NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

E3 Predictions 2014 - Wii U

E3 predictions? Well...I'd say something like this:

-MASSIVE HYPE TRAIN

-everyone's jizzing all over the place in anticipation

-train goes off the tracks

-tears, lots of tears

Seriously though, I'm really not expecting anything. We've seen how Nintendo operates during the last year and a half, so that's what we're gonna get, more of the same. Bayonetta this, X that, Smash Brothers, Yoshi Yarn etc. Maybe some Quality of Living products too, and a few new quirky projects. That's the Nintendo of today for you.

I want to get hyped, I do, but just can't muster it. I have too many issues, though they aren't really Nintendo's fault.

Smash/Kart. The only thing that will see any real use for me will be single player...and that gets boring fast. Real-life players I know will not put any significant effort in to train, thus resulting in limp and boring multiplayer. My connection, while fast has a habit of being cut off/throttled, despite claims otherwise by Sky (I just let the last few months of my GOLD membership fade it had become so bad, and Gears of War was great multiplayer...)

All the Yoshi/Kirby releases...so far behind on them. They just don't perk my interest anymore, just too samey. Though I seriously doubt they will announce another new one this year.

There's another NEW Mario game coming. Why even pretend otherwise? You, I, and everyone else know it's coming. Not exactly thrilling stuff, though since going back to my Mario/Luigi U combo disc, I've been enjoying it.

The main game I have been looking forward to is the new Zelda. I realise I never really played Skyward Sword much due to TV issues and the upscaling looking like someone had smeared Zelda in garbage on my TV screen. It's clear though, that this will be The Year Of Zelda (like the Luigi/Yoshi etc.) We'll be getting a 3DS Zelda for sure, Wii U game, and Hyrule Warriors.

So to sum up, the only thing to look forward to for me is Zelda news. Unless they announce some sort of RPG mode for Smash, with levels to sprawl through and beat up various Nintendo enemies, while levelling up stats and collecting items. *CROSSES FINGERS*

So no live event just a stream , and no smash bros or any tournaments for the uk, sucks all rounds

If they did it in UK they'd have to do it everywhere else. It makes sense that they are only doing it in America given that E3 is an American event.

My Predictions

Only listing what I think will be the big announcements

3DS

Majora's Mask 3D

Super Mario 3D Land 2

2D Metroid by WayForward

Wii U

Zelda U

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Wii Sports Club - retail release

Luigi's Mansion 3

I would love 3D Land 2 ("Return to 3D Land"?) and another Luigi's Mansion

My Predictions

Only listing what I think will be the big announcements

3DS

Majora's Mask 3D

Super Mario 3D Land 2

2D Metroid by WayForward

Wii U

Zelda U

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Wii Sports Club - retail release

Luigi's Mansion 3

I'd be pretty happy with those 3DS titles! Throw in an advance wars title too and I'd be delighted :)

As for the Wii U, I just want to see:

-Release dates for X and Bayonetta.

-F-Zero

-Zelda U

-Miyamoto's new I.P.

It seems that all we really need is pizza with voice chat. Get on it, Nintendo!

I'm just pissed that one of my secret hopes got shot down

No Urban Champion 2 :(

That mention of "2014 and beyond" is a big clue BTW...

Zelda Wii U (which will probably be their big announcement here) is almost certainly a late 2015 game in that case (which will subsequently possibly get pushed back to 2016)

I suspect that the video will mostly consist of new trailers for the Wii U games that we already know about (which will also make up 90% of the rest of this year's lineup; with the possible exception of Fire Emblem X SMT). Otherwise we'll see Wii Sports Club Baseball and Boxing (the former of which will be released right after the presentation), followed by a retail version later on...

The last big surprise for Wii U will be a new Animal Crossing game, while 3DS will get a new Advance Wars...

I expect another drought until late July/early August where we'll get Bayonetta 2 and then one Wii U retail game per month for the rest of the year...

Otherwise the rest of the Direct will focus on late 3DS localisations of games like Fantasy Life, Yo-kai Watch and (hopefully!) Jam With the Band Pro; as well as a surprise release of the N64 Virtual Console on Wii U - exit stage left...

Edited by Dcubed

Zelda U in 2016? No way, either the end of this year or the end of 2015 at the latest IMO.

2D Metroid by WayForward

Wayforward are "good" developers at best so I hope this one doesn't happen.

I'm expecting nowt.

No seriously i'm not expecting that much to be honest. I want to be proved wrong though!

Wayforward are "good" developers at best so I hope this one doesn't happen.

This. Nintendo are the only ones who are capable of doing justice to Metroid.

Wayforward are pretty good devs in general (though they do have their "off" games), but not even close to the level of the likes of Nintendo themselves. They do make good games, but they are somewhat overrated in general...

WayForward are awesome! There may well be a big difference between their own projects and their licenced output, but that's to be expected. Assuming we are talking about their own projects, the individual components - sprites, controls, music - are unparalleled; it's just that their games are often considered shorter or less "full" than others.

However, I do agree there's no actual need for WayForward to make Metroid V. Nintendo are perfectly good enough - it just depends whether or not they have the inclination to do so.

WayForward are awesome! There may well be a big difference between their own projects and their licenced output, but that's to be expected. Assuming we are talking about their own projects, the individual components - sprites, controls, music - are unparalleled; it's just that their games are often considered shorter or less "full" than others.

However, I do agree there's no actual need for WayForward to make Metroid V. Nintendo are perfectly good enough - it just depends whether or not they have the inclination to do so.

