NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water (30th Oct)

I played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'll wait until it's cheap to buy.

At this point, I'm hoping the value of the game never drops as I can see myself selling it on if it doesn't pick up :hmm:

I'm still in the extremely early stages and have only played it in a handful of short bursts but I don't 'get' it yet ::shrug: As I mentioned before, I've played the Wii Edition of Project Zero 2 so I expected the transition to be relatively comfortable but the controls and the camera techniques definitely haven't clicked at this early stage.

Pressing ZR to follow a trail every few steps is really breaking fluidity, too :blank:

Picked this up today, haven't had a chance to play yet, gonna try get the kids to bed soon so I can play in some peace :)

Unboxing Vid of the Limited Edition for for those who havent got it but want a look inside

Managed to play a bit over the weekend, so far am enjoying it. Controls a bit tricky with use the Gamepad/camera, more so in the button layout for me, wish you could costumise the layout. At first I kept wanting to hold "L" to get teh character to use the camera as if I was playing ZombiU and wanting to use the scanner. :P

At first I kept wanting to hold "L" to get teh character to use the camera as if I was playing ZombiU and wanting to use the scanner. :P

That explains why I keep doing that!

This is a really good game to play on these dark nights. I do wish there was a smidgen more voice acting instead of just subtitles. The atmosphere is excellent.

Finished the main story last night.

LOVED THE GAME

Took some time to get used to the controls. Unlike using the Gamepad as a Scanner in ZombiU, there's of course more of an urgency when using it as the Camera Obscura, once you get the hang of locking onto ghosts during fights its fine and general quick movement for "Spirit Photographs" (non threathing ghosts)

Character control also takes getting used to, tank-like controls as per usual for the franchise. Would have liked a bit of an update to make it a bit more fluid but I do understand they likely did it intentionally so as to keep the pace of the game down so that it maintains the atmosphere and tension to make it a proper survival horror.

Being able to look back up at the telly and seeing a more "bigger picture" or your surrounding was nice too. Like if you were actually holding the camera you could peek up from it to see a bit more than what the viewfinder shows but you loss any images that can only been seen from the camera.

The story was good, though of the 3 Fatal Frame games I've now played (the other two being FF4 and FF2:Remake on Wii) I would rank this 3rd in terms of story.

The first 2 thirds of the story felt a little bit disjointed and was hard to tell what the overall arch was, felt more like 3 different stories being told at the same time, which I guess it was but there seemed to be a lack of urgency as to what the overall endgame might be.

It did pull it together in the last 3rd though but should have managed it sooner.

It also seemed to lack the fear of there being one big bad ghost roaming about that was too strong to fight so you had to run.

Well it did have that but it was only introduced very late into the game and you only have like 3 encounters with it. Where as the previous 2 games I had introduced that type of ghost early on and you encounter them a bunch of times that it created that extra bit of fear for the whole game about when it would reappear, you'd be entering rooms already planning an escape route just in case.

That said though it was still a decent story and the location was very different than the previous games which were more contained within the confines of an old abandon hospital (FF4) and a ruined abandoned village (FF2) where this is a whole mountain so there are a number of differing locations and most of it takes place outdoors.

Seems there's some bonus levels as I unlocked one after finishing last night, was too late though so havent tried it yet. I will definately at some point though be attempting a 2nd play on the now unlocked Nightmare mode....likely after I finish with Xenoblade sometime next year :D

I bought this just over a year ago but sort of lost interest not long after my most recent post in this thread :blank:

With the smell of pumpkins and fireworks still fresh in the air, I returned last week in an attempt to embrace the horror! The most frightening thing is that I still can't quite get into it and each session with it feels like an eternity :hmm:

I'm currently making my way through the Sixth Drop and it almost discourages me to think that there's probably still a considerable way to go.. and it shouldn't be that way. I don't hate it (in fact, there are times when I actually like it :heh:) but I don't want it to be a slog to see it through to the end.

Has anyone else played Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water since its release last year..?

I'm a fan of the series and have played all the games in the series so far.

I bought this game last year directly from Nintendo and then saw the prices shoot up because Nintendo handled the release of this game poorly imo. I don't actually have a Wii U yet although I have a few games for the system already so in answer to your question sorry I've got the game but not played it yet. :sad:

I know that some people have complained about the lack of Japanese costumes in the western release but the biggest issue was the lack of a limited physical release in North America. Of course this doesn't affect me but still I don't think it was fair. If people wanted the Japanese version costumes then Nintendo could have offered that as paid DLC and made some money out of it. Again a lost issue with Nintendo.

If Nintendo had made a few more physical copies they could have sold them during Halloween and during the year but there you go.

I very much like the series, so I was very happy this gitca Western release. I was disappointed by the Wii-version of Project Zero 2. I adore PZ2, but the controls in the Wii-version really brought it down.

I like Maiden, but te biggest drawback for me is that, when compared the the previous entries (not counting the 3DS one), it's not very scary. :/

I cleared this game the other night and my impressions are below..

Those of you who follow me on Miiverse may be aware that I cleared Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water a couple of nights ago : peace:

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

To be honest, I don't feel great about my time spent with the game :hmm:

Maiden of Black Water may not have been the longest game ever created but it felt like it at times :blank: A large part of that was down to the fact that I wasn't really enjoying it that much and it regularly felt like such a slog!

The combat with the Camera Obscura consistently frustrated me throughout :mad: There were many occasions where I felt like I finally had a rhythm only for the net enemy to come along and make life difficult. The amount of times I had 'Shutter Chances' available while my camera reloaded made me angry as the majority of the time the moment was gone just as I was able to pull the trigger, sometimes leaving me open again while the ghost would decide to attack..

I still feel a little sick knowing that I spent £49.99 on this but there's always a chance it'll be worth a considerable amount in future given that it's the limited edition physical version.

I did, however, enjoy the cut scenes when going in for a 'fatal glance' on enemies you had just beat. The grainy, VCR quality of the 'footage' provided something much creepier than anything the rest of the game had to offer and actually made me want a game made entirely in that style!