NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
V. Amoleo

GameCube RGB SCART Cable

Does anybody know if any of the available third party GameCube SCART cables are RGB?

They mostly look like composite to me but was wondering if anyone knew for definite.

Does anybody know if any of the available third party GameCube SCART cables are RGB?

They mostly look like composite to me but was wondering if anyone knew for definite.

I'm sure that I've seen some that are proper RGB, but the majority are indeed Composite IIRC...

Depending on your TV you might be best going for a component cable. I was looking for one a couple of weeks ago. They're quite pricey now and I was only realising then that I had multiple chances years ago to get one on the cheap but at that point I wasn't looking for it. You really should go with official cables if you can spare the cash and I mean a lot of it.

I remember looking at a Spice Gamecube, with matching controller and Gameboy player that sold for €45 and it was only 3 years ago. I was really stupid to pass it up. I was thinking of changing the shell on my PAL Gamecube but thought nah best not try that. Anyway there was an official component cable included with it as well. Sickening!

Edit: You may want to forget what I said. Back then it was about a tenner now just looking on Ebay and they're €100+. Holy $H1T!

Edited by Wii

Yeah, my original plan was to go for a component but at £100+ it's a bit out of my price range. Might pay the £40 for an official SCART though.

I had thought about buying a GameCube compatible black Wii and using my component cable for that but that'd not help with the Game Boy Player on the GameCube then.

I thought component cables didn't work with PAL Gamecube? Also it doesn't matter if a cable has those RCA out ports. I have one of those cables for PS2, and it works great, SCART end gives RGB picture and you can use the RCA outputs to connect to your AV receiver.

I thought component cables didn't work with PAL Gamecube? Also it doesn't matter if a cable has those RCA out ports. I have one of those cables for PS2, and it works great, SCART end gives RGB picture and you can use the RCA outputs to connect to your AV receiver.

Component Cables work perfectly fine on a PAL GCN (I have that cable myself) and 480p works perfectly fine too (obviously when using a Freeloader to play imports on it ;) )

As for those PS2 RGB SCARTS, they all have RCA ports on them - even the official ones (which I have - speaking of which; they work fine on US PS2s as well ;) ), so that's not really indicative of whether or not a GCN SCART cable supports RGB or not.

Really the only advice I can give is to take the plunge and find out... 3rd party cables are generally pretty cheap... but if they claim to also do RGB with a SNES or N64, then you know that the description is wrong. Official GCN RGB SCART cables do not work with a SNES or an N64 unless you force them to only output Composite (either through a SCART block adapter or through using a non-RGB SCART socket on your TV).

Edited by Dcubed

Thanks to UK's Distance Selling Regulations if you buy those cables and they aren't RGB then you are fully entitled to return the product and get a refund within 7 days. Since they have the composite things in the cable too that makes me believe that they are actually RGB cables. I had a bit of trouble getting true RGB cables for my PS2, turns out the ones that have composite cables and a switch were real RGB scart cables and the ones without were just composite SCARTs.

remember looking at a Spice Gamecube, with matching controller and Gameboy player that sold for €45 and it was only 3 years ago. I was really stupid to pass it up. I was thinking of changing the shell on my PAL Gamecube but thought nah best not try that.

Totes off-topicing but do you know anywhere to actually pick up spice shells cheap? For pads too? I'd contemplate reshelling one of my cubes - I stripped and sprayed one(terribly) before; it IS a bit time consuming because iirc you need to get to take all the insides out to get to one of the halves 'off' - but the insides are very layered!

Thanks to UK's Distance Selling Regulations if you buy those cables and they aren't RGB then you are fully entitled to return the product and get a refund within 7 days. Since they have the composite things in the cable too that makes me believe that they are actually RGB cables. I had a bit of trouble getting true RGB cables for my PS2, turns out the ones that have composite cables and a switch were real RGB scart cables and the ones without were just composite SCARTs.

If you do return under distance selling refunds you have to still pay your own return postage though right?

Totes off-topicing but do you know anywhere to actually pick up spice shells cheap? For pads too? I'd contemplate reshelling one of my cubes - I stripped and sprayed one(terribly) before; it IS a bit time consuming because iirc you need to get to take all the insides out to get to one of the halves 'off' - but the insides are very layered!

I've never done it and it's been a long time since I looked into it but you're better off just buying a spice Gamecube controller on Ebay. They can be reasonably priced and yes changing the shell on the console is alot of work.

I've never done it and it's been a long time since I looked into it but you're better off just buying a spice Gamecube controller on Ebay. They can be reasonably priced and yes changing the shell on the console is alot of work.

Ahh, I'd only do the pad if I did the console! I never considered just buying a shell, but then when you mentioned it wondered if you knew anywhere that did them(even unofficial ones). I'll have a peruse on ebay this evening - console's easy once you realise that it'll take a few extra minutes! I'd be more about doing it all on the cheap than dropping good money on a spiced pad. Wouldn't be keen on used, and I'd imagine brand new is probably rather pricey now!

Just an update on this.

I bought this RGB SCART cable for a fiver. It seems to be an actual RGB cable, so that's a plus.

The picture does seem better than when I was using the official composite cable which is bundled in with the GameCube.

I didn't mention this in the original post but I get fairly bad diagonal interference over composite. Unfortunately I'm still getting this (though it seems to be a tiny bit better). I wasn't expecting moving between analogue cables to improve the situation though. It's probably caused by the proximity to the power carrying HDMI cables or perhaps my GameCube should be plugged into a different power socket...

Update:

I remembered hearing that removing pin 19 from a SCART cable can help reduce interference. After opening up my cable I can confirm that it is indeed an RGB cable with all the required wires connections. The only thing missing is that none of the ground pins are connected up. Not sure if that's the way they're supposed to be. Pin 19 wasn't connected up but I removed it any way, just in case. It hasn't helped.

Edited by V. Amoleo

Sign in to follow this