NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

Computer buying halps.

Final note; don't skimp out on a case. I just moved my PCs guts into a brand new case with nine fans - it reduced the GPU temperature by 15 degrees and the CPU temps by 10 under load. If you're ever planning on overclocking, or getting a GPU like the R9 290, you're going to need a well ventilated system.

So my brother just had to go and ruin this by buying a Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X graphics card the moment he saw that I was building a new computer. Obviously this is bothering me a lot. Is it worth upgrading from my measly Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X card before I start putting this thing together or should I stick with what I have, safe in the knowledge that my computer will be much better than his anyway (the rest of his components are about two years old)?

I've got the 290. It's about a hundred pounds cheaper and has a benchmark difference of about one or two frames from the 290x, but it's still not worth the upgrade from 280x. That card'll be fine for 1080p gaming for a couple years and you can upgrade later on seeing as the rest of your components will be good for a long while..

Okay, I'll stick with the 280x. The box is a nicer color, anyway.

Now I just have to wait until my power supply arrives, since the post office decided to send it on a detour to the wrong address. :blank:

Edited by Magnus

Well it's more a protection against losing a chunk of that money through fried components; the body can hold a greater charge than any component in a computer is capable of handling - one static discharge in the wrong place and there goes your motherboard.

Well, it took a month longer than I had hoped - thanks to my power supply taking a detour and a busted motherboard - but I finally have a new computer, and it runs like a dream. I mean, all I've used it for so far is browsing the internet, but the difference is palpable.

Anyway, I just thought I should thank you guys for all your help. :hehe:

Sign in to follow this