the CSRs in Slaters will be able to tell you if it fits or not. Don't assume that you know what fits just because it's comfortable. You don't want to look like you're wearing your dad's old suit like Michael in that Arrested Development scene. Reddit's guide to suit fitting is very good - I'd recommend reading over it.

Agree that it's best to check, although most "black tie" events just mean "suit and tie" nowadays. Non-black suits and non-white shirts usually accepted also.

Tuxedos are boring as fuck (and I do actually own a decent one).

It's awkward as fuck when you're unsuitably dressed (I went to a birthday overdressed, and then a Christening underdressed in the same week once) so just double check!

In the case of doubt I prefer to be overdressed rather than underdressed. For events I just like to dress nicely, to put thought and care into what I wear, even if it might seem like overkill in a t-shirt-and-jeans context (which is all I wear on a daily basis).

Tuxedos are boring as fuck (and I do actually own a decent one).

I agree that tuxedo events usually leave very little room for imagination in the men's wear department, but I have seen tuxedos that play with the classic elements and take the look in a more interesting direction. I do prefer suits, though, for the very reason that they simply allow for more freedom and creativity. I'd love to see even more variation in men's formal wear in general, though; take something like this, for example:

184520_10152902477270237_980205417_n.jpg

I agree that tuxedo events usually leave very little room for imagination in the men's wear department, but I have seen tuxedos that play with the classic elements and take the look in a more interesting direction. I do prefer suits, though, for the very reason that they simply allow for more freedom and creativity. I'd love to see even more variation in men's formal wear in general, though; take something like this, for example:]

I agree. Creativity and formality seem to be polar opposites with menswear. Women get to have all the fun.

At least it's easier with us, don't have to worry as much about what level of formality it is.

For the last wedding I went to I picked up a 3 piece suit and shoes from Burton for £90

Are you serious? On a special discount or something? I don't even need a new suit or shoes but damn I'd be tempted on a £90 ensemble. Having said that actually I did recently get a cheapish clearance line machine washable suit from BHS+shoes for probs sub £100(plus another nice jacket for about a tenner, no trousers my size sadly). It wasn't the best sort of suit but really I just want something fresh/new for a one off conference, then I'll just use it as a low-level suit later on.

I'd say if it isn't proper black tie formal and a suit is fine and you'll need one then just make/set a day and do a bit of a high street trawl if you've got a good one nearby @Cube. Department stores, mens, etc. I've never gone with a Primarni suit so I can't judge them, and I wouldn't rule them out, but so far I've not been tempted by one.

Little hijack but what IS appropriate wear for a christening? I've only ever been to one(work colleague, though we're close than average) and managed to sort of hit it halfway with a suitish+jumper(I find a jumper kind of does it down a bit) but it was small anyway and everyone was a bit generally mixed. I'm due at another in a few weeks that's a bit more important to me and I don't really know what to wear but I also can't bring myself to potentially embarrass myself having to ask.

Little hijack but what IS appropriate wear for a christening? I've only ever been to one(work colleague, though we're close than average) and managed to sort of hit it halfway with a suitish+jumper(I find a jumper kind of does it down a bit) but it was small anyway and everyone was a bit generally mixed. I'm due at another in a few weeks that's a bit more important to me and I don't really know what to wear but I also can't bring myself to potentially embarrass myself having to ask.

As I said, when in doubt, I'd always rather overdress than underdress. But what's so embarrassing about having to ask? I think it's the polite thing to do; you want your clothing to, if you'll excuse the pun, suit their expectations for the occasion.

Are you serious? On a special discount or something? I don't even need a new suit or shoes but damn I'd be tempted on a £90 ensemble. Having said that actually I did recently get a cheapish clearance line machine washable suit from BHS+shoes for probs sub £100(plus another nice jacket for about a tenner, no trousers my size sadly). It wasn't the best sort of suit but really I just want something fresh/new for a one off conference, then I'll just use it as a low-level suit later on.

I'd say if it isn't proper black tie formal and a suit is fine and you'll need one then just make/set a day and do a bit of a high street trawl if you've got a good one nearby @Cube. Department stores, mens, etc. I've never gone with a Primarni suit so I can't judge them, and I wouldn't rule them out, but so far I've not been tempted by one.

Christening attire is pretty easy. It's standard 'good' church clothes. Wear some nice trousers and a shirt/jumper with a tie or even just a full suit. I'd stay away from jeans unless it's a casual affair.

I wear my kilt with a white shirt and black/navy v neck. Smart but not evening smart. I wear similar on Christmas Day, you can spruce it up with a tie if you want to be a bit smarter.

Unfortunately It doesn't appear to be in store anymore as 3 piece (was bought for a wedding 2 years ago)

but this is the jacket in Burton,

http://www.burton.co.uk/en/bruk/product/clothing-281559/mens-suits-281576/mens-tailored-fit-suits-281683/grey-tailored-fit-tipped-suit-jacket-1770968?refinements=category~%5b209084%7c209079%5d&bi=21&ps=20

The deal was the 3 piece suit for £90 and shoes were free. Just an in store offer.

mine and my best men suits for my wedding were 3 piece suits again from Burton for £120 (we've not gone with proper wedding / penguin suits, but tailored fit normal grey suits)

Damn I thought this was about the TV series!

I hate suits. I buy one every 5 years for a formal occasion. Leaves me £100 out of pocket and I just get too fat to wear it again.

(sorry no advice -- topman and next both had great staff that measured me and advised me, and if I hadn't been shopping with someone else I wouldn't have taken the measurements and gone somewhere cheaper).

As I said, when in doubt, I'd always rather overdress than underdress. But what's so embarrassing about having to ask? I think it's the polite thing to do; you want your clothing to, if you'll excuse the pun, suit their expectations for the occasion.

Because I'd probably be the only one having to ask :p

Christening attire is pretty easy. It's standard 'good' church clothes. Wear some nice trousers and a shirt/jumper with a tie or even just a full suit. I'd stay away from jeans unless it's a casual affair.

I wear my kilt with a white shirt and black/navy v neck. Smart but not evening smart. I wear similar on Christmas Day, you can spruce it up with a tie if you want to be a bit smarter.

I have never really had need of church clothes y'see, as churches have never really been my thing. However I know most of the folks I know and those involved in the Christening are from at least slightly religious backgrounds(plus most of the girls went catholic school). Don't think I can quite rock a kilt in this instance, though ;) Prob's opt for a full suit dealie, no tie. In fact, maybe my recently acquired suit!

I have never really had need of church clothes y'see, as churches have never really been my thing. However I know most of the folks I know and those involved in the Christening are from at least slightly religious backgrounds(plus most of the girls went catholic school). Don't think I can quite rock a kilt in this instance, though ;) Prob's opt for a full suit dealie, no tie. In fact, maybe my recently acquired suit!

It's very rare that you can go wrong wearing a suit. A lot of the older generation will still wear a suit to church every week.

Go to Primark I'd say I bought a cheap one from there as a second cheaper set and it's held up surprisingly well and is actually pretty well fitted.

As a school reunion I doubt it means truly black tie.

It's very rare that you can go wrong wearing a suit. A lot of the older generation will still wear a suit to church every week.

I'd say the new "catch all" outfit is suit with no tie.

Sign in to follow this