NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PS3/360/PC)

jpg

Set between the two games, this cash-in "Pre-Sequel" is set on the moon-base you could see in the second game, has a new HUD bar for O2 which expires over time and can be used to fight. And you can play as Claptrap.

Is this a full game or something like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? Because it looks and sounds more like the latter.

I think more like a whole new game but on the same engine and under a different team to save monies. Not many risks or leaps forward being made. The Arkham Origins of the Borderlands series.

Could be pretty good, but they really need to confirm this for PS4/X1 first.

When you read this statement:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was built using the existing Borderlands 2 engine, and will launch on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC only - there is no next-gen version, Pitchford confirmed. This, he said, was because most Borderlands players are still on these platforms, which have a huge user base.

But why not make it for PS4 and Xbox One as well as PC, PS3 and Xbox 360?

"It's not free to build a game for next-gen," Pitchford explained. "So when we decide where to spend our resources, we want to spend all of the attention we can on the game itself.

"If you try to image the set of Borderlands players who have already upgraded, that's not 100 per cent. But if you try to image the set of Xbox One or PS4 owners who do not have an Xbox 360 or a PS3, the difference there is so close to nil you can't make a business rationalisation around that."

There is, of course, the seemingly inevitable Borderlands 3 (Borderlands 2 is the best-selling title in 2K history), but for now Gearbox is content building new games.

"We're making other games, too," Pitchford said. "I don't think I would have to stretch far to suggest there's probably a lot of demand for more Borderlands. That demand lives on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. We don't know to what extent it'll live on the next-gen. I imagine over time - maybe by the time we get to the third or fourth Christmas - there will be enough of an install base.

It's hard to argue the logic... Although I don't think this game will do anywhere near the numbers of 2 as so much of that userbase has moved on with no intention of going back to play on PS3 or 360. Quite annoying to read that we may not see a big enough user base of Xbox One/PS4 to see a new Borderlands until the consoles fourth xmas!

They do not have SEGA's money to funnel onto a game this time so having to go cheap :p

Well it's totally different this time - if the game is done on the cheap blame 2K.

Borderlands 2 shipped over 8m copies so it's no surprise they want to try and get a bit more in before they are caught in the cross gen migration... although I think they are already too late on that one.

Still, 2K are publishing and 2K Australia are doing the work with Gearbox, by the sounds of it, merely acting as consultantsin an advisory capacity - a task they'll no doubt be paid for. But given it's actually Gearbox who own the IP, they are essentially licensing out their own property in what is probably a really money spinner for them.

Sign in to follow this