NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water (30th Oct)

The thing with the bikini costumes is they are completely pointless - they're purely there for titillation and add nothing to the protagonists' character.

We know Nintendo aren't totally against any sexualisation - we got Bayonetta after all, and although she wears some questionable costumes, the overt sexuality is part of her personality. There's absolutely no reason for the girls in this game to be in bikinis. They add nothing.

What they've done is remove something that is just there to objectify the girls in it, and replaced it with some nice bonus costumes for Nintendo fans. I can't see the problem with that, personally. Sure, they might be nice to look at, but really, they're unneeded.

Yeah, that's why I'm perfectly fine with this change. Plus the girls are clearly very young and certainly (I think myself anyway) look like they could be underage...

The thing with the bikini costumes is they are completely pointless - they're purely there for titillation and add nothing to the protagonists' character.
What, even though one of them is actually meant to be a Gavure Idol? :indeed:

Anyway, check out this thread on Neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127261

The cutscenes have also been messed with. :nono:

Yeah, that's why I'm perfectly fine with this change. Plus the girls are clearly very young and certainly (I think myself anyway) look like they could be underage...
They're just petite, funnily enough like a lot of Japanese women are.

What, even though one of them is actually meant to be a Gavure Idol? :indeed:

Anyway, check out this thread on Neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127261

The cutscenes have also been messed with. :nono:

They're just petite, funnily enough like a lot of Japanese women are.

The fact she is supposedly a gravure idol adds absolutely nothing to the plot. It's one insignificant detail in one cutscene, probably put in simply justify the bikini costume. It's definitely not a main part of her character.

I just think we expect erotic content to jump through so many hoops before it's accepted, to the point that it's not accepted at all. So much of gaming is ridiculous, gratuitous and not at all necessary, but we never, ever expect anything apart from eroticism to be cut out. I'd argue the lingerie outfits fit the aesthetic of this game far more than the Nintendo suits. You can have as much violence as you like, but as soon as there's something sexual it has to "add to the character" or "add to the plot".

I just think we expect erotic content to jump through so many hoops before it's accepted, to the point that it's not accepted at all. So much of gaming is ridiculous, gratuitous and not at all necessary, but we never, ever expect anything apart from eroticism to be cut out. I'd argue the lingerie outfits fit the aesthetic of this game far more than the Nintendo suits. You can have as much violence as you like, but as soon as there's something sexual it has to "add to the character" or "add to the plot".

Yeah, there is a good point to be made for that. The whole idea of AO Rating = Ban in the US is utterly absurd. Movies have the X rating, so why can't erotic games at least get a limited distribution? It's terrible that there's a blanket ban on erotic content in this industry outside of PC!

That being said, there's also an argument to be made for appropriability and I would argue that in this specific case, the costumes are of questionable taste... Considering the otaku culture present in Japan and the series' historic poor sales, it's very possible that it might actually have been forced onto the developers against their wishes in the first place in order to sell a few more copies to that crowd... (especially with Team Ninja getting involved with this one...)

It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened... Even with Nintendo as publisher! Just look at the way the Fire Emblem series is heading with Awakening and especially Fire Emblem Fates (speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the face rubbing/waifu simulator stuff gets exorcised entirely in the western version and I would once again say that it's for the better because it absolutely is not appropriate for a series like Fire Emblem to be pandering to the Loveplus crowd!)

Edited by Dcubed

It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened... Even with Nintendo as publisher! Just look at the way the Fire Emblem series is heading with Awakening and especially Fire Emblem Fates (speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the face rubbing/waifu simulator stuff gets exorcised entirely in the western version and I would once again say that it's for the better because it absolutely is not appropriate for a series like Fire Emblem to be pandering to the Loveplus crowd!)

I certainly hope so. That has no business being in a FE game. Peer Schneider has been playing the Japanese version of Fates and isn't happy with the inclusion. He says he feels really awkward doing it.

I certainly hope so. That has no business being in a FE game. Peer Schneider has been playing the Japanese version of Fates and isn't happy with the inclusion. He says he feels really awkward doing it.