Ironically enough, I actually think that their shorter and "less full" games are actually their best ones! They generally seem to make better games when they have a narrower focus IMO; Shantae GBC to Shantae: Risky's Revenge is a good example - the sequel might be less ambitious in scope than its predecessor, but it's a far more refined game and all the better for it!

Likewise, I much prefer Mighty Flip Champs to Mighty Milky Way (With Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2 somewhere in the middle - both MSF games are generally on par with one another too).

Ironically enough, I actually think that their shorter and "less full" games are actually their best ones! They generally seem to make better games when they have a narrower focus IMO; Shantae GBC to Shantae: Risky's Revenge is a good example - the sequel might be less ambitious in scope than its predecessor, but it's a far more refined game and all the better for it!

Yes, I totally agree. Risky's Revenge and the two Mighty Switch Force games are my favourites.

Zelda U in 2016? No way, either the end of this year or the end of 2015 at the latest IMO.

Agreed. 2016 is completely ruled out for a variety of reasons.

Let's not forget that Skyward Sword was a 2011 release. 3 years is ample time to create a brilliant game, atless you're Rockstar. 4 years and they better release something ground breaking. 5 years and someone should get sacked.

Aonuma also said that he was considering to show the game off at last years E3. Afterwards, he stated that we might still get a 2013 showing.

The Wii U is in deep s**t. It desperately needs killer apps to shift units. The later these potential killer apps get out, the less likely that it's possible to turn the situation around and get third parties back.

Besides, by christmas 2016 the console will be 4 years old already, and even if Nintendo would manage to turn the Wii U around, the next generation would be right around the corner. That being said, however, Skyward Sword was already too little too late for the original Wii, so Nintendo may actually do the same mistake again.

My predictions (pretty safe?)

• Zelda shown - Fall 2015 release
  • Metroid teaser - Retro Studies Fall 2015 release
  • X - Releasing in fall 2014 (March 2015 Europe/US)
  • Smash Bros. WiiU overload
  • Bayonetta 2 coming for Christmas 2014
  • A new party game - using NFC for cards and the gamepad acting as a spinning wheel or dice
  • More e-Shop titles, quick wins using famous IP
  • Mario Kart DLC (entice buyers into Nintendo's online eco system with their biggest 2014 release)
  • The Shin Megami Tensai/Fire Emblem crossover (or however it is pronounced)
  • The Zelda Warriors spin-off game
  • Yoshi's Yarn - which will be brilliant and beautiful, building on Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • NFC e-cards that are cheap to purchase that contain small titles that use the GamePad in silly, short and unique ways. Can come bundled in with games or bought seperately
  • A hint at the next 3DS Pokemon perhaps?
  • Something else from Next Level Games on the 3DS
  • WiiU quick launch and other new features launched during E3
  • VC gets an injection with DS and N64 games shown. Still no GC.

Outside of Ninty:

Loads of Unity games for e-Shop. A ridiculous amount infact

Shin'en games suddenly being shown in the limelight with their new racer. Hopefully showing a remastered version of Jett Rocket or a port of the sequel on the WiiU too.

Edited by tapedeck

Agreed. 2016 is completely ruled out for a variety of reasons.

Let's not forget that Skyward Sword was a 2011 release. 3 years is ample time to create a brilliant game, atless you're Rockstar. 4 years and they better release something ground breaking. 5 years and someone should get sacked.

Aonuma also said that he was considering to show the game off at last years E3. Afterwards, he stated that we might still get a 2013 showing.

The Wii U is in deep s**t. It desperately needs killer apps to shift units. The later these potential killer apps get out, the less likely that it's possible to turn the situation around and get third parties back.

Besides, by christmas 2016 the console will be 4 years old already, and even if Nintendo would manage to turn the Wii U around, the next generation would be right around the corner. That being said, however, Skyward Sword was already too little too late for the original Wii, so Nintendo may actually do the same mistake again.

The problem is, don't Zelda games sell terribly these days? Unless it gets incredible hype I'm not so sure it's a system seller. It's pretty depressing for instance that Twilight Princess only sold 5.5 million, and even worse Skyward Sword only 3 million. Spirit Tracks did 2.5 compared to New Super Mario and Nintendogs that sold 25-30mil. Such a big name like Zelda is actually quite niche, though not as much as say Metroid admitedly. If Nintendo want to shift consoles they need to find their next Wii Sports/Wii Fit/Nintendogs.

I know this is only anecdotal evidence, but I've met too many gamers in real life who play Zelda for me to consider it niche. One thing they all have in common though is that they couldn't really be bothered with the Wii or motion controls. The DS ones were quite nice, but hardly hype-inducing. Link Between Worlds was even better but, again, not really hype-inducing. This isn't meant to be inflammatory, but honestly, the last one they deserved to have a significant amount of hype for was Twilight Princess. (Ocarina of Time 3D and Wind Waker HD were 100% right, but a remake is still a remake.)

Not that I mean to be negative at all - I fully believe Nintendo can show us an exciting Zelda again, and if they sell 5m copies, I think that's not bad at all.

Edited by Grazza

The last big surprise for Wii U will be a new Animal Crossing game, while 3DS will get a new Advance Wars...

Though New Leaf is the only AC game I've played (and fallen in love with), I can easily imagine it being a series more suited to handhelds. Be amazing if they released DLC to New Leaf with tons of new content, or better yet a second AC game on the 3DS *carries on dreaming*