NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

E3 Predictions 2014 - Wii U

I'm just home from work. Football was cancelled this evening so I've decided to hop on board the HyPe TrAiN :bouncy:

I may as well make a few predictions now given that the Nintendo Digital Event is only about 24 hours away! I consider them to be quite conservative, but you can trust Nintendo to drop well below even your lowest expectations :indeed:

I pReDiCt...

* Animal Crossing Wii U

I can't even pretend to be excited about the prospect of sitting through footage of that..

* Mario Strikers Wii U

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this one appear with a release date of Autumn 2014. I imagine it would also involve NFC :heh:

* The Legend of Zelda Wii U

We already know this is going to be shown, but it won't look anything like the demo shown during the original Wii U reveal. It won't be comparable to any previous game in the series and you will say "WOW" :blank:

* The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 3DS

I'm hoping for this to appear more than expecting it, really..

* Metroid 3DS

As much as I'd love a new Prime-style game on Wii U, I suspect we'll actually get a 2.5D handheld game instead.

* Advance Wars 3DS

As with Animal Crossing, not really a game that I would be particularly interested in.. but I'm sure fans would love to see it :smile:

I also predict that Yarn Yoshi will not be shown in any form and we will see a glimpse of Mario Kart 8 DLC coming later in 2014. Miyamoto's new game will also look weird and unappealing :wink:

Edited by nekunando

The fact is you all need Chibi Robo WiiU,

you just don't realise it yet

I hope Zelda U shows a good visual style, but also and more importantly good gameplay and interesting locations/ characters!

I think Majora's Mask should be a given by know.

If Metroid dread happens and it turns out to be a real pixel art 2D game (instead of the dreadfull 2.5D) I'll go crazy.

Alot of people see an anouncement for Animal Crossing U happen, but idk. New leaf is only a year out and it seems a bit early, especially considering how much time there was between previous releases. But you never know!

Edited by M_rock

We can add Miyamoto new IPs to the confirmed list

Mr. Miyamoto will be on #Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ #E3 tomorrow afternoon to show some of his new projects. Stay tuned for updates!

God I hope Zelda Wii U looks like the demo presentation from before. I'm a little worried that it's going to be controversial. I'm calling it that it will be.

• Paper Mario Wii U
  • Metroid 3DS
  • Pokemon Wii U
  • Some sort of sports title because we have none. Wii Sports U is a mess & doesn't count.
  • Announcement of DLC for Mario Kart
  • New character announcement for Smash Bros.. Characters reveal will run into a new game. F-Zero?
  • A couple of 3rd party partnership game announcements
  • Whatever Miyamoto has been working on. I bet it's quirky.

Edit: Already 1 prediction right with the last 1 but we kinda knew that already.

I like the fact it's SOME games. Lots of quirky eshop gamepad focussed games. Awesome!

I like the fact it's SOME games. Lots of quirky eshop gamepad focussed games. Awesome!

Wii Music U will be one of those eshop games

Miyamoto will not have let it die

Don't forget that it is confirmed, and has been for a couple of years now, that he is working on a whole new IP.

Captain Falcon gets confirmed for Smash Bros alongside an F-Zero GX HD remake.

f-zero-gx.jpg

I'd much rather they confirmed Andy (or whoever the main character is, they could easily change him and slightly design him with the Smash cross over in mind...) as a Smash character alongside an Advance Wars announcement.

Or you know, both...

God I hope Zelda Wii U looks like the demo presentation from before. I'm a little worried that it's going to be controversial.

Yes because the last time a Zelda game had a controversial art style it turned out sooo badly didn't it. :indeed:

Yes because the last time a Zelda game had a controversial art style it turned out sooo badly didn't it. :indeed:

Well, if it sells as well as that one, it should, with current hardware numbers, sell about as well as Wind waker HD.

How many GC's were sold by the time WW was released?

Well, if it sells as well as that one, it should, with current hardware numbers, sell about as well as Wind waker HD.

How many GC's were sold by the time WW was released?

Wind Waker was a great game. Bought it back on the Gamecube and again for the Wii U. I just remember the huge backlash at the time.

Not sure of the GC sales by the time it released but the Wii U is older at this stage than the GC was when Wind Waker released.

Edit: GC had sold 9.6 million units by the time Wind Waker launched here in Europe.

Edited by Wii

The point is controversial Zelda art style isn't a problem. Nintendo knows best when it comes to visuals, not whining fanboys like at the time of the Wind Waker reveal.

To be fair the first reveal trailer did look pretty bad. However, that GC tech demo has aged badly, unlike WW.