I thought Fire Emblem Amie was completely optional... So he could just not do that.

Because I sincerely hope it is, petting Pokemon is one thing, but in Fire Emblem, it would just feel sinister and creepy.

I'm with the costumes being cut too... they're just a bit gross and don't fit with a horror game for me at all. Nintendo ones don't either but at least they're fun and inoffensive for a second run through or something.

Full game on eShop is £39.99, so that's quite a bit cheaper than the retail version!

LE is back in stock at the Nintendo Store.

Either they made a mistake or that sold out FAST, because it's gone now!

It came in stock over the weekend, so its had a few days to sell out.

Full game on eShop is £39.99, so that's quite a bit cheaper than the retail version!

It came in stock over the weekend, so its had a few days to sell out.

Was still in stock when I posted it. :(

Anyone else get their copy from Nintendo today? Played through the first couple of chapters and enjoying it so far.

Eurogamer absolutely ripped into this game in their review.

They did. After I read it I thought I might have made a mistake buying it. I think my views of it will be more aligned with what the review here at n-europe said though so hopefully it won't be a mistake.

Anyone else get their copy from Nintendo today? Played through the first couple of chapters and enjoying it so far.
Yeah, I've just played through the first few chapters.

Not massively impressed so far though, if I had to sum this game up in one word at the moment, it'd be slow. :heh:

I know the idea is to create atmosphere, build tension and what have you, but seriously, who the hell opens doors or picks stuff up like that? :laughing:

It's actually creating the opposite of the desired effect, and just making me laugh instead.

Game is also very old-school both visually and control-wise, got a bit of a fifth-generation vibe to it. I don't really mind that though (quite like it actually :hehe:) but I imagine some people will find it unbearable.

But yeah, pretty sure this will grow on me, already has a little bit. I just hope the pace picks up slightly.

I reckon I'm gonna regret dropping £49.99 on this but I'm still looking forward to playing out over Halloween :smile:

Cant wait to play this later, picking it up before work, on a late shift, till 10pm, so at least by the time I get home it'll be dark, and kids should be asleep :)

Cant wait to play this later, picking it up before work, on a late shift, till 10pm, so at least by the time I get home it'll be dark, and kids should be asleep :)

I'm definitely interested in hearing your early impressions of the game :smile:

My copy arrived this afternoon from GAME but I've only briefly played through the first couple of tutorial sections. I'm definitely not blown away, nor did I expect to be at this, or any, stage, but my current feelings are that I need to stop thinking about just how much I spent on purchasing the game and try to get past the feeling that it almost certainly won't be worth it :blank:

If it wasn't for the limited release, I'd have been more than happy to wait for it..

My Gamestop didnt have my copy for me when I went in....BBBOOOOOOO

Might have to wait another week.... damn this limited edition only thing.

Might try Smyths today see if they have it and just move my deposit in gamestop to Xenoblade

I'm definitely interested in hearing your early impressions of the game :smile:

My copy arrived this afternoon from GAME but I've only briefly played through the first couple of tutorial sections. I'm definitely not blown away, nor did I expect to be at this, or any, stage, but my current feelings are that I need to stop thinking about just how much I spent on purchasing the game and try to get past the feeling that it almost certainly won't be worth it :blank:

If it wasn't for the limited release, I'd have been more than happy to wait for it..

Did you play any previous game in the series?

Did you play any previous game in the series?

I've played Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, which I thought was decent enough, and I expect something similar here. The Wii U Gamepad should help provide further immersion.. but we'll see :grin:

I've never played a Project Zero so decided to check out the demo, I'm not really that impressed and certainly won't be buying it.

It seems ok but I don't find it scary, it's almost like it's trying too hard to be scary. I actually found some of the ghosts/demons or whatever they are to be quite comical.

Also I've never been one for having to constantly change view points from TV to Gamepad (ZombiU was a bit frustrating in this sense and everyone loved that) so I hate the camera mechanic. And my god the controls are clunky.

I played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'll wait until it's cheap to buy.