How much Smash news do you think we'll get? With the daily coverage and the Smash Bros. Direct, it feels like they shouldn't spend too much time on it tomorrow, but we'll probably get a release date (for 3DS at least), another trailer and a character reveal or two. Maybe they'll save that for the events through the week/round tables though. It'd be good if they kept tomorrow's show as new game announcements.

How much Smash news do you think we'll get? With the daily coverage and the Smash Bros. Direct, it feels like they shouldn't spend too much time on it tomorrow, but we'll probably get a release date (for 3DS at least), another trailer and a character reveal or two. Maybe they'll save that for the events through the week/round tables though. It'd be good if they kept tomorrow's show as new game announcements.

I know Nintendo won't do it, but I'd be tempted to leave it out completely and give us more information about something else instead. I feel that we already have waaaay too much info about Smash Bros. How much more can they possibly state without giving everything away? Maybe a firm/solid release date and leave it at that. Possibly a trailer about a mode we didn't know too much about beforehand.

I'm still going into the conference blind. I won't be able to watch any of the conferences due to being in work all day tomorrow, so am going to go back-to-back with Nintendo and Sony. Hoping both can surprise me. :D

We'll they have a specific smash 90 minute presentation during e3 so I hope it's left out altogether.

Except to unveil Falcon as a challenger returning right before F XERO GX HD ONLINE

Can someone please upload all the crazy e3 gif animated things , like the mega bullet bill bomb, shiggsy dancing in the car ect :)?

I really see where @Wii is coming from on this. If you look at what he said...

God I hope Zelda Wii U looks like the demo presentation from before. I'm a little worried that it's going to be controversial. I'm calling it that it will be.

...he didn't say "controversial art style = bad game". I even have a similar feeling - said so on the first page!

Just a few points:

* To me, the Zelda Cycle doesn't exist. Wind Waker looked great the first time I saw it (in a shop - not the E3 unveiling) and played great from the moment I slotted it into my GameCube, easily becoming my favourite Zelda after a few play sessions.

* On a similar note, Twilight Princess hasn't suddenly become a perfect game (most people see it as 8/10-ish, right?) It's just that no one knew Zelda would drift even further from its peak afterwards. A lot of people yearn for something as atmospheric as TP again, and I'm not ashamed to be amongst them.

* A difference this time is that the E3 2011 demo could easily be in-game graphics, running on an updated Zelda game engine. This is in contrast to the Link vs Gandondorf footage, which, in hindsight, was a touch unrealistic to expect the GameCube's Zelda to look like.

So that's my overall view on the matter. Nintendo has shown how a Wii U Zelda could work, and it looked very good indeed. I think the concern is that the actual game could be contrary to what people have come to want out of a console Zelda, not necessarily in terms of art style, but overall, in exactly the same way Super Mario 3D World was rather unusual and hard to appreciate in its first showing.

Anyway, I must be an idiot wading into this when we'll (probably) find out tomorrow. I might be proven wrong, and certainly hope to be.

Iwata's English has really improved, even picked up an English accent and some slang. Not sure about the beard though.

Wind Waker actually had an interesting world though. You hear people complain about the sea as they shout the loudest, but sailing the seas hunting secrets, ambient rain kicking in (creepily more often than not as it did at the EXACT same time in real life...) as you see a little island in the distance thinking, "ooooh, I wonder what secrets?" I'm not the only one that enjoyed surfing the waves, us guys just don't shout it off. It was more fun than galloping across an endless Hyrulean horizon, you thinking ooh, what's that? Oh right, NOTHING. Face it; Nintendo either makes it tight and compact riddled with secrets or big and expansive and almost bare. They simply don't have the time to fill a giant world with masses of secrets. Annoying yes.

What I'd like?

Big Hyrule landmass in the middle with the usuals around it (field, mountains, domain, lake etc.) except have a huge lake/river system in it with bridges. You can ride around on Epona, sail a little raft/barge boat/SOMETHING down and around the rivers/lakes. The rivers empty into the ocean which you can traverse with your little sail boat, with the map expanding a few map blocks each way(maybe further in some directions), with small islands to explore/sea stuff to do.

Of course, I can predict what's next. With the last game being in the sky (ish) I could see the next game having some sort of massive Hyrulean underground to be traversed that connects to various spots on Hyrule that you have to explore to get to the next surface area. Underside/Overside. They'll then mix the usual Zelda cliche landscapes with the underground landscape to create hybrid areas (y'know, like with Mario and mixing forest levels and poison to create poison forest etc.) I think an underground forest/jungle, with openings in the ceiling and moonlight/sunlight creeping through, gushing waterfalls and lakes reflecting the light as bugs glitter about, would look ace.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2